9mm not good enough so goes with Mak

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by SteveC, Sep 5, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Interesting conversation with fellow at Wally World ammo case. He does not think 9mm is satisfactory for SD so he carries a Makarov in 9x18. Wondering what people think about that.

2. panoz77

panoz77 Member

The guy is misinformed, but everyone is welcome to have their own opinion.

3. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Double facepalm, so I guess a 38 S&W is a better SD round than a 357 Mag.

4. If he is more accurate with a 9X18 than a 9X19 then he would be right. No round that misses it's target is worth a damn for SD. Most 9X18 handguns are known for their accuracy.

380 has a better record for stops than 9X19, but it has nothing to do with power. 380 only have a limited capacity, popular 9mms have high capacity. May be the reason for such lousy marksmanship by current pollice officers. A handgun round, any of them are a poor choice against a shotgun or a rifle. It is a personal choice based on whatever a person wishes, why worry about it, it does not affect you. Unless that person is of the spray and pray nature.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Not everybody that carries a gun is a 'gun person' same as not everybody that drives a car actually knows how it works lol!

He's been told something and he believed it.
    I posted a link to a for sale ad here not too long ago where the guy swore this AK was a Vietnam bring back.
    Yet it had a thumb hole Sporter stock.
    You never know......some people don't for sure.

6. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    And your data to support that is?

7. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Actually there is some merit to his thinking. The 9mm ( 9x19 ) has been known to over penetrate and can cause unintended injury to others. The 9x18 Makarov round creates a good wound channel without the higher risk of over penetration and coupled with the right HP round is a very dependable expander as well. The Russians got it right when they developed the 9x18. Much like the .45 ball round, the 9x18 ball ammo clocking in at 800fps is going to cause severe damage because it is designed to tumble - certainly enough damage to neutralize an opponent.

I occasionally carry a CZ-82 9x18 concealed. It conceals nicely, has a good magazine capacity, is very ergonomic in the hand, recoil is mild, and the weight is good.

Don't discount the 9x18 round..... it will kill just as quick as any other round if placed correctly.

8. panoz77

panoz77 Member

It wasn't a comparison. He said the clerk said that "9mm is not a satisfactory defense round", which is just bunk any way you look at it.

9. Buckeye firearms.

But does it really matter? Are you really going to lose sleep over what someone else carries. I think what a person carries is their business no matter what their reason is, and the peanut gallery shouuld pound sand, or seek professional help.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr14xVetXM[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  10. Who cares? Really who cares?

11. bluharley

bluharley Member

Walmart employees are generally very helpful, and I appreciate them, but I don't consider any of them experts at anything. I doubt he's a ballistics expert, nor am I, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

12. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Apparently the OP, he asked for opinions. If you don't care, then why respond to the thread?

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I think this is his source, which has a very small sample group.

And it is funny that the author of the article also says this about 9mm.

"A huge number (over half) of 9mm shootings involved ball ammo. I think that skewed the results of the study in a negative manner. One can reasonable expect that FMJ ammo will not stop as well as a state of the art expanding bullet. I personally believe that the 9mm is a better stopper than the numbers here indicate, but you can make that decision for yourself based on the data presented." - See more at: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power#sthash.498ZVPEo.dpuf

14. Because IMO the OP is being silly worrying about things he cannot control. If that bugs you~~take your own advice~~don't reply. :p

15. panoz77

panoz77 Member

But not using the same type of ammo, as stated in your source, over 50% of the 9mm "statistics" were shootings that involved ball ammo and not self defense or hollow point ammo, where the vast majority of .380 was defense ammo. Are you a clerk at Walmart too?

16. Nope, don't need to be. I just believe in live and let live, and don't try to control others. Most of the problems we have in this country is due to control freaks.

If you can't live with someone carrying a 9X18 then you have the issues, not the person.

Do you still control your family members?

17. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    In this case the OP - with whom I am very well acquainted - simply thought it would be interesting to hear how people would respond to something he heard in conversation. Where this became being silly worrying about things he cannot control is a mystery to him.

18. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'm not sure where you are trying to go, but this has nothing to do with me trying to control anyone. I am simply commenting on the subject of the thread. I could care less if someone carries a 9x18, but that is not what the subject of this thread is about :cool:

The question posed in the thread was about 9mm not being a satisfactory defense round.

19. No round that misses the target is a satisfactory self defense round. The OP didn't just mention 9mm.

Florida theater patron shot with one shot from 380, other person stopped and dead. Ferguson Mo. it took Officer Wilson 10 to 11 rounds to stop Michael Brown. And I am pretty sure he was not using a 380, or a 9X18.

This is just another continuation of the caliber wars that's it. Somebody trying to decide for somebody else what is best for them. Instead of worrying about themselves.