Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two questions..

For semi-autos I have a Hi Point C9 9mm and a Ruger P95 9mm

1) Is steel ammo OK to shoot without premature wear on a semi-auto firearm? The guy at Academy told be the steel ammo is hard on the chamber and the extractor. Any truth to that ?

2) Please give me opinions on Monarch 9mm steel case (I think it’s 115 grain FMJ)…I can buy it for $8.95 per 50 at Academy. I’ve been buying the CCI Blazer Aluminum 115 gr FMJ for $10.95 for 50 but Academy recently ran out of it but they still have plenty of the Monach steel case in stock to I was considering it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I doubt it hurts anything ... I have over 4000 rounds of it through my C9 ND 995 and have not seen any abnormal wear on either of those items. Remember the steel case is really a soft steel compared to the exstractor and barrel/chamber!

I don't know about monarch but I shout wolf, brown bear, silver bear, Sellor and Bellot and Barnaul with no problems.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
much of the worry about steel case wear cmae from the AR crowd. wolf made a run of 223 ammo that was extremely hard on AR extractors. some people translated that to all wolf ammo. ive shot piles of it form multiple claibers with no problems past the occasonal dud.

SW

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
much of the worry about steel case wear cmae from the AR crowd. wolf made a run of 223 ammo that was extremely hard on AR extractors. some people translated that to all wolf ammo. ive shot piles of it form multiple claibers with no problems past the occasonal dud.

SW
+1 on the AR crowd.................
I have shot plenty of steel case through both hand guns and rifles with no issues, Wolf, Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, S&B......... ect ect ect

Jet

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have shot steel, aluminum, and brass of various mfgs in my 995, my wife's PT111, and when I had my C9-- all were ok. WOlf was dirty, but Remington seemed dirtier.

Monarch shot fine also---

I usually by whatever is cheapest-- wierd note-- GM has Blazer Aluminum and Blazer Brass-- The aluminum is $2.00 per box higher than the brass on every caliber--

wierd...

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
thats because the price of aluminum took a huge jump about 18 months ago and CCI hasnt wised up to the fact that thier "bargain" ammo isnt so much of a bargain anymore.

SWS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts