A crazy idea of mine...highly modified .45 carbine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by countryshooter, Apr 23, 2015.

1. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

Im gonna leave this very open to see the responses i get.
    45 carbine. .460 Rowland chamber reamer and a pile of different strength recoil springs .

Yes a hi point carbine rechambered in .460 Rowland, the barrel/action is strong enough to handle the pressure it would just be finding a recoil spring strong enough to make the action cycle reliably

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

That would be interesting.

~HPFF Staff Disclaimer~

Don't try this at home kids. If you do, and a KB happens, blame Canada. Because we warned you.

3. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

good luck.
    use a vice and string when you test fire it...for safety's sake.

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It could last for 1500 rounds......or maybe 15.....
    It's time HP starts doing something with the carbine.
    A 10mm combo would be AWESOME!

5. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

More like with it inside a minituare sand bunker cowering behind the engine bay of the nearest car lol

6. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

For anyone who wonders what the ballistics of this beast will be if this monstrosity actually stays together.
    I came up with these ballpark numbers by taking google ballistics of the .460 rowland, adding 300fps (the gain we normally see with other carbines in pistol calibers ), and ran it through a kinetic energy calculator i found through Google lol
    230 gr bullet 1340fps 1373ftlbs
    185gr bullet 1860fps 1420ftlbs
    80gr bullet 3350fps 1993ftlbs
    200 gr bullet 1700fps 1344ftlbs

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Nice South Park reference.

8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Been on a South Park and Super Troopers kick lately. Watched Tank Girl for the umpteenth time again this morning, but those references aren't exactly recognizable.

9. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Im not sure if the recoil spring could handle it.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Look, if you want to torture me, spank me, lick me, do it. But if this poetry **** continues, shoot me now, please.

I didn't really like the movie...but this one stuck.:rolleyes:

11. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

Covered that issue in my first post ; ) im an amateur gunsmith, so im not going in this completely blind lol. Just a little clouded with handcannon disease lol This is just my first try at a custom job lol. If it functions im going to modify it with a side folding stock for an ak lol

12. I am in love with this idea. Go for it. And I hope it lasts a million rds. Not that anyone can afford that many .460
    Do you reload for it?
    It will be a beast. And would be a hell of a hunting gun.
    Light easy swing through the brush. And. .460 bullet from hell to cut through it.

13. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

No i dont lol.
    I was thinking shtf carbine lmao with an ak side folder stock( if it holds together, and functions like we all know these carbines to function)
    Check out my ballpark ballistic table lol and imagine that 200gr load is a handloaded cartridge and the slug is one of those lehigh defense extreme penetrators, lol can we say vest? What vest? Rofl

14. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

For safety ( mostly for accuracy but safety makes for a better excuse lol) im gonna have the chamber re-cut by a professional gunsmith ill do springs and stuff myself, after all if im gonna be doubling the chamber pressures i want to know its right.
    But for a hunting load imagine one of those .45 colt leverlution bullets screaming at those kinds velocities

15. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I can't wait to see the results, and I hope that the thing does hold together.

16. yep, if he has the cash and the balls. this thing will be a hell of a head turner.

17. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

The fun part about this is that if this works i will be able to shoot standard .45acp, 45+p,
    45 super, and
    460 Rowland
    However this will only be safe if the carbine has a fully supported chamber. I guess i need to tear into one and see if this idea is even remotely feasible or remotely safe....
    Will attempt this after a little more research unless that i find out im building a grenade that just looks like a hp carbine.
    Only time will tell.
    I have to justify 300+ for a gun that im going to modify and instantly void the warranty on the hardest part about justifying is the very likley possibility of blowing up the gun

18. countryshooter

countryshooter Member

Balls are check or i wouldn't have posted lol
    Im not just a keyboard warrior.
    Hp's are overbuilt anyway, and because of the blowback design if you overpressure the action it just pops open the bolt. Check out iraqveteran8888 on YouTube because of this they were only able to get one of the oistols to grenade by clamping the action shut XD

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's not the strength of the spring which is the most important factor in this case. It's the mass of the breech block.

Hi Points are Simple Blowback designs and the blowback mechanism is retarded mostly by the mass of the slide/breech-block. The spring is very much secondary, I've come to learn.

Duster did a .45ACP to .45 Super conversion some time back and documented his sources, requirements, and tests. The Slide was within weight requirements for .45 Super so it was "safe."

I'll see if I can find his slide mass reference webpage, though it might not even list the .460 Rowland.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Here's the reference Duster posted:

http://www.orions-hammer.com/blowback/

It doesn't specifically include the .460 Rowland but it looks like it gives some instructions on how to come up with requisite slide/breech mass based on SAAMI max pressure specs.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk