9mm

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by duster066, Feb 4, 2016.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Screw politics. When I came back to this great site I swore to myself I'd stay out of BS politics as much as I could stand. So I will concentrate on guns, and BS about guns, and if there isn't any gun BS I want to BS about, screw it I'm gonna make it.

We have a cool man show on the radio here in Seattle. And they have a segment they do called "Man Rules." There are 4 of them on the show. Fans get to propose man rules which the crew debates and then vote on. In order for a proposed rule to become a "Man Rule" the vote must be unanimous. So the question is should every gun guy own a 9mmx19?

You guys who know me know I'm a reluctant throw back. I'm not a revolver guy cause I insist. I'm a revolver guy because that really is all I've known. They are what I learned on, they are a ball of fun, and the damn things work. Why would anyone who isn't likely to see combat need anything else? Hell why would anyone who WILL see combat turn his nose up at an 8 shot 357 magnum packed full of bad ass full gonna blow your house down hot stuff with speed loaders? You could do a lot worst.

But it's 2016, and that brick POS Hi Point JHP I owned for 4 years proved something to me. It choked twice in the out of the box first 3 rounds then went flawless for 800 to a thousand rounds. Oh there were other failures, but they were all my fault, not the gun's. When the gun was stock, and the loads good to go it consumed them with glee. That POS Hi Point, long gone now, convinced me you guys who claim zero failures from autos are not full of crap. I spent a lot of money for my FNP45, but it has been flawless. So that brings me to the point. Should a gun guy, a man or woman who loves guns for fun, have at least one 9mm Luger shooter? And if so, shouldn't it be a Glock?

2. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Well, as a long time gun owner, never a glock owner, and only a 9mm owner for about a month now.... I gotta say no.

3. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

I think every gun guy no matter the manufacturer should have at least 1 9x19 auto.

4. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Just get a 9mm revolver. :D

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I don't own a glock!
    Have never owned a glock!
    If owning a glock, makes me act like some of the glock owners I have seen , they can keep them!
    Now I do love a 9mm. And which one to get depends on it's intended purpose? Plenty of other 9mm's out there?
    Who said a 9mm had to be a semi-auto?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=540665697

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I have a 9mm, M&P9 Full Size, by
    SMITH & WESSON and it's a much nicer shooter than any
    Glock I ever tried... Glocks have the "Hi-Cap" thing pretty
    much covered, however... 33 rd "Happy Sticks" and even
    50 and 100 round drums, in 9mm. I expect I will own a G17
    or a G34 (if that is the G17L model) someday, just for the
    drum and stick mags. I have a G20, (10mm) and it's OK,
    great capacity of 15 rounds but it's too light for full power
    10mm rounds, IMO. I will probably get a Mech-Tech carbine
    kit for it. THAT is on my "Short List" :D

M&P seems to be a superior handgun, just less time in the
    market and a bit less in accessories, so far. :( I still prefer
    a nice metal frame ANYTHING, like my Browning Hi-Power :dance:
    That one has 13 or 15 round mags, and I have a 20 as well.
    SWEEET Shooter, STYLE and good weight!

7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    man rule: must own 7.62 x over 50mm

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

9mm is the most powerful round in a revolver

9. Dohrmc

Dohrmc IIWFWTIWRTW Member

I have a Glock 19 and I really like it. Easy to shoot well, and very accurate.

My favorite handgun is a Ruger Old Army .44 cap and ball in stainless steel.

Now THAT, boys, is a Manly Gun. It will shoot as well as any other handgun I have ever tried.

When you touch a shot off, it goes Boooooooooooooooooooooom. Great sound effects.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That is a highly overpriced 9mm Ruger LCR...
    I won an LCR in 38 Special, +P and sold it to my incoming FFL for $350
    (his list was $440) but I have seen them as low as $325 online, so I did
    WELL! Used the $ for an AK Drum and paid off my Kimber ($685) at
    another LGS :D
    I almost kept the LCR, I found sets of 10 "moonZ ClipZ" for a good price
    which would have allowed shooting 9mm in the 38 Spc cylinder. Glad I
    hocked it, got the Big K and a nice Drum :cool: That LCR is nothing
    special for a revolver. No Hammer, no Bling or Bluing, even :(

11. Grant

Grant Member

I'm not sure about that, I've owned and shot a 454 Casull. That is one punishing round to shoot at the range.

12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    :eek: I thought the 38 was? :cool:

13. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Every one should have at "least":
    1 revolver
    1 semi-auto hand gun
    1 shotgun
    1 rifle

There are hundreds of sources of recommendations as to which caliber, which mm, which action. We could sit here and argue forever, but it really depends on what the individual is comfortable with. In other words the hell with everyone else's opinion go with what you like.

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You forget the Ripper??? :-D

15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I own a 9mm, and it happens to be a G19. My first Glock, not my first 9mm. I also own a 10mm, G20. Also a Glock. My first 10mm, and my second Glock.

There are plenty of nice 9mm's out there, but I've only really had enough trigger time to make comments on the G17, G19, and the M9(92FS).

I like the G17 Gen 4 and the G19 Gen 3. The Gen 4's all have the MBS (Modular Backstrap System) and come as an SF (Slim Frame). I have the largest grip with a nice beaver tail on it with my G20 Gen 4, but you're not asking about 10mm. Originally, I hated the grips on the earlier gen Glocks, but the Gen 3 and Gen 4's have really impressed me.

The M9 I used as a Marine sucked giant hairy balls in the field. I hate them, I don't trust them, and I don't care what anyone says about the more modern variations. I won't buy one, but my fiance might. My friend's 92FS was okay, but it still brought back bad memories of all those catastrophic failures in the field. The FS was specifically designed to have an enlarged hammer pin that fits in to a groove under the slide to eliminate that devastatingly awesome thing called slide separation.

You don't know what real living is all about until your slide goes zipping past your ear courtesy of Newton's Third Law of Motion, and horrible manufacturing.

Does it have to be a Glock? No. Glocks are the barbie dolls of the pistol world, much like AR's are for the rifle world.

16. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Since 9mm is currently the lowest-priced centerfire handgun ammo along with being exceptionally popular, it makes sense to own one even if it's not your favorite caliber.

17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I have been seriously thinking about a 9mm revolver. But don't know where to start with one. Brand, etc. Have you ever fired one? What about recoil? Is it a lot more than a standard 38spl round?

18. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

I have a Taurus 905. It's a nice shooter, very accurate, and I carried it for a while. But it's a Taurus and has it's "quirks".

If you want a really nice 9mm revolver, look for a Ruger Speed Six chambered for it (two on Gunbroker now). It will cost you about a grand, but if it's anything like my Speed Six .357 it will be one sweet gun.

19. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Have the doctors started you on your medication already? :confused: :rofl:

20. colthrash

colthrash Member

its an old joke, same individual said my 380 had the same power as a 9mm...