Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people mean when it comes to recipes? Don't you just use the appropriate powder from a bottle to reload whatever round you are shooting? I am new to reloading and still reading and trying to learn before actually attempting and this is the only place where recipes have been mentioned. I want to know as much as possible so I don't go kaboom when I actually start reloading.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
a recipie is a given combination of componenets in a round. there may be a dozen different powders that will work, but one may work better than the other. plus each company has its own recipies for its own powder as well.

SW

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
What SW said.

Also load data for a specific powder may state for example 5.0 to 6.1 grains. A recipe will state an exact grain such as 5.6. A specific bullet weight, such as 230 grains. Primers come in either standard or magnum and the "recipe" will state which one to use. Let us not forget over-all length (OAL) which also varies and will be stated in the recipe.

Someone has taken the time and trouble to experiment and find out what combination of these components works best in a particular gun.

Good example is that the 9mm reloads I developed a recipe for worked great in my C9 but performed terrible in my 995. I knew Silicon Wolverine had a great 9mm carbine recipe. I asked, he shared, and saved me a lot of powder, primers, and lead working something up. So now I have 2 recipes for 9mm that use different powders and OAL but the same boolit weight.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Recipe is a specific load, X type and weight bullet over Y grains of brand Z powder With this B type primer and seated to C depth. Generally reloaders like to "fiddle around" and come up with a recipe that works good for them... Whatever you do, don't bash someone elses favorite brand of powder!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.