Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time i had it drilled into my head that the 9mm was a wimp round, but now that i'm older and can think for myself i've read ballistics and so forth and have shot a few friends 9mm's, i know its still just a mental thing i need to get past but would some of ya'll 9mm owners give me some pros and cons of owning a 9mm? and this by no means suggests that i'm giving up my 1911a1 or my .357...lol

G

·
Have you read our stickies here in this area?

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=280

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=486

Pick a round that meets the FBI standards and pick a good carry ammo and go from there. 9mm meets the FBI standards it is cheap to shoot, reload, and practice with. Most of the time the weapons that shoot 9mm are a bit smaller the those that shoot the 45. Does the 9mm out perform the 45? The FM says this: "Given desirable and reliable penetration, the only way to increase bullet effectiveness is to increase the severity of the wound by increasing the size of hole made by the bullet. Any bullet which will not penetrate through vital organs from less than optimal angles is not acceptable. Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet." How big is that edge? I really like 45ACP but I carry and shoot 9mm because of my practice costs. For me I feel I need to practice practice practice. 9mm lets me do this cheap.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
+1 Ari. I carry 9mm 95% of the time. I practive with it and know what I can do with my carry pistol before I even carry it. I like the 45 acp but for cost and training I choose the 9mm. I like the 45ACP but I by no means feel under armed with 9mm.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
im the other end of the spectrum. i prefer a smaller bullet because i can control it better in a CCW setting. ive shot tons of 45 in my lifetime but i find myself gravitating to smaller calibers as time goes by. ive always been a 9mm fan and have lots of them. the biggest handgun i own is my 10mm and thats usually my silhouette shooting gun but i do carry it on my road routes for SD. i feel i can shoot better and have more effect on target witha smaller caliber. but thats just me.

SW

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I like the .45. I like the 9mm. The 9mm is a fine SD round as scores of LEO's use it as a duty round. It is not at all underpowered, and it does have the advantage of allowing you to be precise with shot placement.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I feel as others its more about shot placement ... and yes I carry a 9mm for SD.

·
Registered
557 Posts
not to harp, but it is mainly shot placement then round size--

My everyday warm weather carry is a Bersa T380 and a Taurus PT25-- I used to "pack" a Jennings J22---

My truck gun is a CF380 (complete in a Crossman $5 Wally World holster)--

I like 380s due to less chance of over penetration--- but 9mm is a great round to plug a hole in a bad guy--

·
Registered
235 Posts
I took a 115gr fmj in the leg, really stung. But I'm here to write about it. Don't know about the same results with a 230gr fmj? Just food for thought.
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.