9mm Makarov

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by rojo1962, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Are there any mods that need to be made to a 9mm Belgium Makarov?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Any mods in order to do what?

3. Shoot it first, then worry about mods, IMO. After that depending on trigger pull consider a Wolff spring kit.

4. I don't know much about it. It was the 1st handgun that I got. I was told by a well respected gun enthusiast that it was an inexpensive, reliable & accurate handgun. He said to keep it clean and I would have no issues. He was right. I got it, 2 mags and a Fobus holster about 15 years ago for $125.00. I use it for my CC because of it's size. As far as mods, I'm saying anything that you might do to a HP. Polish the ramp, mag adjustments, trigger pull, etc

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just call it a Bulgarian Makarov, the 9mm part confuses people.;)

A heavier recoil spring makes some happy, if it really kicks hard.

Do a pencil test, empty gun no mag, put a pencil in the barrel, eraser toward the hammer. Point the gun up at the ceiling. Then flip the de-cocker. If the pencil jumps at all, you know the decocker is worn out or broken.

It's rarely an issue, but it could be a big issue, if it is.

6. Thanks for info. I've always thought it was a Belgium. I did some research on the history of the 9 x 18 round. I thought there were other calibers

7. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    The Makarov came out of the Soviet Union and was manufactured in a number of the old Communist bloc countries, along with a couple of other handguns chambered in the same 9x18 round. None were manufactured in the west.

As for doing stuff to them, there isn't much. Others may know of stuff that I don't. They are basically very simple pistols. I guess you could polish some internals (gently) and smooth out the action a little, but that's all I can think of. It's a simple and durable design with some looseness and rough machining, with some accuracy benefit from a fixed barrel. I've always like shooting mine. Took my CCW class with it.

8. Thanks Steve. I thought that may be the case. I shoot it as much as I can and I've had no issues at all. Just wanted to make sure I had not missed anything. It does have some worn spots that needs to be repaired. Other than that, it is in good condition. In the last 4 or 5 years, I have gotten into HP's. They are great guns also.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Mods? Pretty much no.

You don't even need to to a pencil test to tell if the decocker is working. It's nothing more than a cam built into the safety lever. The same cam acts as a hammer-block. You can visually see it engage on the outside by watching the hammer-notch in the slide.

The recoil spring should be changed out every 1,000 to 5,000 rounds depending on a bunch of different factors.

The stock military sights are kinda small and they're definitely black. Some people paint the front sight with white (or some color of day-glow) model paint (or even finger-nail polish) to help it stand out. Some people have filed the rear notch larger. Some few have given the slide to a competent gunsmith to install dovetail in new sights (it'll require lathe and fitting work). Other than the paint, I don't think it's necessary and I didn't even think the paint was necessary when I had younger eyes.

Some people like to dress the grips up with a set of Marschall grips (or some a competitor; they abound). Some like a rubber slip-on grip enhancer such as from hogue, packmyer, or a section of bicycle tire inner-tube.

But, aside from a few minor things that may or may not make any difference to you, and aside from making sure the recoil spring isn't worn-out, the gun is rock solid as it comes, stock.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. tomtull

tomtull Member

Ya might try a key ring on the mag release.makes reloading easier ;-]

11. Branth

Branth Member

How would a lathe be used?

12. I wasn't aware that Belgium made or used Maks? :confused:

13. No offense intended, but inexperienced people "polishing" parts is just asking for trouble.

14. When you say "worn spots" what are you referring to? Some are probably insignificant (such as finish wear), but others (such as a worn sear) could be very serious.

15. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I believe he meant to say Bulgarian. ;)

This is why pictures should be posted when asking questions on firearms that you are not 100% sure of. :)

16. Thanks for all the info. I did try the "pencil" test and there was no movement. I have pachmyer grips along with the original. It needs to be reblued. Is that something I could do myself?

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sorry. Fingers got ahead of my brain. Meant to write "mill," not "lathe."
    Peace favor your sword (mobile)

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You could do some cold bluing, it's easy, but not that permanent.

There is a thread here somewhere about rust bluing, Kirk did it, and it looks really, really good.

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's super easy, cheap, and gives great results.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f280/if-i-can-rust-blue-you-can-too-302971/

As far as I'm concerned, cold blue is to touch up a small scratch when you don't want to fool with taking the thing down to parts.

End results on the P11 slide I Rust Blued:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  20. Thanks lklawson. That looks good. May try it. How does it hold up? Thought about polishing the slide and using Never Dull to kept it clean.