Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out as a Rossi 410 Youth break-open I got for Father's Day. Added a green fiber optic sight, stock sleeve for extra ammo, Limbsaver recoil pad to give just a bit more LOP and calm the recoil from the plastic recoil pad(Rossi rubber recoil pad was discontinued for this model), clamp on quad accessory rail for the barrel and ADE Advanced Optics 400Lm light, hammer extension for easier control and sling. This jewel has a sweet trigger for what it is. I'm a right-handed shooter and if you notice the hammer extension is opposite than normally needed, it is due to clearance issues from the barrel break open lever to work. Everything works great for making this a pest controller around the farm for day or night. Love this little noise maker. I should of gotten more 410's years ago. Haven't tried slugs yet, as having to get just shotshells is at a premium right now is hard enough. Thank goodness on Walmart getting in a fair amount for past few months. Some say the 410 is a great deer gun w/slugs.
Air gun Automotive exterior Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Grey Automotive exterior Surveillance camera Bumper Tints and shades Grass Wood Shotgun Gun accessory Bumper

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Those Rossi 410’s with the long barrel intrigue me. I have had 2 chances to purchase one and walked away from both. I will buy the next one I run across.

Yours is lookin good @Dubar !

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg. When I found this, there was another one just like it, but w/28" barrel. This one has a 22" barrel and just swung easier than the longer barreled one.

I was comparing the Rossi against the Hatfield model that Walmart sells. While I liked the Hatfield in how it folded more onto itself, it just didn't have what the Rossi has.

Rossi -- Steel receiver
Hatfield -- Alloy

Rossi -- 18"(Tuffy model), 22" and 28" barrels(22/28" barrels has modified choke while I believe the 18" barrel is full choke). Barrels for (these models only) will interchange. Can't speak for the Wizard or 22/410 combo models, but seems they won't work with this model in how they attach to the receiver. Can't find any determination for one way or other.
Hatfield -- 28" (cut to suit if want)

Rossi -- Great trigger
Hatfield -- Horrible unless adjusted(Utube videos tell how)

Rossi -- Plastic stock. The shoulder stock from the Tuffy will work if want thumbhole w/4-shell holder built in. Adult stock(the type you see in my pics), Youth stock(short w/growth extensions to add when needed), Wood laminate if can find(always seems out of stock). Would love to get a brightly colored (green, blue or red) laminate stock set from Richards Stock if they make them. Need to call.
Hatfield -- Turkish Walnut. I will say it does look very nice.

Rossi -- Made in Brazil
Hatfield -- Made in Turkey and have many different clones and names. Same Hatfield who used to manufacture prized Hatfield shotguns years ago decided to go to Turkey to now use his ideas and talent to make these models(single shot/pump/semiautomatic). It can be a hit or miss from what I gather from videos I've seen, but most have been good.

Rossi -- Fully ejects the shotshell over right shoulder when breech reaches a certain open position with great authority(does a snap sound) from the ejector spring.
Hatfield -- Manual hand extraction when breach is opened

Rossi -- Price: $120-$150 depending where purchased or sale
Hatfield -- Price: $99-$110 (Walmart is exclusive seller of these as they bought all available year stock) for their inventory.

Del

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Fully ejects the shotshell over right shoulder
This is the only thing I wish they would change. I just like to pluck my empties out of the chamber. Plus it will launch a loaded shell over your right shoulder too.

That said, place shells between the fingers of your off hand and it’s surprising how quick you can reload, especially when the extra step of plucking the spent shell from the chamber is eliminated.

Reactions: histed and Rerun

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
This is the only thing I wish they would change. I just like to pluck my empties out of the chamber. Plus it will launch a loaded shell over your right shoulder too.

That said, place shells between the fingers of your off hand and it’s surprising how quick you can reload, especially when the extra step of plucking the spent shell from the chamber is eliminated.
Learned this as a youngster hunting bunnies with an H&R 16 ga. Three shots just about as fast as a pump

Reactions: Rerun

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
100 Posts
I don't know what kind of slugs would be suitable in the 410 for deer, the foster type are light and the hollow base makes them thin and prone to fragment rather than penetrate.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I don't know what kind of slugs would be suitable in the 410 for deer, the foster type are light and the hollow base makes them thin and prone to fragment rather than penetrate.
Brenneke

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
36,038 Posts
It will work, the problem is, you end up with a 100 grain “bullet” (plus or minus a few grains) doing 1600-1900 fps.
That’s .30 carbine territory, except the slug may have less penetration due to frontal area. In fact, it can be more energy than a 10mm Auto commercial load, but less penetration.

Edit to mention that I’m talking about the Fosters...good point, Greg.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
The Brenneke will shoot plum through a deer at 50 yards. Foster slugs just flatten out and don’t penetrate well at all. The brenneke puts a thumb size hole in and another out.

Reactions: Rerun and ajole

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Brenneke will shoot plum through a deer at 50 yards. Foster slugs just flatten out and don’t penetrate well at all. The brenneke puts a thumb size hole in and another out.

If that's the case, it sounds like dinner will be on the table if that deer is well within range. I have a handle on a place selling some 410 slugs, but haven't looked at them to know what type or manufacturer they're from. Need to check while they still have some.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
Here Buffalo Outdoors is showing a comparison between a Brenneke slug and the Foster slug.

Reactions: Rerun and ajole

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
100 Posts
I didn't know Brenneke made those in 410, Ballistic Products sells a few 410 slugs, but the Fosters are all I'd ever seen factory loaded. I agree with the guy in the video, not a fan of 410 for deer, but the brenneke looks like the best idea if you have to. I also agree with not wasting the test media, throw it on the grill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts