Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been a big believer in one gun for all situations. I have done my best to put together the highest quality arsenal for the best price. You do not need thousands of dollars to have a gun for every occasion. So here you go.

1. 12 gauge shotgun. A Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or Rem 870. A shotgun should be the first survival firearm anyone should buy. It can take any size game from a squirrel to a moose. Price $200-$250

2. .22 rifle. Two choices stick out to me. The best is the Ruger 10/22 as it is very reliable. For accuracy, the Remington 597 is the best out of the box and extremely reliable. $130-$200

3. High powered rifle. What can beat the old Mosin when it comes to power and price? You can't settle for everyone, but with a little love these become awesome shooters. $100

4. Side Arm. This is the HP forum so this is a great place to plug the HP pistols all under $200. Never sell yourself short on C&R guns. The CZ52 and Makarovs can be a steal around $150 and ammo is cheap.

5. "Assault Weapon". The cheapest, battle proven rifle is the SKS. It is the best poor man's rifle. $200

This puts us in the $800 range with mostly new guns. That is a quality gun for every situation possible. Granted, you still need ammo, but you need the guns first. I would rather have $800 for this arsenal that 1 AK or AR.

(Yes I have an AR, but that was after I had an SKS 1st.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I apologize for bringing this back from the dead, but I was looking over the list and the prices and I have to say, in my area... each and every weapon listed is currently listed at double or even triple at gun shops compared to the price given here. Even my HP C9 was $225

The cheapest used Mossberg I've seen was $450 (and the stock was cracked)
A Mosin for 100? I wish it were true.

And a $200 SKS? ... Not in this state. Try $800 +

When I got my hi-point, the next cheapest gun pistol was a used Walther P22 and it was $300

So... is it just my area, my state (the birthplace of gun control, stupidity, laziness, and downright retards) or is it something else?

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Aside from the SKS I thought he was pretty spot on. Although the 1022 price may be a little higher.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've found some of those good deals in the past, but not lately.

I did find a great 1964 Sears semi-auto shotty from around $130. That was a lucky (recent) find).

All the Mosin's around here are not going for around $130 now, so they're getting a little pricey.

My tube fed marlin 60 (that I've had for over a year now) was around $150. The 10/22's in this area are up over $200 now.

I've found a bunch of affordable sidearms, tho. The PA_63 was a particulrly afforable one (even if it was a hard to find round). The c9 when I boutght it was $159.00 but they're up to $200.

I have seen one Chinese SKS for $360 but i wasn't able to get it at the time and i haven't seen any more at that price 9and I'm not neededing a battle rifle at the moment either).

BUT your premise is correct. One need not spend a fortune to get good quality weapons suited to a variety of purposes if one is willing to look a little bit for them.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Well things have changed a bit from last year.

The SKS will run $300 right of gunbrokers.

Mosin will run less than $200 but prices vary a lot depending on model and barrel condition.

Marlin is tough to beat, less than a ruger and more accurate.

SKS is ok but be aware they have issues that MUST be addressed to make them a safe firearm. Refer to the SKS forums for more info. This is why i went with an AK47 which you can still pick up for $500 easily. Battle rifles though are something to put a priority on since given the climate your opportunity to own one could vanish quickly.

I wouldn't skimp on the Carry weapon. Forget price to a degree and find the most reliable most comfortably carried handgun. Out of all these weapons this will be the one that most likely will have the opportunity to save your life. Still $400-500 buys you a lot.

Bit more than $800 sure but these are choices you will live with for a long time most likely.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
"find the most reliable most comfortably carried handgun." Yup The C9 covers it all :D
If it truly fits your hand like it made for it and yours is reliable of course. Ive just had mixed results with the C9, and the 40 and 45 are just so big. That XD though just feels like it was made for me and has never failed except when using Wolf steel case I had one FTE out of 4 mags, 50 rounds about. Got my C9 back from HP yesterday and am hoping for a big improvement. The Glock 27 is slightly less comfortable and uses the same mags as my Kel-Tec sub2K so its my BOB pistol along with the KT which fits so well in my backpack.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have never been a big believer in one gun for all situations. I have done my best to put together the highest quality arsenal for the best price. You do not need thousands of dollars to have a gun for every occasion. So here you go.

1. 12 gauge shotgun. A Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, or Rem 870. A shotgun should be the first survival firearm anyone should buy. It can take any size game from a squirrel to a moose. Price $200-$250

2. .22 rifle. Two choices stick out to me. The best is the Ruger 10/22 as it is very reliable. For accuracy, the Remington 597 is the best out of the box and extremely reliable. $130-$200

3. High powered rifle. What can beat the old Mosin when it comes to power and price? You can't settle for everyone, but with a little love these become awesome shooters. $100

4. Side Arm. This is the HP forum so this is a great place to plug the HP pistols all under $200. Never sell yourself short on C&R guns. The CZ52 and Makarovs can be a steal around $150 and ammo is cheap.

5. "Assault Weapon". The cheapest, battle proven rifle is the SKS. It is the best poor man's rifle. $200

This puts us in the $800 range with mostly new guns. That is a quality gun for every situation possible. Granted, you still need ammo, but you need the guns first. I would rather have $800 for this arsenal that 1 AK or AR.

(Yes I have an AR, but that was after I had an SKS 1st.)
Where can you find the CZ52 or a Makarov for that price?

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
I love Oregon!

Brand new Mossberg combo (28" smooth bore and 24" rifled) $265 - Big 5
Used (GC) Mosin-Nagant $ 89 - Big 5
Brand new Ruger 10/22 $179 - Bi-Mart
Barely used HP ACP $140 - Central Point Pawn
Used (GC) SKS $195 - Welburn's
$878

As you can see, if you hit the sales just right, it is still possible to come very close to the 2008 prices! Next challenge, find ammo!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I really feel like 3 rifles is over kill for a basic arsenal.
Basics to me are 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, one handgun.
And if I was going to set that up on the cheap
SKS-400.00 nice for a nice one
Maverick 88- 187.00 Wally's
HP JHP- 200 otd with an extra mag.
Puts you right at 800 and you are covered for anything. I know I dont have a rimfire listed but I really dont see that as a gotta have as much as the other 3.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I really feel like 3 rifles is over kill for a basic arsenal.
Basics to me are 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, one handgun.
And if I was going to set that up on the cheap
SKS-400.00 nice for a nice one
Maverick 88- 187.00 Wally's
HP JHP- 200 otd with an extra mag.
Puts you right at 800 and you are covered for anything. I know I dont have a rimfire listed but I really dont see that as a gotta have as much as the other 3.
Not really as rifles have more specific application than handguns. Though the SKS can double as Battle and hunting rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
"find the most reliable most comfortably carried handgun." Yup The C9 covers it all :D
If it truly fits your hand like it made for it and yours is reliable of course. Ive just had mixed results with the C9, and the 40 and 45 are just so big. That XD though just feels like it was made for me and has never failed except when using Wolf steel case I had one FTE out of 4 mags, 50 rounds about. Got my C9 back from HP yesterday and am hoping for a big improvement. The Glock 27 is slightly less comfortable and uses the same mags as my Kel-Tec sub2K so its my BOB pistol along with the KT which fits so well in my backpack.
My Hi Point .45 is the gun that truly fits in my hand!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
How bout a new Savage 10/110 or Used Remington 700 in .308 or 30/06 with a middle of the road scope? Keeps the bad guys at a distance and useful for other chores...............

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The crosssection of arms seems sensible enough. While the SKS has become expensive, and the AR/AK's becoming downright impossible to afford, you really can't go wrong with that combination.

As far as the 4095/995, that really depends on your demographic. For some on here who live in sparsely populated areas that would make perfect sense, but for us forum members who live in the big city, the SKS loses some of it's effective properties. Distance for engagement is nearly 1/4 the length or less than small town folks, and sometimes in as little space as a hallway length. THIS is where a carbine would shine!! Lots of velocity, easy to sight and use and compatible ammo that can be maximized.

In a rural setting, you need to maintain that velocity, and that's where the SKS comes in handy. Within less than 100m, the x95 carbines and SKS very well might put up equal shot placement, but the SKS's frame is larger, heavier and has more substantial recoil and rapport (all of which are very bad in close quarter situations). But, if you're in more open field, you need that maintained velocity and accuracy over longer distances.

What it comes down to is understanding your application. While the core elements (12ga, .22., small caliber sidearm, heavy bolt, med assault/combat rifle) are always best to have, what TYPE you get depends on your application. Someone in rural Alabama will have different foes and challenges than someone in Downtown San Fransisco.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
SKS is not an expensive rifle, cost is about the same as a 995.

Battle rifles have different criteria than commercial weapons. They are generally much more rugged, easier to disassemble in the field, and designed for prolonged high rate of fire. I would never consider a Battle Rifle to be a bad investment, since its impossible to determine what conditions you may face in a SHTF situation.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
SKS is not an expensive rifle, cost is about the same as a 995.

Battle rifles have different criteria than commercial weapons. They are generally much more rugged, easier to disassemble in the field, and designed for prolonged high rate of fire. I would never consider a Battle Rifle to be a bad investment, since its impossible to determine what conditions you may face in a SHTF situation.
An SKS may be inexpensive in your part of the world, but in the Phoenix area, you're lucky to find one below $350, with most right now averaging $450 to $500. an AK goes for at least $800 (unless you're able to get to J and G when they have Rommy's in stock for $559 or so). California and New York are equally difficult. In Canada, such a rifle is almost out of the question.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts