Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Here's the situation, I have decided that I need a new rifle in a more "common" caliber. My deer rifle is a sporterized (cut 6 inches off the barrel) turkish mauser in 8mm. I love the round! it does everything that I can ask of it and has great accuracy out a LONG way. The problem is that surplus 8mm is drying up (as everyone already knows) and it is becoming expensive to sight in/target shoot with. So I am looking for a more generic rifle.

I have narrowed it down to three options. First, something in 30-06. This is widely available, cheap, and has a large number of loads to fit almost any possible need. The only negative is that the ballistics of 30-06 are almost identical to 8mm so I really wouldn't be gaining too much.

The second option is something in 308. This isn't quite as widely available but it is a solid round that is proven and availible at any good sporting goods store.

Finally, and what I am currently leaning towards, is a lever action 30-30. This is possibly the most tested round for deer and, while the number of loads are limited, is possibly the most availible rile ammo availible. While I realize the range is limited to about 150 yards, this more than enough for everyday use.

What the opinion of the group? Please keep the discussion limited to 30-06, 308, and 30-30.

Cheers,
Kyu

P.S. I considered a Moisin but I figured one obscure military caliber (8mm) in was enough!!!

·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30-06. does everything a 30-30 does and goes 300 yards farther.

SW
Devils Advocate: So does my 8mm....

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
8mm and 30-06 are a comparable caliber. they do pretty much the same thing with the same bullet weights. the 8mm never took off here outside of teh surplus market while the 30-06 was a runaway winner. if you like the surplus rilfes there are 03 springfeilds to be had, if you want a sporter, savage and winchester both make excellent models. high end Sako, browning and tikka models can be found if youve got deep pockets.......

SW

·
Registered
245 Posts
P.S. I considered a Moisin but I figured one obscure military caliber (8mm) in was enough!!!
You are right but the 7.62x54 is about the same as the 30-06 but at $0.25/shell it is hard to beat. There seems to still be lot of military surplus shells still out there that can be picked up for a good price. It has corrosive primers but if you clean you gun after each outing, it is not a problem. Plus when you can get a Mosin for $75 to $125, they are hard to beat. Of course I am cheap and like inexpensive things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts