Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at the range, and had found a bundle of magazines that was probably 6 inches thick, and damp. Shot at 20 yds.

We shot it with a 995 using 115gr WWB, and then a 4095 using 180gr WWB.

Neither round completely pierced the bundle.

Cut the bundle apart, and started pulling the magazines out to see how deep the penetration was.

Surprised me, but the 9mm went further than the 4095. 9mm about 3/4 of the way through the bundle, 4095 about half.

BUT

It amazed me that the 9mm rounds stayed intact with just a little distortion.

The WWB 180gr 40 S&W ball rounds had ALL opened like hollow points, they were as big around as a 12 gauge shotgun slug. The copper jackets were still on the lead, but were jagged edges sticking out past the lead itself, which was flattened out.

I know I would much rather have took a hit in the leg or arm with the 9mm than I would that 40 cal. I think the 40 cal would have done massive damage to soft tissue. Whether it would have pierced the chest I cannot say.

Surprised the hell out of me.

I figured they would be intact as the 9mm were.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Very interesting. Nice test. Good info.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
9mm is widely known for its deep penetration for a pistol round. modern 40 cal bullets are desogned to mushroom like you described. they also have a flatter more pronounced ogive on teh bullet which also enhances bulet deformation. 9mm is a more streamlined, pointy projectile.

SW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new HP JCP 40SW owner and wanted to see how my different rounds performed in a similar type shoot. I used 2 large phone books taped together (5 1/2" thick) at about 10 yards. My FMJ rounds (Winchester) penetrated both phone books, bullets not recovered. Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP penetrated to the back of the second phone book but showed no expansion whatsoever. My 135gr Pow'R Ball ammo penetrated approximately 5'' and expanded perfectly. I'm keeping my HP loaded with the Pow'R Ball for my HD rounds.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
9mm is widely known for its deep penetration for a pistol round. modern 40 cal bullets are desogned to mushroom like you described. they also have a flatter more pronounced ogive on teh bullet which also enhances bulet deformation. 9mm is a more streamlined, pointy projectile.

SW
Spot on. The .40 S&W was designed specifically to not overpenatrate yet still retain good stopping power and high velocity.

At the end of the day I would vote to not be shot by either caliber.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts

SW
Spot on. The .40 S&W was designed specifically to not overpenatrate yet still retain good stopping power and high velocity.

At the end of the day I would vote to not be shot by either caliber.
At the end of the day, I don't want to get shot by any caliber. LOL. I really like .40 myself though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Has anyone used 9mm 147 gr hydro shocks through there 995 and idea how these penetrate and what the extra velocity does to the bullet expansion. I use the black talons and hydro shocks in my S&W 9mm next to the bed for hd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.