A bird in the hand, R1 now or R51 later?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Dec 12, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, most of you know that I bought a Remington R51 and that I like it. But, like most of them, it's back with Mom for repairs and upgrades.

Remington is now offering dissatisfied/disgruntled R51 customers a straight up swap for their base model 1911 R1 and I'm seriously weighing this option.

Here's what I'm thinking, the R51 costs about $400 (MSRP $420), the R1 about $700 (MSRP $729). I could get the 1911 and sell it. Then use the proceeds to wait until they get the kinks worked out and get another R51 and a bunch of ammo.

But I don't really want a 1911. I don't have anything in .45ACP and that would be another caliber I'd have to buy if I kept it if I decided to keep it after all. Further when re-released, the Gen 2 R51 might have a higher MSRP. But getting the R1 and leaving it unfired, NIB for trade value does make sense. There's even a small chance that I might parlay a $75 rebate in the deal.

The only problem is that I don't want a 1911 and I do want an R51. :)

I know that if I wait until middle of next year or so, I'll eventually get my R51 back, maybe even with the original SN. I also know that I'll never get $700 out of the R1, even unfired NIB. It'll be competing against every other 1911 for sale (which is a bunch) and all of the other R51 owners who are thinking the same thing I am.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the R1 for later sale/trade, which is kinda a reversal of how I was leaning just yesterday (literally... just yesterday).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Kinda sucks to have 400$ tied up on a gun you may or may not get back anytime soon..... I dunno, almost kinda bird in the hand thing. Take a chance you can get the 51 again, when or if they get it right.

3. well.... i am a bit envious. I would live an AMERICAN 1911. But i have always dreamed of a 1911 only for even the cheapest models to be out of my price range. So i of course say GET THE FREAKING 1911. No gun collection is complete with out one.
    (Except space gun, and macho/pup hi-point collections)

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There's lots of good 9 mm guns out there. They may not be R51's, but they are good guns. So I'd be tempted to get the more valuable (at present) 1911.

On the other hand...someday, when your kid is our age...the R51 might be the gun that got away, or died out, and a first year production run with factory corrections might be the holy grail of Remington collections.

Not to mention, they are a cool gun.

Since you don't "need" a gun, I'd hold out for the R51.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You do realize the foreign 1911's are not that expensive, and tend to be closer to the old school 1911, right?;)

6. I do, but even the $400 is to much for me.
    the most expensive gun i own is my CC. it was $400.

The RIA is tempting, but I am trying to figure out weather to spend $600 on a chminey for a wood burner, or $400 for enough propane to get through the winter,

I dont for see my wife saying "go ahead spend $400 on a gun you will let sit in the safe, and shoot twice a year" Any time soon.

7. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm not exactly married to Hi-Points.

Attached Files:

8. see, its still required in the collection

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I would go with the 45, but I have 45's so the ammo is there. If you really like the R51 just wait it out. What is important is what you want as it is your money and time.

10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Kirk, let me tell you, if you get the R1 you will keep it, unless you have an iron will to just sell it and reinvest in the R51 later. But IMO it would not work out that way for most people. I came really close to buying an R1, @ $585 locally, and have seen them as low as $519 until years end, so the likelihood of getting over $500 is bleak for a private resale. Besides, if you tell us you took the bait-n-switch (;)) I will send you a box of 45 ACP to increase the temptation level :D

All metal guns really rock, I am telling myself I will limit my poly purchases to filling out my M&P collection, (full perimeter inner metal frames) and trade bait guns.

I'm saying if you get the R1 you will prolly keep it :)

I would do that and buy the "new and improved RayGun" later ;)

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Arrrhg! Yer kill'n me!

Well, the consensus so far is get the R1. That's what my friends here at work are say'n too.

I think I'm gonna do it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    If it runs good, you won't regret it. If it's like my buddy's Remington 1911, well no different than the boat you're in now I guess.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So I called Rem. and arranged the 1-for-1 replacement. Spoke with a nice lady named Laura and assured her that if she had a text box in her computer form for it, to fill in that I wasn't angry with Rem., that I was confident they'd get it right eventually, and that when they did, I'd buy another one. But in the mean time, I'll take an R1.

Then, I called my favorite receiving FFL and asked them to FAX their info to Remington Warranty Repair Center along with the reference numbers.

So I guess I got a new 1911 coming. undeRGRound, I'm gonna hold you to that ammo 'cuz I got nada for .45ACP ammo. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGq3odXVmh8[/ame]

This was my "Ace Card" but I did not find it in a timely fashion... :D

This is the enhanced, but the R1 standard is the foundation for it!

15. You made a good choice, I went and looked at a R1 today and it was very nice. I looked at 3 other 1911s (Kimber, Taurus and RIA) and I liked the R1 the most, it is definitely on my must have list.

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

B'stard you got a 1911 before I did ....congrats ;)

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I haven't got it yet. Right now, all I have is Laura's promise that they're gonna send me one. :)

It does seem to get consistently good reviews, however. I'm reservedly hopeful.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    45 ACP 1911 ;) Yeah, I'm afraid you'll never look back.

Something that may compete with R51 is the Walther CCP 9mm. I'm very interested in this one. They are just now arriving in country , from what I here into Atlanta.

I CC a Kahr CM9, but I'm always looking for something else. Though I'll wait till CCPs are proven. R51 was a miserable wake up call for all involved. Remington may get it right, but there credibility and quality has been going down hill long before the R51.

Though the R1 seems to have a lot of happy shooters. A friend has one and the 1911s are what we start our range day with. Though my Rock Island is every bit as accurate. The JHP is good enough and a hoot to shoot and follow up shots are good. I mean really what more could you ask for, unless you're a competive shooter.

19. Kiln

Kiln Member

The Remington 1911 is awesome. I've never owned one but a friend of my dad's had the Remington 1911 and a Springfield 1911. They're both very nicely built pistols and I think you'll be ecstatic when you get it.

Finish was a little better on the Springfield but that Remington was solid. You can definitely tell they're "real" guns.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From what I've read about the Walther CCP (which I admit isn't much), one of the big draws for it is that it doesn't use the traditional Browning tilt-barrel lockup but uses an alternative action with the goals of 1) reducing felt recoil 2) making the slide easier to rack 3) allow a fixed barrel for better accuracy.

These are all goals of the Remington R51 and the reason they went with the Petterson "Hesitation Lock."

Seems like both Remington and Walther were on the same page here, they just chose different alternative lockup systems and apparently suffered rather serious QC problems at the Para Ordinance plant (and some sort of issue, either design or manufacturing with the leade in the chamber). Whereas Walther, by all accounts so far, has sufficient QC and didn't bonehead and not put a leade in the chamber.

I'm sure that Remington will get the bugs worked out of the R51 and, when they do, I'll save my pennies out of my hobby budget (for however long it may take) and buy a Gen2 R51. I might sell the R1 to finance it (and some 9mm ammo). :)

When you shoot it, you'll have to tell me how you like the Walther CCP.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk