A little help please? Removing the pic rail under front sight...

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Hoot, Nov 11, 2014.

1. I know this is probably covered here, but I'm new (and very old) so if anyone could direct me, or tell me, how to get that picatinny rail off the end of the barrel. I tried taking out the horizontal screws in the forearm, but it didn't budge, so I thought I'd ask someone who knows.

Just picked it up today. Used some loc-tite on the cocking bolt, gotta use a scope with my old eyes, and I'm going to try the OEM rail, I tightened it down really good, to see if it holds zero.

I've noticed none of the hex screws were as tight as I'd personally like. Seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Thanks!

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You're on the right track. Remove the upper barrel shroud section by prying up the clip at the front of the top rail and slide the shroud forward. Remove the charging bolt. Remove the receiver shroud by using your little wonder tool to release the shroud pins, remove the pins and remove the shroud by lifting it from the front. Remove the large C clip in front of the trigger guard. Pull up on the barrel and remove it and the action from the stock. Remove the rail under the front of the stock. Now remove enough of the horizontal bolts to separate the two stock halves. That little useless rail will pretty much fall out. Unfortunately so might the two nuts that secure the bottom rail so don't lose them. Assembly is reverse.

3. What the...???? I see a Dremel cutoff wheel instead!!!!

You lost me at "prying up the clip". I'm no engineer! I'm old....old, I tell you!!! :confused:

4. cicpup

Vermont
    Everything up to and including separating the barrel/action from the stock is needed just for routine cleaning. Might want to learn how.

5. Ok....I guess I'll hit Youtube.com for some visuals before I start prying off clips.

Thanks!

6. Hokieman1987

Hokieman1987 Member

I thought this was the best vid for taking it apart.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpsOcU12COc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpsOcU12COc[/ame]

7. Hokie-Dokie, Hokie-man, I greatly appreciate the reference and information.

Kind regards,

8. For those who might desire a printed copy of Cicpup's barrel picatinny rail removal, here are the instructions in a more easy to follow, check off, format:

Remove front picatinny rail under the barrel:

1) Remove the upper barrel shroud section by prying up the clip at the front of the top rail and slide the shroud forward.

2) Remove the charging bolt.

3) Remove the receiver shroud by using your little wonder tool to release the shroud pins.

4) Remove the pins and remove the shroud by lifting it from the front.

5) Remove the large C clip in front of the trigger guard.

6) Pull up on the barrel and remove it, and the action, from the stock.

7) Remove the rail under the front of the stock.

8) Remove enough of the horizontal bolts to separate the two stock halves.

The short picatinny rail beneath the barrel will pretty much fall out. Unfortunately so might the two nuts that secure the bottom rail so don't lose them.

Assembly is reverse.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Bull pucky.

Routine cleaning is running a Boresnake through the barrel, maybe spraying shotgun cleaner into the action, and then blowing it out with air, then wiping things off with some rags.

Taking it apart is the 1000+ round cleaning thing, according to the manual.;)

10. 1500 rounds before cleaning?

That's what I picked up on the Youtube vids, and from some of the comments I've seen posted here and there.

Right now, I just want to get that rail off so I can do a few mods...flame-thrower nozzle, Li-on battery pack ignition, 200 Mw Green laser and Goose Call combo pak...among a few changes. :D

I mean...what's the fun of having this gun if you don't modify it.

I could never understand people who buy guns and then go out and just shoot them!

My trigger will be my first attempt. It needs to be polished and buffed carefully to smooth out that action. Not terrible as it is, but not excellent either. Anyone done this? Any vids or suggestions/advice?

11. cicpup

Vermont
    I prefer to keep my carbines a bit cleaner and since I've gotten dismantling it down to about 60 seconds it's no biggie.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    That's pimping it out. This is modifying.

[​IMG]

Yup

Yea. Learn to dismantle it.

It won't make a drastic difference. You need to polish the sear cam and trigger bar/assembly where they rub together. It requires a bit more disassembling.

13. I took it apart and removed the front rail. Not too difficult at all.

14. cicpup

Vermont
    [​IMG]