Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at the range, and had found a bundle of magazines that was probably 6 inches thick, and damp. Shot at 20 yds.

We shot it with a 995 using 115gr WWB, and then a 4095 using 180gr WWB.

Neither round completely pierced the bundle.

Cut the bundle apart, and started pulling the magazines out to see how deep the penetration was.

Surprised me, but the 9mm went further than the 4095. 9mm about 3/4 of the way through the bundle, 4095 about half.

BUT

It amazed me that the 9mm rounds stayed intact with just a little distortion.

The WWB 180gr 40 S&W ball rounds had ALL opened like hollow points, they were as big around as a 12 gauge shotgun slug. The copper jackets were still on the lead, but were jagged edges sticking out past the lead itself, which was flattened out.

I know I would much rather have took a hit in the leg or arm with the 9mm than I would that 40 cal. I think the 40 cal would have done massive damage to soft tissue. Whether it would have pierced the chest I cannot say.

Surprised the hell out of me.

I figured they would be intact as the 9mm were.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
This is more a factor of surface area and speed then kenetic energy. since the .40 is a larger diamiter it builds up much more friction then a slimmer 9mm going at a slightly higher velocity.

·
Registered
825 Posts
This seems to mimic what I'd seen on a TV show while comparing the 9mm to the 45acp. They were testing both calibers effectiveness in various situations. At the end of the show the suggestion was made that in cold climates a 9mm may be a better choice for SD as the bullet tends to penetrate further through heavy clothing normally worn in the cold. Warmer dress favors the slower moving 45 round as it can expand in the flesh and bone causing the damage needed whereas the 9mm may simply pass through.

I should scare up a wad of phone books and do some testing of my own I suppose as it does sound fun.

G

·
Please don't take this as an insult or anything, but are you sure the .40 rounds aren't JHP? I have not seen WWB 180 gr in anything but the JHP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting Test! The local LEO's went from 9mm to 40 caliber a few years ago. I asked one why & he replied "more stopping power with the 40". Of course LEO's have access to the best ammo that a Citizen can't get.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I don't seem to have a problem (OK some times I have to mail order it) getting the same ammo, even the stuff labled "Law Enforcement Only" that LEO's get. It usually is more of a marketing scheme to make thier ammo more attractive to joe citizen............

·
Premium Member
579 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
i emailed Federal tech support to ask if they had a suggestion for a good 9mm round for my 3.5 barreled Bersa thunder..

he said the 124gr Hydra-shock..... I then asked why not HST, he said HST is only available to law enforcement...

well then, that settles it, off to ammotogo.com to get my 124gr HST!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

The Federal HST 124gr JHP (P9HST1) got a perfect for weight retention, and performed as anticipated.

G

·
Great pic of sample bullets . I have used GoldDot in a 44 special before , but I think I had better get some for my C9 . I wouldn't want to get shot with any of those . Well I wouldn't want to get shot with anything really .

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The Nastiest looking ones are the HST and the Ranger SXT yikes all those little points :lol:

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
Any tests on Hornady XTP? that's what I have my JCP loaded with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts