Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may be stupid, but I'm definitely looking for people's opinions.

The bulk of weapons I own and take to the range (regularly) are semi-automatics. Being the good firearm owner that I am, I clean them after each trip. Well, okay..I slack on the AK every now and then, but seriously...you could fill the receiver with gravel and it'd still shoot :tongue2:

Anywho, to clean a SA, you have to open the breech, which in turn cocks the hammer. After closing the breech, you have a cocked hammer and a weapon waiting for the trigger to be pulled. Here's the question:

What do you guys do at that point? There's no real easy way to easily de-cock these rifles and I hate hate HATE to dry-fire. Are snap-caps my only option? Do you guys just leave your rifles cocked until you take them out to fire?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Why fire/de-cock it? It doesn't wear the spring out. The repeated compression and decompression is what wears the spring out.

Close the bolt, and turn the safety on and call it a day.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I simply dry fire the centerfire guns and leave the rimfire cocked since, as stated, the spring wears out after repeated use, not resting in either a sprung/unsprung state. You can always use snap caps and store with them in the breach.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm with Mr_Mac, I go ahead and dry file the centerfires, and with my rimfires, I ease the bolt back about 1/8-3/16" to prevent the pin from striking any metal and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I usually use the same technique at HouLlama.

Ron M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.