A question of (trading) ethics...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by gman68W, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gman68W

gman68W Lemme Show Ya Something! Member

So, my dad bought a Glock 30 some years ago on the advice of another doctor he's worked with, but hasn't done much with it. It sits under his desk with a big box of Winchester target ammo that has now corroded to the point of uselessness due to improper storage in salty sea air.

Fast forward to today. My NOS Radom P-64 has pretty much supplanted my Charter Arms Mag Pug as my CCW of choice, and I've always wanted a .45 of some kind. Dad doesn't know a lot about guns, particularly their worth, and I suspect the only reason he got the thing was because of the first of Obama's gun scares, and for peace of mind.

My question to the HPFF public is "Is it unethical to propose a trade of one firearm for another of lesser value to someone who has small knowledge of said value?"

Another question might be "Wouldn't I be doing him a favor by getting him to trade away a Glock?" :nahnah:

[EDIT]
    Need to clarify, this was a rhetorical. The question, I mean. Not the scenario that prompted me to ask it. I wouldn't cheat the guy.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes it is. But people do so all the time.

Give him some links to completed auctions or private-seller to private-seller sales to gauge his price on. Then tell him what you want to trade or pay him for it. He's your Dad, he'll probably sell/trade it to you for that.

Unless he loves you.

"What man, if his son asks him for a gun will give him a Glock? And what man if his son asks him for a fish will give him a snake." was the original translation, I'm pretty sure. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Why?

Why would You offer someone of Your bloodline 'such a deal'...

Man up!

Tell him Why You want to trade and offer him full value of Your weapon AND Cash in exchange for His pistol.

eldar

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

INTEGRITY .. Is doing the right thing, even if no one is watching

5. slade601

slade601 Member

Kirks just bent outta shape! ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1436994989.953646.jpg

6. GulfCoastGuy

GulfCoastGuy Member

As apposed to doing the LEFT thing, whenever. {in the political sense}

7. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

I would not know what to do, I've been buying my dad guns every christmas for the past five years, and ammo so he'll get out of the house and shoot with me because it's the one thing we can do without pissing each other off some type of way.

But I agree with the others, no way I'd try to sucker anyone on trades or sales, or anything else really, I'm an a-hole, but an honest one.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've come up on the better end of my last few gun acquisitions, but we both knew it, I did some work and footwork for him, and offered to make up the difference later.... Point being, honesty and integrity are all a man has, that are his to control.... And damn hard to repair, once they're compromised..... Just be honest and upfront.

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

If you'll ripoff your family, you'll rip off anyone.
    Thanks for warning us.

11. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

When you sign up for an account with, and use the HipointFirearms Forums, you agree to the following:

1. No posting of inappropriate/immoral/illegal material.

I'm almost positive this is.......... immoral

12. slade601

slade601 Member

It's okay. I never read the terms of agreement!

13. gman68W

I suppose another good question would be, "Are Glocks really worth $600, or has every vendor ever been overcharging anyone who's ever bought one?"

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

If you have to ask its wrong.
    And I think it costs about $20 dollars in material. Not counting labor and such.

15. gman68W

I edited the OP to reflect that I asked the question as a rhetorical, but I don't think people are re-reading it.

I'm also wondering how many people trade guns without a thought to their monetary value. How often do trades come up where two guys have a gun that they both couldn't care less if it was lost somewhere, but the other guy has something the first really wants? Are they both thinking "Wow, this guy sure is eager to get his hands on something that, in my opinion, is pretty much worthless"?

16. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Do you not get along with your dad? Couldn't you just ask him for the gun? Can't you just be forthcoming about your intent? Maybe he will just give it to you without trading.

I don't know, it just seems dishonest to be deceptive. Taking advantage of someone's ignorance is not right. Especially if that someone is family. Just sayin

17. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Obama's gun scares still scares me. Maybe it still scares your dad too. I'd let him continue to have his peace of mind by letting him keep the gun he chose. Even though he hasn't done anything with the gun, he is still prepared.

Doesn't it say somewhere to honor your father and your mother. Don't be the prodigal son; honor your dad by getting him some new ammo for his Glock 30.

18. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

Time to hit the confessional booth with Father O'Malley. Lol :D

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm with Dagwood.

"Hey, dad....you know that old .45 you have? You never use it, right? Why don't you give it to me, I'll take it home and shoot it some."

If he says yes, it's all good. If he has objections, you'll be able to find out what you need to do to make it work.

Some questions...is that his only gun? Does he carry? Can he or will he shoot the little hand cannon, at all? Don't want to leave him defenseless.

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.