A Farmer's advice on Hunting

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 1024Megabytes, May 15, 2018.

1. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

I read the below information and thought it was interesting. I am now posting it here for others to read.

The .224 Valkyrie might be the wonder weapon for punching paper but I was very disappointed when I heard that deer had been taken at 175-200 yards with this little cartridge and it seemed that it was quite acceptable to do such a thing.

I farmed eight hundred acres of corn bordering a wildlife refuge in North Dakota and I am an avid hunter. The 22-250 (which is quite a bit more rifle than the Valkyrie cartridge) was locally used for predators and deer hunters were told that it would work for deer.

I would harvest the corn in November just after the Deer hunting season. Every year I had people that would come to me and ask if they could find there wounded deer in my corn field after shooting them with an under powered cartridge like the 22-250. Most of the time they were not successful. During the harvest I would find these deer, some still alive and suffering badly from the wound. The wounded deer would get up in front of the Combine and just stand, it seemed as if they would ask me to put them out of there misery so I generally did just that.

I also replaced or fixed tires at least four times per year because of antlers stuck in the tires and it was not fun to cut rotting deer off farm equipment. In my opinion the person that shoots a deer with this cartridge has no respect for the deer they are hunting. Please use an adequate cartridge to put the animal you are hunting down quickly and humanely, practice with your rifle and don’t be the several hunters that have told me they bought a box of shells five years ago and still have some of them left. Don’t be one of the reasons you see so many posted signs on land.

Merle, SDProf, eldarbeast and 2 others like this.
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think they use the wrong words...it isn't that the 22-250 round at 1500-1800 foot pounds of muzzle energy is under powered, its actually about the same as a 30-30; if anything it is OVER powered for it's caliber and weight, so unless one uses the right bullet for the purpose, it expands or fragments too fast and won't penetrate well, or it stays .22 size and zips right through; making it less than ideal for larger critters.

Meanwhile, the .224 Valkyrie simulates the "popular deer gun" .243 Winchester in many ways, with a bullet heaver than the 22-250 (or .223/5.56) usually uses, at 75-90+ grains.

I think he's comparing apples and oranges...

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Pretty sure he should be complaining about the marksmanship aspect.

4. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

Analyzing the .224 Valkyrie I really see no point in the cartridge. If you have an AR-15 and want some more cartridge go with 6.5 x 39 Grendel. If you want a 275 yard or under rifle the .300 AAC Blackout is another decent alternative for the AR-15. But the .224 Valkyrie is really overshadowed by the 6.5 x 39 round and I do not know why anyone would pick it over the 6.5 millimeter Grendel round.

5. Rachgier

For the same reason we have the 6.5 Grendel, and however many umpteen dozen other calibers, in the first place. Someone was intrigued enough to try to answer the what if floating around their head.

You're applying gun grabber argument tactics to bullets now.

eldarbeast likes this.
  6. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

I said nothing about confiscating .224 Valkyrie firearms. I just pointed out that it is an inferior cartridge to 6.5 x 39 Grendel. Buy a .224 Valkyrie rifle if you want, but there are better options.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe you don't see any point to anything newer than a .38 Long Colt or the 45-70?

Just because you don't have a need or desire for it doesn't mean that there's no point.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

eldarbeast likes this.
  8. Rachgier

Pay attention numb nuts. I said you're applying the same tactics used by gun grabbers to "analyze" bullets.

Analyzing the AR15 I really see no point in the RIFLE If you have an SHOTGUN and want some more DISTANCE go with BOLT ACTION RIFLE . If you want a 275 yard or under rifle the .308 is another decent alternative for the BOLT ACTION RIFLE But the AR15 is really overshadowed by the BOLT ACTION RIFLE and I do not know why anyone would pick it over the
    BOLT ACTION RIFLE .

eldarbeast likes this.
  9. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

You are putting words in my mouth Rachgier. Again I said nothing about banning .224 Valkyrie rifles. I said the round was pointless. There are many other rifle calibers that are better for the AR-15. But you can go buy a .224 Valkyrie rifle if you want one.

I believe in the United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. I think the laws restricting magazine capacity, short barreled rifles, sound suppressors and banning calibers over 0.5 inches are ridiculous and infringements on American citizens rights to keep and bear arms. I think all citizens have a right to due process of law if they are going to get their rights or guns taken away. If they are going to take a persons firearms they have a right to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

10. Rachgier

Pay attention to exactly what I'm saying to you.

You are structuring your argument to the pointlessness of the .224 Valkyrie round in the same exact fashion that the gun grabbers do regarding banning the AR, and firearms in general.

I used your own words and sentence structure to prove the point by substituting a few nouns.

Just because you don't see the point of something doesn't make it pointless or useless to the rest of the firearms community. The very round you say is superior was at one time a pointless wildcat that somebody in the community decided to bring to market.

11. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

Somebody had their button pushed

[​IMG]

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Pick your caliber to match the game. MN legalized the .223 for deer, no way would I ever use it...

13. Fracman

Fracman Member

Since when are farmers experts in hunting? How does he know what the deer was shot with? Are farmers now ballistic experts? I hope this “farmer” called the NDGF before putting these wounded deer down. Hate for him to lose his hunting privileges. The NDGF says that a 22 center fire cartridge is a legal caliber for deer. So I can use my 22 TCM if I want.

moona11 likes this.
  14. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

The 22-250 mahes a fine deer round....if the right bullets are chosen. AJOLE got it right.

I have shot a few deer with the 22-250. My bullet choices for the cartridge both come from Speer. The 52 grain hollow point will turn a groundhog to jelly. The bullet comes apart on impact. If shot into a deer, it would likely leave a large shallow wound. However, the Speer 70 grain soft point is a different animal altogether. A controlled expansion bullet, it stays together and penetrates well. It makes a dandy cartridge for deer....if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

Rach is right. Both in the marksmanship comment, and in your condescending tone on the .224 Valkyrie. The first thing I thought of when I read your original post was Joe Biden and his shotgun advise.

moona11 and lklawson like this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Fixed it to make your logic EVEN more obvious...

16. SWAGA

SWAGA Lifetime Supporter

How can anything with such a “badass” name be any good?
    .45 didn’t need a cool name
    30.06 didn’t need a cool name.

Now we’ve got the Valkyrie, Wolverine, Hydrashok, Terminator, Golden Sabre, Critical-Defense, Zombie-max.

I think with the use and coming new gun legislation we need to include no more jive-turkey names.

17. Rachgier

Said some douche using the redneck ebonicized pronunciation of swagger.

Greg B. likes this.
  18. 1024Megabytes

1024Megabytes Member

They should have called .224 Valkyrie the following and it might have got them more sales: "Zombie slaying, tyrant killer, wonder round that can even kill Superman with one shot at 1,000 yards."

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Naw, he's NJ'ing his accent into print.

Now for the "jive turkey" statement? IMO he is culturally appropriating this guy's TV heritage.

[​IMG]

Greg B. likes this.
  20. Rachgier

I think I prefer having it named after the 12 handmaidens of Odin who choose the most worthy of slain warriors and carry them off of the battlefield and in to Valhalla.