Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family member recently came into possession of a SAR-1. It came with some rando drum mag (fully loaded, which, right now, doubles the value of the gun). But he wants to buy some regular banana mags.

I'm not particularly educated on the many (many many) AK variants and need some education. Is there such a thing as a "standard" AK mag the way there is with AR and STANAG? Would he need a specific SAR-1 "compatible" mag or could we just pop down to the LGS and buy whatever they might have hanging on the pegs?

Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It uses standard AK and AKM magazines.
Ammunition Loading
AK and AKM compatible magazines:
• 6L9: 30-rnd
6L10: 30-rnd
6L33: 40-rnd
6P2 Sb.11: 40-rnd
• AK-A-16: 73-rnd
So could I just go to GunMagWarehouse or Brownells, search for "AK47 magazine" and buy whatever pops up? Or is that going to cause compatibility issues?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
So could I just go to GunMagWarehouse or Brownells, search for "AK47 magazine" and buy whatever pops up? Or is that going to cause compatibility issues?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Order whatever and it will fit. Some are better than others.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
If they call it an "AK-47" or a "7.62X39 AK magazine", it will fit. If they have a warning that it only fits X or Y, or you see a "74" anywhere near it...don't get it.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I prefer 7.62 x 39 metal AK magazines that are not made by Promag Industries that are twenty to thirty rounds. Forty round magazines are too large in my opinion. I have never tried the polymer AK-47 magazines.

I loved the comment I read by someone who posted about AK-47 magazines that were made by Promag Industries on the Internet: Somewhere in an undeveloped country in Africa someone is making AK-47 magazines in a hut. But Promag cannot manufacture AK-47 magazines correctly.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I prefer 7.62 x 39 metal AK magazines that are not made by Promag Industries that are twenty to thirty rounds. Forty round magazines are too large in my opinion. I have never tried the polymer AK-47 magazines.

I loved the comment I read by someone who posted about AK-47 magazines that were made by Promag Industries on the Internet: Somewhere in an undeveloped country in Africa someone is making AK-47 magazines in a hut. But Promag cannot manufacture AK-47 magazines correctly.
I hate Korean metal mags and anything Promag. I prefer commi metal mags or US palm mags but they are expensive

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
I hate Korean metal mags and anything Promag. I prefer commi metal mags or US palm mags but they are expensive
What if they were North Korean mags? Then they'd be Commie AND Korean!o_O

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
The Sar-1 is a great rifle. Most AK mags are ok, except as stated, Promags. I got a set of 3, and 2 were too wide to fit my AK's magwell. I like the Yugoslavian mags with the bolt hold open follower, Hungarian tankers (20rd), and the polymer Bulgarian mags. I bought a ton of dirt cheap Tapcos years ago, and theyve been ok. Have some other metal ones I don't know where they are from. I have SGM mags for my Vepr, and have done fine. I did just get one of the yellow, PSA polymer banana mags I think is funny.

Congrats on the Sar-1, cool guns.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
Magpul mags work in most AK's. 100% love the Yugo BHO's. I have some Croatian BHO's. They required modifying the lug to fit. The lug was too high. I got them in 2016. I heard they are better now.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
The Bulgarian metal mags are the best common ones on the market right now.

The Croation bolt hold-open models are fine in my Wasr, Saiga and NPAP, but the Vepr doesn't like them. They are the cheapest of the Com block mags, and they're solid--just questionable in certain rifles.

Tapco and Magpul mags are great. I have a ton of them from when they were going for $5 at Classic Firearms. Just keep in mind that the Tapcos won't be as durable under repeated drops on concrete, but they'll be fine for the range.

The SGM Tactical mags are name-brand Korean mags. The non brand named Korean mags have worked well in my Wasr, NPAP, Saiga and Vepr. I bought them back in '14, when they were still parkerized gray.

So, to start out, get as many of the Bulgarians if you want to just go for the good stuff. Add in several Tapcos to round out the numbers beyond what you want to keep on hand for the Bulgarians.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
The SGM Tactical mags are name-brand Korean mags. The non brand named Korean mags have worked well in my Wasr, NPAP, Saiga and Vepr. I bought them back in '14, when they were still parkerized gray.
So the SGM Tactical AK-47 magazines are okay quality to you also in your opinion? I have also heard the Bulgarian AK-47 magazines were good quality.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
I sold my AKM247 turd to Mole. I almost pulled the trigger on a PSA that didn't have the FN barrel. For now I will keep shooting my AR47's.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I sold my AKM247 turd to Mole. I almost pulled the trigger on a PSA that didn't have the FN barrel. For now I will keep shooting my AR47's.
Add a picatinny rail to an AK rifle and I like them. This is the big reason I like a properly set up AR-47. I do not like the stock iron sights of AK rifles and it is harder to get a scope or red dot mounted on them.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
Add a picatinny rail to an AK rifle and I like them. This is the big reason I like a properly set up AR-47. I do not like the stock iron sights of AK rifles and it is harder to get a scope or red dot mounted on them.
Pic rail on the dust cover can move when you clean it many new AK'S NOw come with the bottom mount installed. If you have Magpul forend you can mount a rail.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
Pic rail on the dust cover can move when you clean it many new AK'S NOw come with the bottom mount installed. If you have Magpul forend you can mount a rail.
But a pic rail on the fore end doesn’t.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
So the SGM Tactical AK-47 magazines are okay quality to you also in your opinion? I have also heard the Bulgarian AK-47 magazines were good quality.
I've had good luck with the SGM Tactical magazines for my IZ-132 and my 7.62x54 Vepr. For the traditional steel AK mags, I've only bought the non-branded Korean ones, and they were just fine. The SGM ones should serve as well for the x39 platform as the non-branded ones.

·
Premium Member
21,300 Posts
Reactions: ajole
1 - 20 of 23 Posts