A new toy :-)

Discussion in 'The Archery Zone' started by lcback, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Saw this cross bow on sale for $79.99 at rural king. The bad reviews said it was too hard to out together and the string breaks quicker than others.

I have been wanting one of these for years it just makes sense I can't afford a silencer and this makes shooting game from turkey to deer silent.
    I also wanted to take advantage of archery season its months longer than rifle and I see deer just relaxed in the field behind my house.
    For $80 ill take the risks and if it falls apart after 2 years I can use the knowledge to decide if a more expensive one is worth it
    Will string it tomorrow and hopefully sight it in

Attached Files:

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So what is it? Can't read the name in the pic.

Looks similar to one I helped sight in, but it wasn't that cheap.

3. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Probably a dedicated site for whatever brand crossbow that is. Is it a HiPoint or a Glock? :stir: :D

4. Ha, sorry guys. Its called a jaguar 175lb.
    Its made in Tawian ill look at the box For more details. But like most Asian knock offs there isn't much.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I'm sure there are upgraded string available. My step son from #3 likes the idea of a silent weapon. He told me he likes a machete for up close and personal...........glad he likes me! (ex Green Beret!)

6. histed

histed Supporting Member

Been considering one of these myself. Bow's getting a bit rough these days and my bro keeps trying to get me to buy a crossbow. Not all of us have $700 to spend on toys, I sez. But this is doable. How about a range report when you get to it?

7. I sure will, Hoping to get it shot tomorrow, will probably try to sight it in at 40 yards.
    one nice thing about the crossbow is they sell cranks for it pretty cheap now.

8. histed

histed Supporting Member

At my age, i'd need one :eek:

9. understandable I'm a young guy and the first time I shot my dads I was taken aback by the strength required. But i dont think you can crank a compound bow at all.

10. rickm

rickm Member

I have one just like that and the company i ordered a new string and limb from is located in Canada, http://www.crossbowcanada.com/ , since the limb was cracked when i got it.
    Oh and a good price too, Im looking at another one a guy has for $100 but waiting to see if he comes down on the price.

11. histed

histed Supporting Member

Can't crank it, but I can adjust the draw weight. Used to have it around 75# with a 60% let off. After my surgery last winter I have a hard time breaking 45# loose. 3 or 4 shots and I ache for days. Don't get old, IC, it sucks.

12. Well, then if this thing is any good and you can afford the $80 let technology make your life easier for once.

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Is your archery season integrated as one with the crossbow season? You are pretty lucky if that is the case. Some states either don't allow crossbows, at all, or they only allow them during their own season.

15. For the longest time cross bow was totally outlawed unless you could prove handicapped.
    Then the game commission trying to get more people into archery and their tag filled by rifle season decided to let cross bow into all of archery.
    Second week of October through January. Excluding two weeks for rifle season.
    I was always upset about only getting two weeks to hunt. When you work its really 3 days since Sunday is off limits. So this opens that up :)

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My buddy bought his for his Dad, the thing is HEAVY to carry, you need a sling, and he has a string and pulley system to cock it.

It's still a bit tough, but it's big muscles, like doing a squat in weight lifting. You end up lifting at about half the bows rating, so if you can lift 85-90 lbs, you can cock a 175 lb crossbow.

We set a 3 dot red dot up on it. It's point and shoot simple, 20/40/60 yard zeroes, and at 60, it's still hard to pull the bolt out of a target.

17. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It sounds like you've taken a big step toward filling the freezer, this year. Now get out to the range, and practice. You only have a few months left.

18. The bow is heavy? Interesting I didn't look at the more expensive ones because in order of price it had $79.99 then $275. And I said "whoa!" Ill just get this little guy.
    But they did look bigger. This one is 4.8lb according to the box. And compared to most hunting rifles its a dream to swing around.

19. Yep. I even snagged a used dirty old refrigerator (free) and set it up in the basement so I don't fight with my wife for fridge/freezer space like last year ;-)

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

MO is going to allow them during regular archery season......This season I believe....