A very nice 38 spl revolver I have had for awhile

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by ArmyScout, Apr 14, 2015.

1. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Have had this for awhile, just never posted a pic, so here it is.
    1944 S&W WWII Victory Model 38 spl. 2.25" barrel. Hardley used, locks up real good, timing is right on, etc. The grips are not original but very cool. In the pics they look black but are dark blue with white accects. Shoots anything I put through it including +P

[​IMG]

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I saw on gun talk that there is a 38 long colt rd that you can shoot thru either your 38 spl or 357. It supposedly is a lighter load and less recoil, muzzle rise? Something like that. It's good range ammo.
    Anyway, nice revolver!

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Very nice. Looks like most the finish is still there. Nickle was rare, right?

You're not worried about shooting +P?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. ArmyScout

IL
    I don't know if nickel plating on firearms was rare during WWII or not. I have not seen many pistols from that era. I have shot maybe 15 rds of +P in it some by accident and some just for comparison. This pistol is not for every day use as is my M1 Carbine. So no +P worries.
    As far as +P is concerned: http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2009/01/p-phenomenon-by-saxonpig.html. Each can draw their on .02

5. Love it! I am such a sucker for 38s. I have 2 Smiths and 3 Colts and looking for more. You should try MOP grips on that one..... would be more pimp!:)

6. ArmyScout

IL
    I have thought about finding some original grips for it. But I really like the grips that are on it, they are very attractive and were probably expensive. Went out yesterday and got some HP ammo for it. Damn .38 spl ammo is "expensive". With my budget I won't be doing a lot of shooting with it.

7. Correct, you can shoot .38 Long Colt thru a .38 special but Long Colt ammo is harder to find.

.38 Long Colt > .38 Special > .357 Magnum > .357 Maximum

In that list, a revolver chambered for a specific cartridge will also chamber and fire ones to the left of it, but not ones to the right.

For example, a .38 Special will chamber and fire a .38 Long Colt, but will not chamber/fire a .357 Magnum

8. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

I learned something today. Why was I never told about .38 Long Colt. Not that I will buy any, but it is good information to know in case I come across some cheap. I've always shot .38 special out of my .357, but I didn't know there was another alternative.

Thanks for the information.

9. MAXIMUM?!!?!?!?!? time for some fun wikipedia reading

10. for anyone else who said "what is this 357max you speak of?

from wikipedia
    "The .357 Maximum, formally known as the .357 Remington Maximum or the .357 Max, is a super magnum handgun cartridge originally developed by Elgin Gates as the wildcat .357 SuperMag.[1] The .357 Maximum was introduced into commercial production as a joint-venture by Remington Arms Company and Ruger in 1983 as a new chambering for the Ruger Blackhawk.[2] Shortly thereafter, Dan Wesson Firearms and Thompson/Center Arms introduced firearms in this cartridge. United Sporting Arms chambered it in their Silhouette series single-action revolvers. It is a .357 Magnum case lengthened 0.300 inches (7.6 mm).[3] Based on the .357 Magnum cartridge, a revolver or single-shot pistol designed for the .357 Max can fire .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38 Long Colt, and .38 Short Colt rounds. Intended primarily as a silhouette cartridge, such high velocity and energy levels have hunting applications.[2] SAAMI pressure level for this cartridge is set at 48,000 pounds per square inch (330 MPa) CUP.[2]

Despite stellar performance, the high pressure and velocity of the cartridge caused flame cutting of revolver top straps (due to the use of light 110 and 125 grains (7.1 and 8.1 g) bullets), and the cartridge has since been dropped by all manufacturers who so chambered their revolvers.[4] Single shot pistols and rifles (e.g., Thompson/Center Contender) are still available in this caliber, and remain popular among handloaders.[2] Unprimed brass is still produced every few years by Remington.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because .38LC is only available in 3 ways:

• Very small (and expensive) factory runs
    • Handloaders with antique guns
    • Antique ammunition that you don't actually want to shoot
    :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  12. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Watch eBay for grips. I looked real quick and currently there's some with bidding at less than $10 with free shipping.

13. ArmyScout

IL
    Thanks. eBay has a lot of gun accessories.

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Which I buy all the time with PayPal!..... Muahahahaha!

15. LOL...I had to do the same thing.

16. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I'm partial to old 38's and yours is a gem, Vanguard.

17. ArmyScout

IL
    The serial number indicates it was made in 1944. I would put it against any 38 spl made today. I just got a .357, so I will be shooting most of my .38 spl out of it, and preserve the Victory Model for my families posterity.