9mm Carry Pistol entry price point

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by seedlings, Dec 7, 2015.

1. I would like to stay in the 9mm cartridge because I have a C9 and 995TS, and it's readily available. I don't have a 'budget' per se, but need to know at what price point it's reasonable to expect a small, very reliable carry pistol that is not particular about the kind of ammo. I have had my CCW for several years, but have never actually carried in public because the C9 bulk. I'm leaning toward an ankle carry because I fidget too much with waist band.

So, I have, of course been reading and watching videos - but not shooting, yet. The Kel-Tec PF9, Diamondback DB9 and Taurus PT709 seem to be decent firearms in the $200-250 price range, but is there a concern for reliability or which ammo to feed?

Next step up is like a Sig Sauer P250, Ruger LC9 or Beretta Nano, and there seems to bee more options in the $350 range.

Of course the C9 is the ultimate bang-for-the-buck, but here is the price-reliability-size price point to look at? Am I safer with a $350 weapon than a $250?

Thanks,
    CHAD

**edit: is hammer or firing pin any 'better'

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. colthrash

colthrash Member

Taurus and Charter Arms both make a 9mm revolver... just another option.

3. Yes! I'd hate to have a 9mm with lots of recoil, which probably means a slide action would be better for me.

CHAD

4. colthrash

colthrash Member

I have shot the Taurus revolver, it wasn't to bad. I don't think it is a good range gun, but as a bug it would suffice...

5. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I replaced my C9 with a S&W SD9VE. I paid $289.99 for it. It is the same size and weight of a Glock 19. I didn't consider a Taurus because of their reputation (mis-information like the Hi-Point). I traded the C9 to my neighbor for an old Taurus 38 special revolver. I liked the old but tight and accurate revolver so I bought a new Taurus TCP 380 for $199.99. It's small, light, hard to shoot and I am not accurate with it. If I was buying to replace my C9 again, I would strongly consider the 9mm Taurus models that have a rebate and the end cost is under $250.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I currently have two CC handguns in 9mm. I load both with high quality expanding point cartridges which mimic a FMJ-ish profile. One is loaded with Cor-Bon Pow'rBall and the other with Hornady Critical Defense.

Just "different." Hammer-fired CC handguns, like the Kel Tec P11, tend to offer "second strike" options so that if you get a hard primer, you can pull the trigger again and maybe set it off. Striker fired handguns, like Glocks, tend to offer triggers with lighter pull weights and shorter pull lengths which make accuracy easier, but usually don't have a second strike capability. There are pros and cons to each. In the end, it usually boils down to which you personally like better. At which point you'll most likely use the pros of your option to justify your selection over the cons of which ever you didn't choose. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Taurus PT111 G2 can often be found on sale for ~$200 and usually gets good reviews, often being lauded for a "mild recoil for that type of handgun" (whatever that actually means).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. ditto on the Taurus PT111. I have one, accurate shooter and small enough for CC.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm going to start a Q thread on it here in this sub-forum because I haven't shot one.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. I ended up buying one of the Taurus PT-111 G2 for $230.99. Had to buy on line because LGSs were out of stock and wanted $269.99 and $299.99.

After $13 shipping and $20 FFL and $50 back, I'll be out $214.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/12

CHAD

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  12. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Ok dudes help me out.

The new Turk full size 9 double stack combat pistol for under 400. Can't recall the name, starts with a C. Everyone, Hickok 45 too, loves these things. I know you want a sub-compact, but this gun deserves consideration. Cauhn, Conich, can't remember. The South Koreans make a real good one too.

13. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Canik?:what::what:

14. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Yup I think that's it.

15. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY