Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share a nice little story with my new found friends at HPFF.
My story begins a week and a half ago at around 1 am. I was sitting on my couch in my living room finishing a game of Madden before I called it a night. My Vikings were handling the Packers 28-3, and A.P. had already rushed for 190 yards and three T.D.'s. Things were looking good.
About this time I heard a loud thump in the basement beneath my feet. The sound came from the area of my basement that has a window that faces a busy city street. This window has been a concern of mine since we moved into the house as I feel it is a vulnerable point of illicit entry. Anyway, I paused my game and listened for the sound again. My heart jumped as I heard another loud thump further into the basement. I stood up and crept towards the basement door to try to identify the source of the noise. I had taken about four steps and I heard my basement door start to open. The door is locked from the inside with a hook and eye lock to prevent our 2 year old son from going down the basement stairs unsupervised. This door makes an unmistakable sound when the door is pulled open and the lock tightens, and I had just heard it. I stopped in my tracks, waiting for the sound of the door being forced open and the sight of an intruders face peering around the corner. I stood, ready to fight. Nothing... I had time. As quietly as I could I quickly back-peddled toward the stairs up to my bedroom, taking care as I scaled them to step only on the outsides of the treads to minimize squeaking. I reached my bedroom where I keep my C9 and a nearby magazine loaded with Cor-Bon DPX 115 gr. +P hollow-point rounds. I slid in a magazine, woke up my Rottweiler Chloe and set about the task of clearing my house.
Now I know there will be those reading this that say I should have taken a tactical position and called 911. Generally I would agree. However, at this time, the thought never crossed my mind. I felt like I went from the hunted to the hunter, from vulnerable to owning the element of surprise. This was how it was going to go down. Let me also explain that I have a degree in Law Enforcement and have had extensive training in this sort of situation. I have also assisted in clearing many buildings in my three years as a reserve police officer. These skills, combined with my confidence in my C9 (about 1,500 rounds with only 3 FTF's and 2 FTE'S) were all I needed. The presence of my 50 lb. dog helped too. I slowly and methodically cleared my house as I made my way to the basement door and saw the lock had not been breached. I waited for a second listening and heard nothing. I opened the door and sent my dog down. I followed closely behind. Going down those stairs was about a pucker factor 9. I cleared the basement back towards the window of my concern. It was closed and undisturbed. Rather anticlimactic I know.
To this day I do not know what caused those sounds. I chalk it up to wind. The reason I wanted to share this experience was to explain how it feels when the issue of home protection really comes to fruition. What an amazing feeling of relief it is to get your weapon and know you can defend your family. I could not imagine the feeling of helplessness I would have had in this situation as I waited for the unknown threat to emerge. As a father of three small children I have wrestled with the presence of an "unsecured" gun in my home. After that experience I will never doubt my decision to have a pistol for home protection.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A definite pucker factor involved there.

I would never have to back peddle as I always have a weapon within reach.

I sit right now at the PC, weapon by my side, if showering a weapon is in the room. Take the dogs out, yep a weapon.
I try to be prepared to deal with a problem NOW, not in 5 minutes when I back peddle to get a weapon. I feel that if I had 5 minutes to wait I could call 911, I also feel that one doesn't always have that 5 minutes.

I thank GOD that I live in a "good section" as I'd be really paranoid otherwise.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I know what you mean about the relief you describe. The other night, my wife woke me up after she heard a noise coming from the vicinity of our front door. I got up, and reached for my C9, only to find it gone. I turned to my wife, and there she stood, gun in hand pointed at the door, standing behind the chest-of-drawers, with her cell phone out and opened, everything exactly like I taught her to do. I grabbed my JCP from the safe and cleared the house... turned out to be nothing, but I felt really good about our reaction to a possible intruder.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I wanted to share a nice little story with my new found friends at HPFF.
My story begins a week and a half ago at around 1 am. I was sitting on my couch in my living room finishing a game of Madden before I called it a night. My Vikings were handling the Packers 28-3, and A.P. had already rushed for 190 yards and three T.D.'s. Things were looking good.
About this time I heard a loud thump in the basement beneath my feet. The sound came from the area of my basement that has a window that faces a busy city street. This window has been a concern of mine since we moved into the house as I feel it is a vulnerable point of illicit entry. Anyway, I paused my game and listened for the sound again. My heart jumped as I heard another loud thump further into the basement. I stood up and crept towards the basement door to try to identify the source of the noise. I had taken about four steps and I heard my basement door start to open. The door is locked from the inside with a hook and eye lock to prevent our 2 year old son from going down the basement stairs unsupervised. This door makes an unmistakable sound when the door is pulled open and the lock tightens, and I had just heard it. I stopped in my tracks, waiting for the sound of the door being forced open and the sight of an intruders face peering around the corner. I stood, ready to fight. Nothing... I had time. As quietly as I could I quickly back-peddled toward the stairs up to my bedroom, taking care as I scaled them to step only on the outsides of the treads to minimize squeaking. I reached my bedroom where I keep my C9 and a nearby magazine loaded with Cor-Bon DPX 115 gr. +P hollow-point rounds. I slid in a magazine, woke up my Rottweiler Chloe and set about the task of clearing my house.
Now I know there will be those reading this that say I should have taken a tactical position and called 911. Generally I would agree. However, at this time, the thought never crossed my mind. I felt like I went from the hunted to the hunter, from vulnerable to owning the element of surprise. This was how it was going to go down. Let me also explain that I have a degree in Law Enforcement and have had extensive training in this sort of situation. I have also assisted in clearing many buildings in my three years as a reserve police officer. These skills, combined with my confidence in my C9 (about 1,500 rounds with only 3 FTF's and 2 FTE'S) were all I needed. The presence of my 50 lb. dog helped too. I slowly and methodically cleared my house as I made my way to the basement door and saw the lock had not been breached. I waited for a second listening and heard nothing. I opened the door and sent my dog down. I followed closely behind. Going down those stairs was about a pucker factor 9. I cleared the basement back towards the window of my concern. It was closed and undisturbed. Rather anticlimactic I know.
To this day I do not know what caused those sounds. I chalk it up to wind. The reason I wanted to share this experience was to explain how it feels when the issue of home protection really comes to fruition. What an amazing feeling of relief it is to get your weapon and know you can defend your family. I could not imagine the feeling of helplessness I would have had in this situation as I waited for the unknown threat to emerge. As a father of three small children I have wrestled with the presence of an "unsecured" gun in my home. After that experience I will never doubt my decision to have a pistol for home protection.
i feel ya on that one. I was half asleep one night, right on the edge of dreamland when i heard about 3 loud bumps right in a row. I got up, got armed with the 995 and cleared the house. the scariest part was the basement bathroom. anyway, after the house was clear, i walked around the outside of the house. there was no wind that night, and nothing seemed out of place inside or outside, i'll never know what the noise was. but that was the first time i had the gun out and ready. pucker time fo sho.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I turned to my wife, and there she stood, gun in hand pointed at the door...
That's a good woman, right there. She's a keeper!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm kind of lost on the degree on Law Enforcement and training. You stated, "However at this time, the thought never crossed my mind". Wouldn't have this degree of LE and training make you more alert/on guard? I guess what I'm asking/saying is, you heard a noise (your dog didn't?) and went to investigate it, now after two noises and now you hear the basement door opening........... I think with the LE degree and training I would have had my firearm on me as another poster mentioned or I would have had one of my firearms in a safe of some sort on the first floor or I would have gone upstairs first to get firearm and dog (who doesn't bark or make any noises), not go to the basement door and stand there to listen for more noises and also stand there while someone is opening the door. I don't know what training you received, but if that is what they teach you, then I'm missing something here. I know if I heard a noise I would have had firearm in hand (cell in the other with 911 on the other end so they can hear for my defense) before I go to investigate noises I never heard of before in my house especially if it was coming from the basement at 1 in the morning with a window knowingly that was a "vulnerable point of entry".
I did take the "Home Defense" course which covered what you described. I must have missed the part of investigate first, then get your firearm and dog second.
Before I get jumped on here, don't get me wrong, I'm just reading what was posted. We are all glad no one was injured, and read my sig.
Oh, and I'd start looking for a new dog....one that is alert or at least barks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good thing this is just good natured "ball busting" or you could see how a guy could get offended. First off, the purpose of pointing out my LE experience was only to show that I feel confident in clearing my house, as this is a dangerous act that could easily backfire if done improperly. Not only could you end up arming the intruder, but there is also the inherent risk of carrying a loaded firearm in your home. Apparently you missed that part of your "Home Defense" course too. Training or not, I do not feel the need to scramble for a firearm at every bump in the night, nor do I live in a world where I feel I need to carry a gun around my own home.
Had you read a little closer and not been so quick to get to your "ball-busting", you would have seen I had only taken four steps towards the door. A far cry from standing at it. Up until the point of the door starting to open I was as much startled and curious as to the source of the noises (think cat) and only became alarmed at this point. Although I never took this "Home Defense" course that made you so confident in your abilities and gave you the right to critique how others react in a time of stress, I feel I reacted well and appropriately to the situation. Hind sight being 20-20, it is easy to say what you would have done. Even if it is merely to "ball bust" a guy for what he did do. Despite that, I still feel confident in the training I have received and will take the opinion of a "Home Defense" course graduate at it's merit.
Oh, and lay off my dog. She was asleep upstairs ( as also stated in the post). Here in Minnesota we keep our basements under our house. That's a full three stories away, I will forgive her lack of vigilance. Apparently you feel I need a dog that would bark at every noise in a home, including one so common as the basement door opening.
Good day to you sir...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everything was from what I read. Yeh, it's hard to give descriptions on a forum instead of in person. Now you have three floors, now your dog was sleeping, now took about four steps, now I didn't read your post thouroughly, now I didn't pay attention in class, now the LOUD thumps you heard are now just thumps. Risks of carrying a loaded firearm in your home; arming the intruder; the cat?? Hold on Mr. Intruder I have to load my weapon.....intruder was already armed when they came in through your window that was again......knowingly a vulnerable point of entry........the cat?? I think You took it the wrong way first off. That is why I said I was lost on the LE degree and training you took. The Home Defense course I took never mentioned anything about trying to figure out what noises are then go get your firearm. These are My opinions ONLY. When I said to read my sig, it was intended for the Opinion and Suggestion part, not busting balls. Looks to me that You got offended when it was not my intent. Opinion ONLY....don't you get it. This is what the forum is for. But this here......
the busting balls part, was for your dog. You have a good day too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if the majority of your posts are unprovoked ball busting. Another example of someone being a judgmental ass sitting behind a computer snickering at their own cleverness. If you read again I did say "about four steps", I did say I went upstairs to retrieve my gun and "wake my dog", and I do believe that it is dangerous for any John Wayne wanna be to be wandering around their house with a loaded gun. So, obviously, you did not read it closely enough. In all fairness I did not identify the bumps as "loud" in my response to your ball busting. My apologies for the indiscretion. And I did not explain that my house has three floors. I guess the fact that the basement was in question, I was on the main floor and had to go upstairs to get my gun, I thought it obvious (albeit unnecessary to explain) that the house had three floors. I don't recall ever saying the weapon was unloaded when I went downstairs. Did your course tell you to take up arms at the slightest little threat? Are you one of those liabilities that run around with a loaded gun waiting for someone to give you the wrong look so you can play hero? My advice would be to save the ball busting (er, opinions) for those interested in listening to it and treat the people in this forum with respect. And while your at it , maybe you should read the material to which your referring a bit closer, it may save you some of this back-pedaling in the future. And my dog forgives you.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Oh, and lay off my dog.
+1

A man after my own heart. You can call me what you will, but bad mouthing my dog will get you an @$$-beating.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I came home a few days ago and saw the screen off of one of the front windows. I opened the door slowly to see if the alarm system was still armed, it wasn't. I grabbed my gun as well and did the best I could at clearing my house . I had never thought of all the potential hiding spots until then. Turned out to be nothing.

In hind site, what i did was pretty stupid. I had my 2 year old with me and he was following me around saying "What you doing Da Da?". I should have just called the cops and let them do it, then felt stupid when they didn't find anything.

I asked wifey about the screen when she came home and she said, "Yeah I knocked it off yesteday and didn't put it back". I didn't tell her about clearing the house, gun out, kid following me around. :cool2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's always good to have a story end with no lives lost. I would bust you on the 911 call, but adrenaline and the need to protect oneself from harm will override basic sense as you go from standard living to self defense mode. I've done both law enforcement and military exercises in home clearing. Always good to have some backup, even if it is a dog. Especially a Rott. There are a lot of people out there who will try to call a bluff on you shooting them, but it's hard to reason with a mouth full of sharp teeth. And the nose for forewarning can't be disregarded either. Excellent showing on the reason it's good to have our firearms.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You posted something, I commented. Sorry if it was not the response you were looking for.
Did you fix your window yet?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wanted to share a nice little story with my new found friends at HPFF. WOW! Clearing your house tacticaly OVERKILL! damn some people scare me ...You watch to many movies man!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts