9mm pistol purchase advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by hoodcanaldr, Aug 22, 2015.

1. hoodcanaldr

hoodcanaldr Member

I'm a new owner of the 9mm carbine. VERY pleased. First 10 rnds @ 25 yds put 7 in the X and 3 in the ten ring.

Considering a pistol purchase and noticed many posts concerning rear sights and slippery grips on Hi Point compact pistols. My question is whether new grips and Mahan sights are always needed, often needed or rarely needed upgrades.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I'd say rarely, and as for the grips, a Hogue-style sleeve is usually enough
    if you need one at all. Most people do fine with the stock sights, and it comes
    with a "ghost ring" that you can swap out yourself. Rarely for both.

But it's nice to have those options, the Mahan Sights get great reviews!

I'd dive right in, I doubt you will really "need" anything more.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Don't shoot the messenger but personally I wouldn't buy the C9.
    No doubt you're going to carry at some point and even though some here carry their Hi points its obviously not the best option.
    Plenty of $225-$250 guns out there that will fill that role better.
    Keltec PF9 maybe?

[​IMG]

Or C9

[​IMG]

with:
    $60 grips
    $40 Mahan sights
    $23 Joey trigger

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    P11 or SCCY
    Double Stacks, up to 30 round mags are available!

FWIW, I don't have a C9 either...
    and the 995 does not mag share with the C9, fyi

5. bersa2

bersa2 Member

KelTec PF9 is a nice little carry gun. Not a good choice for a range gun, due to it's small size. Mine needed a little break in but it runs great with all the ammo I use now.
    I don't own a C9 yet either, its on my short list though. It comes down to what you are going to use it for I suppose. Good luck.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don't own a C9
    But as far as I can tell from being here on the forum the C9 has the highest number of complaints out of all the HP guns.
    It's a tinker gun which is not for everybody.
    It all depends what you want it for. Some innocent range fun, fine.
    Stick to a 9mm because you already have the 995 but I'd buy a different handgun.
    Doesn't matter which one really.
    Like I said, plenty of choice in the $250 range.

7. lsi1

lsi1 Member

glock glock glock glock glock glock

police trade in guns come in at around $350

got that out of my way. I've held and fondled all the hp pistols and shot a c9 once but none of them really appeal to me the way the 995 does they just didn't have that same fun at a bargain price feel.

8. Kel-Tec or Sccy. And yup I own a C9. The C9 is just too big and heavy with less mag capacity for me to carry.

9. talon

talon the banned wagon

I fully agree. The C9 is a great range/fun gun but a bad choice for a carry piece just for its high weight/low capacity combo.

You should still get one for fun but not for carry.

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Mahan sights are an unnecessary luxury. Slippy grips can be remedied with a quick coat of textured paint.

[​IMG]

Total upgrade investment = $2.99

11. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Nightstand or range gun, the C9 is fine. CCW 9mm I like the SCCY or the P-11.

12. MistrBackgammon

MistrBackgammon Member

I love my cf380 which is the same pistol in 380. Stock grips and sights have been fine. Get something more practical for concealed carry and if you feel compelled to accessorize put lasers, lights and sights on the carbine.

13. In my experience (and training), most gun fights are over in less rounds than the C9 carries. The C9 is heavy, but NOT a lot heavier, nor any larger than a compact Glock (fully loaded). If you have a problem that can't be solved in 9 rounds, then 6 more probably isn't going to help much more.

Get the handgun that you can afford, and then invest some time and money into training with it. If the C9 is what you can afford, then get proficient with it and carry it--it will serve you well in most situations that the average person will get themselves into. I have a C9 and have become intimately familiar with it's operation, maintenance and limitations--if I happened to need a handgun and I was holding a C9, I'd be as comfortable with it as any of my Glocks.

14. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

May I say something along the lines of rubbery things? Bicycle inner tubes. I have them on both JCP's and they add kazillions to the grips.

15. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

The original selling price of the poly model C 9mm that I have was only $109.99. :cool:

16. MachoMelvin

I see the C9 here in Ohio for $129 about once a month.

Vance's
    Woodbury Outfitters
    Rural King

17. colthrash

colthrash Member

are you sure that is not the "macho is waiting by the gate again" price?:rofl:

18. MachoMelvin

That is there advertised price. I may pick up a new Strassell Mfg someday?

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Glock 26, or the 19.

I have a SCCY. Not a great SD gun. It sits in the safe. Easy to carry. Too easy to short stroke the trigger and get a "no bang" situation for a follow up shot.

20. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    The most accurate 9mm pistol I've ever owned is my C9 Comp. Pretty much zero recoil because of the weight, the comp keeps muzzle flip to zero. But like others have said, I put a lot of time and effort into getting it to run 100%. Not to much really because the parts from hp were free.