9mm weight preferance, 124gr vs. 147gr

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by JasonJ, Jan 15, 2008.

1. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

ive noticed some individuals prefer the ligher 127gr bullet in 9mm over the heavier 147gr.

why is that? and what are the dominate pros and cons of either in a self defense round?

2. griff30

griff30 Member

the lighter medium weight bullet has more energy and speed like a .357
    The heavy one is subsonic and quieter, hits more like a .45 slow and heavy.
    Really the pros in the ballistics field seem to switch sides of the fence every few years. Some like a faster bullet like 95 gr which hits nearby targets harder. Some like the better energy downrange which is the 147gr. the 124 grain is a compromis.

My opinion, stick with what you can afford and shoot accurately with, the .22 Long Rifle accounts for more deaths than any other caliber so your way ahead with a 9mm.

3. geon

geon Member

Re: 9mm weight preferance, 124gr vs. 147ge

This is what Massad Ayoob says about it.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob93.html

4. Good info. I shoot the 127 gr. I actually doing something right for a change.

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

i shoot 115s for cheap practice and 147s in self defense guns. I like heavier bullets better than middle of the road stuff. then again im a tad more tolerant to recoil than most folks.

SW

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Did you read the stickies on the ammo?

[​IMG]

7. I am currently using the Winchester Personal Protection 147gr JHP's for a few reasons. First is because its the most accurate JHP load I have found in my pistols, accuracy is a definate plus for any SD round.

Second, I find the 147gr loads less expensive than the 124gr JHP SD loads, and this allows me to actually shoot enough of my carry ammo to be proficient with it and feel confident that between me, the pistol and the ammo that the job will get done. Shooting 10 rds out of a 20rd box and calling it good because you cant afford $25 for another box of 20rds is hardly enough shooting to trust a particular type of SD ammo.

Last thing.. I have found that the 147gr JHP loads produce less muzzle climb and felt recoil than the 124gr and 115gr loads do and this allows me to get faster and more accurate follow up shots down range. Anyone else notice a lower muzzle climb with 147gr ammo vs 115/124gr?

8. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

yeah ive seen the sticky chart.. so i get that 147 apparently penetrates deeper but at lower velocity probably imparts less energy into the target.

i was simply inquiring as to certain individual preferances.

9. Weight, mass, and velocity all contribute to foot pounds of energy delivered on target regardless of surface tension of the actual target. Why do you think that the 1911 .45ACP out performed the 9mm Luger during WWII? The big ole fat slow bullet will mess stuff up and leave a big hole....

Honestly, the larger the bullet doesn't necessarily mean better. BUT, to protect my life I'd rather shoot someone with a howitzer than a bb gun.....

10. Ari

Ari Guest

"Kinetic energy does not wound. Temporary cavity does not wound. The much discussed "shock" of bullet impact is a fable and "knock down" power is a myth. The critical element is penetration. "

I have not found a good local source for 147's to practice with. Soon as I do I will be working with them.

11. griff30

griff30 Member

Is that out of 5" barrels or 16" carbines? yes there is a difference.

12. Ari

Ari Guest

No those are from pistols not carbines

13. If you look at the chart above, you'll see that the heavier rounds tend to penetrate deeper than the lighter grain bullets... Just an observation....

14. Joe Sixpack

Joe Sixpack Guest

i like my bullets heavy, slow just comes along with it..

i do not like 115gr.. i will shoot it cause it's usually the cheapest but i do not like it.

the 124gr is not bad.. but i really prefer 147gr

i find the heavier stuff shoots better for me and feels better, also the tests i've seen 147 out preformed the 124 and likewise it out preformed the 115gr.

15. "Is that out of 5" barrels or 16" carbines? yes there is a difference."

While we all intuit that there will be an increase in velocity when 9MM or 40S&W are fired from 16†barrels, my question is; does the increase in velocity effect the ballistic performance (i.e. penetration and/or expansion) in ways that invalidate the sticky above Re: recommended duty and self-defense ammunition? I can find data derived from shooting 9MM and 40S&W into ballistic gel, water soaked paper and jugs of water, all fired from pistols. Does anyone have a site that is collecting penetration and expansion data from 16†carbines? :?

16. Ari

Ari Guest

The photo above is fired from pistols not carbines. I have not been able to find any data from carbines. ballistic gel is only true testing medium that should be used. Jugs of water and what have to do not reproduce soft tissue and any data pulled from tests into those mediums will be worthless. Jugs of water is the worst of the lot.

17. My intuition is that the increase in velocity we expect might be enough result in accelerated expansion and reduced penetration for the latest generation of self-defense ammo. Heck it could be that earlier generation rounds might out-perform the current generation when fired from a carbine. I’d just like to see some facts!

18. Ari

Ari Guest

Look at as much data for the 357 sig as you can find. I see data from 1000-1600 fps for that round. But I do not think the higher speed of the carbine will cause an under penetration. You can also look at data for the 357 magnum. Both the 357 rounds come in the same size and weight of the 9mm and you can find loads for both of those rounds that are moving like a 9mm out of a carbine. But they are being shot and carried in a handgun.

19. I prefer the 124 grain +P, its a middle of the road round that gets the job done.

20. I prefer a heavier bullet myself.