Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as I was at work talking on the phone with my girlfriend on what to do since she had two whole days off, and while I was thinking about going and seeing the "Lion King" Broadway production at Gammage Opera House, she said "Hey, wanna go shooting??"

How could I say no?!?!

So, on Sunday we loaded up my 995 and drove over to Shooter's World in Phoenix, AZ. She originally wanted to take her Ninja EX500, but my less-than able body after a rather invasive doctor's appointment mixed with the concern of HOW we were going to get a carbine to the range from Mesa on her bike kinda nixed that idea (I felt real bad about that too). They were doing a bit of remodeling but the friendly staff was once again attentive and in a VERY good mood because not 5 minutes after we walked in, the Cardnials had just clenched the championship and were going to the Super Bowl! You never saw a happier bunch of ******** in your life :laugh: :p (I kid of course...proud to see a home team do good)

We went up to the counter, and a rather sardonic but witty range master helped us pick out a pistol to rent for Jessie. She had fired a Glock before, and disliked the fit and the action on the pistol. She's a smaller girl, so I suggested the same pistol Stef fired: a Taurus Millennium Pro, but in 9mm in order to use the same ammo as the 995. She took a grip of it and was rather satisfied of the fit, and after a purchase of some eyes and ears for her and 100 rounds of Blazer Brass (which performed HORRIBLY in the 995, and even had two FTF's in the Taurus), we took our lane assignments.

She did AWESOME, and took to it quite fast! She's already an accomplished sportbike rider, so keeping the weapon steady and not "flinching" was not even a concern. I guess after throwing yourself down mountain passes at nearly 100mph, a little 9mm pistol doesn't scare a girl in the slightest. Isn't she awesome? The targets got better and better as the session went on, and by the 5th set, she was already shooting better than 90% of the people I've taken out for a first experience shooting! She's got a good hand for the sport, and natural reflexes for it.

I even took my hand at the Taurus, but I'm already a fan of the smallframe semi's myself after using Steff's blaster. The grip is still a *bit* too small for my long fingers, but it stayed on target just fine especially for a rental gun.

The 995 was great except for THREE failure to feed errors!!! It was all on the Blazer Brass ammo, and not on the WWB that I brought from home. I'm thinking that the mags still need a bit of adjusting and that perhaps we didn't get the best lot of ammo, but then again, Blazer Brass has NEVER done well for me. If I had a little more foresight I would've picked up some Remmington UMC from Big5 the day before, but I wasn't exactly in the relaxation mode when I was at work the other night.

By the end of the session, she had stated that she wanted to get a Taurus and that she had a great time!! I had a blast, and we got a ton of video of the event too! I tried to keep it to just shooting since there are so many who are paranoid about cameras at a gun range, but we got some good shots.

To find a girl who not only "tolerates" my interest in shooting sports, but is full tilt into them in her own interest and desire is just a score! It's not like someone who does it only because you're into it.... she has a genuine interest AND she's also a Mosin Nagant M44 owner to boot!! Haven't taken it out shooting yet, but once I get the Vespa going I think it would be a great date to ride out to Florence for some open range shooting. Just the image of her with a gun case strapped to the back of the Ninja and the pillion racks on my Vespa loaded with ammo boxes and gun cases.... that's a mental image!

And, without further ado, the vids

Me shooting the Taurus 9mm

Jessie's first time with the Taurus 9mm

The second session with her and the pistol

Final session by Jessie with the Taurus

Me with the 995 (no error..of course. Can't replicate the problem when I NEED to)

And HER with the 995

And for those who follow such things: Here is my YouTube Channel. I originally intended to put more than just gun vids on here, but I haven't had the time or the most interesting of stuff to put on. Alot of the stuff that we work on at the theater isn't privy to being recorded since the rehearsal process is rather intimate for actors (sometimes we explore stuff that isn't meant for the outside world in order to do what we do well). That and I have no way so far of getting video from the Taxicab recorded without the fares noticing.... Hopefully after this week I won't even have to worry about that (Crossing fingers for new job!)

Next Vid reports: The new HP C9 (currently on layaway till I get the Vespa settled and paid for this week), hopefully her M44 and Ben Avery Range or perhaps a Florence run. Then after that, there is hope for another Arizona Shoot!!

http://www.youtube.com/neothespian

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Congrats on the awesome range-date. She's a cutie and a keeper.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! When did they put in the diamond plating on the stalls? Those look sharp.
They're remodeling the joint, so I think that it's been within the last month. Looks like they're expanding their entire "Tacticool" side of the joint, which is a bit on the sad side if you ask me. We really don't need all those middle management pencil pushers who panic bought AR's and AK's thinking they're now Ghost Recon tools with all the black clad tacky toys and "training" classes to go with it. :cantlook:

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Didn't see this post until I gave you crap in the Welcome Aboard thread... Great video dude. Looks like she'll be a force to be reckoned with. :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for sharing the videos. I shoot at the same place and the diamond plate sure does spruce it up a bit. Did you ever notice they sell and rent the 995 but at least at the time of my last visit still no pistols. Also remember Friday is ladies day. Ladies shoot free and get their eye and ear protection free, I believe. Plenty of women out there that like to shoot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice vids! I will have to get some videos of my wife and I shooting...she is not very good (neither am i for that matter) but its always nice to see other people shooting!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's a great thing!! She and I both have seperate hobbies (She likes screaming down mountain passes trying to hit triple digit speeds, while I no longer do that. Perhaps I'm just gun-shy after being hit on a bike or perhaps I *am* a pretentious Italian rider.... until I get on a Duck) but to share one brings a couple closer together. Both are key I think.

As for skill: She has taken to it quite well, and was bummed when she found out I had to work this Friday since Shooter's World has ladies nite then :( My next goal is to get a C9 in her hands and see how she likes that. If she's still taken with the Taurus, then I'll be talking to my dealer in Tempe about what he can do for a good price on a Taurus :angel: They do have layaway.....

Can't wait to see vids of you and your wife brother!

G

·
Awesome! Is she left eye dominant? couldnt tell in the video with her firing the 995. My mom is left eye dominant and she hates my dads 995 :brow: she just cheats with her crimson trace laser grips on her .38s :cantlook:

Im kind of timid about firing 995 this weekend...my magazine lips seem pretty tight on it?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
That little Taurus is a very nice CCW gun 12 + 1 in a small package! I really like mine and it is surprisingly easy to shoot for such a compact pistol.

All in all it looked like a fun time!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Very Cool Neo,
Looks like you both had a real good time,
What are they charging over at Shooters World these days? It's probably been a good 10 years since I've been there, I'm closer to Ben Avery so the wife and I shoot there.
Hey an Arizona shoot sounds like fun let us know if and when

Jet

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome! Is she left eye dominant? couldnt tell in the video with her firing the 995.
If you tell me what that means I can give you the answer. ;P
Being "eye dominant" means that you sight with one eye or the other regardless of how you hold a weapon or what hand you throw with. Easiest way to know is to grab something and sight it like you were going to aim it at someone. The eye you keep open to sight the item is the dominant eye. It's what you use by reflex without thinking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Outstanding! The shooting sports takes skill and she being able to take to it quick, I see many years of busting caps together!

Those little scooters good on gas?
Easy to handle, been think of a motorcycle, for gas reasons and mobility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.