Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was short a couple of scopes. I had the scope off my 308 Handi on my 30-30 and the 223 Handi had loaned its scope to the 22 Hornet. Off to the local Wally World to pick up a couple of CenterPoint scopes. The CenterPoint has proven itself to me, I have found them reliable and good scopes for the money, just like the H&R Handi Rifles and Ruger Americans that I mount them on.

Unfortunately the only CenterPoints in stock were the higher magnification options, more than I needed on the 22 Hornet and 30-30 Winchester. I picked up a couple of Barska scopes instead. The 3x9x32 Blackhawk and the 3x9x32 Plinker. The Plinker was marked as a 22 scope and the box stated not to use it on rifles with recoil levels above the 7.62x39. At $28 and some change I figured it should do just fine on the 22 Hornet. The Blackhawk had no such warnings. And at $53 the 30-30 got some new eyes.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the box containing the Blackhawk to find the same rings made to fit a 3/8" dovetail that was on the Plinker. I had some spare rings, so I swapped them out and mounted it on the 30-30 Handi. Did the same with the Plinker and mounted it on the Hornet. The scopes compliment the rifles well. I like the simplicity of the Plinker scope, the Blackhawk is not too busy at all though, it has a 3rd adjustment knob to house the batteries that power the red or green lighted reticle, something I doubt I will ever use. I am happy with the mil-dot equipped black 30-30 reticle it has. I need to change the Weaver mount base on the 30-30 chambered Handi rifle. I have the scope mounted as far to the rear that it will go, and it works but i have to craw the stock about 1/2 inch to get the proper field of view, but both scopes are surprisingly clear!

I need to go sight them in, but I am tired and am going to take me a little afternoon siesta. Maybe next week. I did take some time to read some reviews, which range from total crap to pretty good. I will give you my take on them later.

22 Hornet on top, 30-30 Winchester on bottom. Both rifles have been taken out of their pallet wood stocks and have been dropped into Choate stocks. The Hornet in the old style, the 30-30 Winchester in the new version. Wearing their respective Barska scopes. About as budget of a setup as you will find.
Musical instrument accessory Wood Shotgun Gun accessory Trigger

Reactions: Claymore and Visper

·
Premium Member
35,994 Posts
They had a New England Firearms .22 break action at the pawn shop last week. $200. Ridiculous.
I paid $200 for the Rossi that had the 22 and the 20 gauge barrels.

So maybe not so “budget” anymore. But good equipment regardless.

I like the cheap scopes. I’m not on a safari in Africa or a once in a lifetime hunt in Alaska, if a scope fails....I’ll just buy another. I have several Barska scopes, haven’t had to replace any yet.

That said, I do have some decent scopes. Sometimes it’s worth it to pay a bit more.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had a New England Firearms .22 break action at the pawn shop last week. $200. Ridiculous.
I paid $200 for the Rossi that had the 22 and the 20 gauge barrels.

So maybe not so "budget" anymore. But good equipment regardless.

I like the cheap scopes. I'm not on a safari in Africa or a once in a lifetime hunt in Alaska, if a scope fails....I'll just buy another. I have several Barska scopes, haven't had to replace any yet.

That said, I do have some decent scopes. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more.
Yeah, the Handi rifles are not so cheap anymore. They are worth a lot more broken into parts and sold unless you have an Ultra or Classic, or one of the more obscure calibers. $345 plus shipping for just a 22" 45-70 barrel, another $65 for the pallet wood stock that came on it, and $45 for all the pieces inside the receiver. More for just the barrel than the whole rifle cost new! It almost completely funded a Ruger American Predator and Vortex scope combo.

my go-to scopes have been the CenterPoint for a while now. The only issue I have ever had with any of them is I have a couple that will wash out under high power if the outside lighting is not just right. Or your eye is not where it needs to be. But completely usable scopes.

The Bushnell scopes are my favorites I guess. Never had an issue with any, but they can be a bit pricy. The Leupold scopes of which I have 2, are decent but not my favorites. I would buy one if included with a rifle, but just will not go and search for one. I am becoming fond of the Vortex scopes that came with a few of the rifles I have bought recently, The only reason I did not buy Vortex for my handi rifles is because the LGS didn't have any and did not know when he could get some more.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
greg_r did you see that I was offered a Handi Rifle with 4 barrels? They are asking $500

25-06
270 with integrated brake
12 gauge
50 caliber inline muzzle loader

No glass.

Sleeve Shotgun Gun accessory Gun barrel Air gun

I have one or two Center Point scopes. They are made by Crosman.

Reactions: greg_r and ajole

·
Premium Member
35,994 Posts
greg_r did you see that I was offered a Handi Rifle with 4 barrels? They are asking $500

25-06
12 gauge

No glass.
I think that's a good deal. I just wish there was more separation between the weights of the usual bullets tossed by the 25-06 and the .270. But those two will do a lot of work between 90 and 150 grains, depending on twist rates.

Or at least spec'ed by Crosman and made at some generic glass/scope factory where they make 10-12 other brands of scopes.

I have one or two, I like them as well.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I have wanted a 25-06 for quite some time and don’t have a 270 either. Plenty of components, but nothing to shoot them with.

My only shotgun is the ‘Ol Stevens 520 and it only shoots 2 1/2’s. Not exactly easy to find. I may never shoot it anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

25-06
12 gauge

No glass.

View attachment 71117

Couple of questions, are the barrels fitted to the same frame? The Handi Rifle usually requires fitting to mate the barrel to the frame. Is the muzzle loader a Sidekick or a Huntsman. If a sidekick it will not fit a SB2 frame. And speaking of the frame, seeing that there are 2 barrels there that mate to a SB1 frame, is it indeed a SB2 frame on the 270? More than one rifle barrel has been fitted to a SB1 by the "home gunsmith". Not safe. And are they ejectors or extractors? Are the 25-06 Handi's or Ultra's?

Regardless, I see between $700 to over $1000 there in parts, not counting the glass. Depending on what they are and you finding the right buyer

·
Premium Member
21,392 Posts
Overkill?

·
Premium Member
9,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

25-06
12 gauge

No glass.

View attachment 71117

I keep drooling over what I think is an Ultra Comp. but even if it is put together from parts, that Ultra Comp barrel will likely fetch nearly $400 from the right buyer. I am curious if you took the seller up on the offer?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Not yet, but I am planning on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts