9mm carbine stiff charging

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by jsquared3000, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

I just picked up a 9mm carbine that had a broke firing pin and the ATI stock already on it. I haven't been out to shoot it yet as i just received the firing pin. One thing that I noticed is that it takes an extreme amount of force to pull the charging handle all the way back. The last 1/2 inch of travel is extremely stiff and I can hardly get the charging handle to lock into the enlarged opening in the dust cover. When I cycle the gun with an empty mag the bolt doesn't seem to clear the back of the mag to pick up a round with out having to put a large amount of pressure the last 1/2 inch or so. Is this normal for these guns or is there something going on?

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Is it a 995 or a 995ts? This is important because the ati stock was not made for the ts. If it is a 995 it sounds like you have some fitment issues. I would remove the stock and check the fit. You may have to massage the stock a little.

3. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

It is the 995. It almost feels like the main spring is too long and is bunching up right at the end of bolt travel.

4. StikkerShokK

StikkerShokK Taxa-2-chits Member

Did you strip it, and make sure nothing is trapped in the spring?

5. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

I did strip it and everything looks fine. When I got it the internals were pretty dirty. Not sure how well the previous owner took care of it. I got it for cheap, but would still like to get it running good. I might try cutting a coil or two from the main spring and see if that helps.

6. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

Another question... does the bolt hold back on an empty mag with the original 995?

7. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

OK, took the new firing pin assembly out and it cycles all the way back without having to put extreme force on the charging handle. Looks like the new 2 spring set up is binding up.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No it doesn't.

As for the other thing. Bolt handle overtightened? Firing pin springs (if there's two) tangled? Bottom of rear sight adjustment screw rubbing on top of breech bolt? It happens.

9. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

Ok thanks. The rear sight screw does stick out the bottom quite far but is not rubbing on anything. If I use just the smaller inner firing pin spring I can get the bolt to hold back. If I use both then I can't pull it back far enough to get the charging handle in the detent. What are your thoughts on running it with just the one spring?

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If it works, no problem.

Did you have the springs stacked, one inside the other?

11. jsquared3000

jsquared3000 Member

Yes I had the smaller spring inside the larger spring.

12. salemons

salemons Member

I have the same issue with my 995. Just got it buts its an older one with the ATI on it. Got a TS stock from Hi Point the other day and plan to put it back on. Anything special I need to do?