A different approach to using Truglo w factory rear iron

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by ichthyo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I've seen some cut the rear sight rather severely to fit everything on the rail. I tried to lower the front of the sight so it would slide under the red dot. I did cut some off just in front of the second hole on the front of the sight. It worked and I can flip the lens cover up down without hitting the rear site and shroud lever can be raised without hitting the red dot as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. menhir

menhir Member

I'm considering doing something similar.
    I just need a few good days off to putter around with it.

3. ichthyo

ichthyo Lifetime Supporter

I like that the irons can sit in the lower 1/3 of the tube view. They co-witness with the red dot or you can view the red dot in the center of the tube and ignore the irons completely.

4. menhir

menhir Member

Ummm....I'm going to have to think my idea through some more... :(

Before I started a-cuttin' and a-hammerin' I checked to see what the view through my red dot (Leapers) would look like if I moved it further up the rail than I have it now...something I'd need to do to make this easier solution work.

What was a relatively clean small dot became a bigger fuzzier splot.

So the rear sight assembly is sitting on my desk. I'll stare at it for a while* and try to come up with another solution that works for me.

*Probably a long while. I've got a honey-do list that's still a mile long, and there's still too much winter left to be locked up with the little woman who's gonna be mad if I don't get to it. :p

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

6. menhir

menhir Member

Stoopid stupid me...D'oh!

I was sitting at my desk when I tried moving the red dot further away.
    I usually don't wear my glasses when I'm at my desk...I don't need them up close. Apparently I don't think about it that much, either.

A few minutes ago it occurred to me to actually put on my glasses, which I'd be wearing when I'm shooting anyway.

The dot looks fine.

Where's my sign?

I thought I was doing a good job of weathering the weather this winter, but it looks like I must have turned one-too-many of my brain cells to the idle/hibernate setting for my own good. :rolleyes:

I'd kick myself if I were that flexible.

In any case, I think I can make this work now. I'll be off to the basement this evening with the dremel...If I can remember to plug it in. :eek:

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  8. That's exactly what I did and that setup works quite well.

Cheek tight on the stock for iron sights, ease up a little and the red dot is right there. Only "weird" issue was sighting in the red dot since it's at that 45 degree angle.

9. wingman

wingman Member

Megabytes,

Please let us know how that rear iron sight works with your front sight. I want to do the same thing if yours works correctly. Thanks!

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

It doesn't sit level? I guess you would need a piece of a rail and another adapter! ;)

11. It's straight...if you do this: :D

[​IMG]

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

That's what mine do when I ask "cookie?" I think Milkbones have crack cocaine in them.

13. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

PLEASE keep us updated on how the sight works. I'm definitely interested. The Ghost Ring has been proving too hard to install for me.

14. Wingman,

The UTG MNT-910 rear sight now causes my hits to go about 2.5 inches low at 15 yards. The Hi-Point stock front sight cannot go low enough through the peep sight. I am going to try using the tip of the rear sight and align it with the tip of the front sight to see if I get accurate hits next time I go shooting.

The iron sights are back up on the Hi-Point 4595 carbine anyway. If I use a green dot reflex sight I get accurate hits at self defense ranges.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  15. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks for the info, Megabytes.

16. kengrant

kengrant Member

I have found that when sights are zeroed looking through my Tru-Glo , the zero changes with the Tru-Glo removed.

Not just a little but a great amount at 25 yds.
    I guess you have some refraction when looking through the Tru-Glo

17. engine2

engine2 Member

I'm new here but you probably guessed that from zero posts and a start date of yesterday. I mounted a TruGlo RedDot on my 4595 but it didn't agree with my eyesight and I needed to move it a little closer. You probably already knew that nobody makes a low profile rear sight for the 4595. Yup, I figured that out after searching the entire internet for the last week. So I followed ichthyo's idea and it works great.

Attached Files: