9mm vs 40 s&w

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by handgun, Apr 22, 2014.

1. handgun

handgun Member

probably go with one of these hi-points when its time to buy. other than a slightly lower ammo cost with the 9mm, and 2 more bullets in the mag with the 40, any real advantages to either? i dont plan to cc, itll just be used at the range occasionally and for home defense. thanks

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

The 40 is a full size pistol..... Let's face it, she's a fat assed gal!
    The 9 is a compact sized gun. Both sit well in my hands, but if you can, hold both of them first. Usage wise, they'll both get the job done.

3. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I bought the C9 two years ago as my first weapon. I wnated something for home defnese nad carry, and not too expensive to practice with. The C9 was perfect.

About 2 months ago I bought my .40 and took it to the range. Now, I don't even want to shoot my 9 LOL. The ammo for the 9 is cheaper, but .40 is easier to find.

Honestly, I prefer the bigger size and weight of the 40.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

If you're not going to carry I'd go with the........45 as it's just as large as the .40 since they're build on the same frame.

[​IMG]

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    40 S&W Hands Down!
    And that includes the JHP 45 in the mix.

40 has many advantages, over the 9mm and the 45 ACP.
    It has been listed MANY Times. If I could have 1 caliber for
    handguns, it would be a 40 S&W.

@ Mr. Bull: (and his comment)
    The 9mm HiPoint is not a compact. It is also HUGE for a handgun!
    Bull is just a "Big Man" with "Big Man Hands" :D

6. undeRGRound

INDY
  7. Bull

I can't help it if HP doesn't get the C doesn't stand for compact.

8. undeRGRound

INDY

I guess it is the most compact Hi Point though! lol :D

9. Bull

[Q UOTE=undeRGRound;2130953]I guess it is the most compact Hi Point though! lol :D[/QUOTE]

Oughta be the SC9.... Sorta compact 9mm.

10. For the price I would buy one of each. I know it's not really the answer you are looking for but for price you will pay for another firearm you can get both hi points.

I'm going to buy a 40 & 45 this summer.

11. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

I have one handgun in 40 and two in 9mm. I am glad to have both calibers and I chose the 4095TS to complement my Sigma 40.

My opinion is that if you want a handgun for self defense, then get the one that you can put rounds on target reliably and quickly. I am of the firm belief that .380, 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP are all deadly rounds when they hit the human body in the right place.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    How do you fugg up an automated Q-UOTE jobby like that??? :p

SC9, lol :D

13. handgun

handgun Member

im actually considering pickin up a carbine in the same caliber, so if i go 2 guns it will be handgun and carbine:)

14. Tchort

Tchort Member

9mm ammo cheaper, 40 cal easier to find.

Do as I did and buy all 4 size pistols, saves on making a decision.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Get the .45 JHP and the carbine and you can run 1911 mags in them.

16. The carbines are very nice, well worth the price.

Rereading your first post you listed home defense as one of the jobs the pistol would be doing. So why not get the 45?

Don't get me wrong I love my 9mm but part of the reason my every day carry pistol is a 9mm is because I have that 17 round mag of 9mm. Shot placement is the key but always better to have more rounds than you would need. When you look at hi points the 10 round mag limit I would go with the biggest round I could hoping it would stop the encounter sooner. All three rounds 9mm, 40, & 45 will get the job done just have to pick the one that fits you best.

And like Swaga said the 45 will share mags soma great plus.

17. Bull

The iPhone..... She is a beetch.

18. All 4 !

Dang, I should have thought of that, 2 CF380's and a JHP45 later!
    I like the Bigger gun better, more accurate, more fun, more costly ammo ! (Gotta keep that ecomony going!)
    Now I think I'll get the oldest daughter the somewhat compact C9, and I think, accoring to Kirk, I should get the .40.
    .40 ammo cheap in NE Ohio !
    But a few more .45's on the shopping list first, Kahr CW45 next !

Attached Files:

19. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

As recommended by a couple others, .40SW. Like having 9 and 45 in one.

If you are going to get a matching carbine, then I would again recommend a .40SW.

But as said by mawguy, the one that you can put rounds on target best with. Try and find a range that has HP's you can rent so you can get a feel for them.

All 3 will serve their purpose and do the same job. Just each does it a little differently. I chose .40SW for the exact reason as mentioned by a couple others.....easiest ammo to find. Except at my local WallyWorld. All they have for pistol ammo is .44.

20. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Having a pistol and rifle that use the same ammo is the way to go. As far as which cal or mm, it all depends on what you are comfortable with and what you have the most confidence in.