A week ago the school district received an email

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TeaSipper, Apr 28, 2014.

1. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

2. Branth

Branth Member

Wow... Narrowly avoided another catastrophe. I'd hate to think what would have happened if the parents had been less attentive and not looked for the guns in the house.

3. TeaSipper

TeaSipper Member

I think it's the email threat that had his parents thinking. They must've suspected something and decided to look.

4. desertrider

desertrider Member

"Tarwater's parents notified school officials after they discovered their son was not at home when they woke up, Chancellor said. When his parents checked the house for weapons, they discovered that the three guns were missing, Chancellor said."

WTF?

There is way more going on here. This kid is obviously trouble.

Let's see, parents get up in the morning, notice kid isn't around, then notify the school? Odd.

Next, they check the house for weapons inventory? More odd behavior.

Furthermore, the kid must have exhibited some kind of strange behavior to illicit the above mentioned suspicions/reactions from his parents. Why the hell did he have access to weapons to begin with?

I don't know where the break down is, but with this kind of crap continually going on, there will one day be a full ban on firearms.

5. Ehh, kids are crafty m'fers. And depending the restrictions put on them, the craftier they get. My Dad always kept his shotgun in the open; we could always grab it if we wanted to. But he had us fire it a few times when we were big enough to hold it and taught us the sort of damage it could do, so we never really bothered with it; plus, if we said we wanted to shoot it, he took us to the range. So there was no desire to do anything with it we shouldn't have.
    However, one thing he did keep us away from was his garage. We were not allowed in the garage without him around, period. At about age ten, curiosity got the better of me and my brother, age seven at the time. The door to the garage was one of those knobs with the pinholes in it that you put that thing that looks like a small flathead screwdriver through to unlock it. Well, we took a coat hanger and I pounded one end with a hammer and we spent a bit of time picking the lock. We didn't go in, we just picked the lock. Gained some confidence. So we waited, then when my Dad was off at work, we went out and picked the lock again, this time going in.

Okay, what happened next still hurts me physically to talk about. Inside was his '79 Mustang he had built from scratch. On the bench in front of it was a few cans of spray paint. Do the math.
    First thing that I did was lie to my Dad about it and blamed my brother, who got one Hell of a whoopin' for it. Well, I felt guilty as Hell, and eventually confessed. My conscience was clear by my ass was red for a week. After that he started taking us in the garage with him more. Completely eliminated our desire to want to sneak in there and get in trouble.

I don't think the question is, "Why did he have access to guns?" I think the question is, "Why did he have access to guns and think they were something to be used in this way?"
    Was he mentally ill? That's the first question I ask. The second is, if the first answer is no, why didn't his parents teach him about guns and remove that desire? I mean, I just speak from personal experience; the more I'm taught about something, the more I respect it and have less of a desire to misuse it. I didn't know much about cars and wanted to speed them all up and down the road. I learned to drive, now I'm barely above the speed limit (but let's be honest, freeway in the middle of Montana, yeah, I'm no grandma). I didn't know much about guns, I wanted to shoot them and point them at people and all that stuff. I learned about them, muzzle discipline became second nature and I wouldn't dream of doing anything unsafe like that.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

while i agree 100% that the kid must have had previous issues for the parents to immediately check thier guns when the kid wasnt home when they woke up, but, at the same time, the parents are partially to blame, for not having thier guns locked up. yeah, ive got a nightstand gun that is out all the time, that anyone could grab, but, not multiple guns. every other gun i have is securely locked away and out of reach of anyone. the way they should be.

7. Ah, but does it really matter how many guns are out and how many are locked up? One person is one person, no matter the number of guns, as he can only use max two at a time, and even then not accurately. I agree they should be locked up when nobody is home, but when you are home, well, it's your option of course but does it really matter? If your loved ones know not to mess with the one in your nightstand, why would they be any different around your other ones? Gun rules apply to all firearms, whether they be .22 peashooters to 20mm anti-tank rifles. So it doesn't really make sense to keep one out at all times while locking the others away. I mean, it's your option and your right, of course, but I wouldn't do it myself, but that's just me.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

very well said. and, seeing it, i gotta say, you're totally correct. it only takes one gun to kill someone, and leaving one out, especially if you dont trust your kids mental state is ignorance at its highest level. me personally, i have no children here during the week, so, i dont have to worry about my kids picking up my nightstand gun, and more importantly, my kids when they are here, arent nutjobs that im in fear will ever do anything stupid. but, again, i have to agree with you, in any situation, even one left out can be taken by a kid and used. guess you dont always think logically until you see it from another persons eyes.

9. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

instead of my nightstand i keep my bedside guns in a handgun cabinet right by the nightstand. the keys are always in the lock for quick access unless kids are over then i just pull the keys and tuck them away somewhere.

10. desertrider

desertrider Member

My stance on the subject of gun accessibility to minors and non-enthusiasts (meaning uninstructed but successfully socially integrated people) has proven to be very unpopular and polarizing.

Guns are devices of destruction. This is not arguable.

Minors, the overwhelming majority of them, lack life's experiences to make rational, intelligent, non-reactionary decisions to cope with and resolve situations in their young lives. This can be argued, but usually by liberal, commie, pinko-fag, hippies.

With the exception of two years that my son lived with his mom, the rest of his 18 years were spent with me and his step mom and there were always firearms in the home. I raised my son to respect firearms. One handgun in my nightstand, everything else in the safe. All ammo in a locked container. My son never had access to the safe combo or the keys to the ammo locker (ammo locker keys always in the safe).

My wife and I were very active with our son and always involved with his school and all extra curricular activities. We knew all his friends and the parents of most of his friends because we were involved in activities with them as well.

My son moved back in with his mom at 18 and pretty much lost interest in firearms at about 15. Recently he asked for two .22 rifles that were his, and I refused to give them to him because of the chaotic and transient activities in his moms home. If he acquires a safe, I'll transfer them over to him, but not until that happens.

11. Well I'm a libertarian, so I guess I'm close enough lol.
    Kids are products of their environment. If your environment is that of safety and a healthy respect for firearms, then your children will follow suit barring any extreme deviation or mental issues. I'm not a parent yet, but I am going off of what my father and various uncles (I have three on my Mom's side, one on my Dad's) raised us (my brother, my cousins, and I) under. They normally kept their firearms locked up or inaccessible until we were around five. After that, they began teaching us. Not always actively; example, sometimes we'd be watching a movie, and a character would point his gun unsafely or put his finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot, and my Dad would say, "See what he's doing with that gun? That's very wrong." I wasn't aware I was learning, but I was. I was practicing proper trigger discipline on my Super Soaker at age 7 without ever even realizing it.
    Remember, age is an arbitrary set of numbers decided upon by people who basically tossed a bunch of numbers in a hat and drew them at random. I am of course not saying a nine year old is at the same level of cognitive development as a nineteen year old, but I am saying that it's all dependent on the abilities of the child to learn and the parent to teach. I have seen children as young as four or five at the range plinking targets better than some of the adults around them. Likewise, I have seen adults who can be about as trusted with a gun as Obama with the economy.
    As I said previously, it is your right and your choice as to what you do with your firearms and deciding who has access to them and when.
    I'm just saying, while what you said about kids is generally true, the same can be said about, well, many, many adults who can otherwise walk into any gun shop and walk out with anything their bank accounts can handle.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's less random than you might think but has some unusual (to modern thinking) history.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. I actually knew that, I just didn't feel like explaining the whole sordid affair. :p

14. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    What good are guns that are locked up?

15. desertrider

desertrider Member

Looks like we've shared very similar circumstances in how we've each been trained and raised around firearms. Which, I passed on to my son and many of his friends growing up.

I was very open with the parents of my sons friends about the presence of firearms in our home and assured them that my nightstand gun would be locked in the safe anytime their children were over. While I had a couple of moms who showed some concern, they were offered the opportunity to come over and check things out, and all was good.

And I agree with you, there are many adults who can buy firearms that never should. But I'm keeping my opinions to myself on that, 'cause I'm not ready to get banned yet.:D

16. bluebone

did you forget the sarcasm smiley or what?

17. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The only way to keep firearms out of kids hands is to have the firearms locked up, or with trigger locks, etc, and the keys hidden away. But then, that leaves the homeowner defenseless in case of an intruder. We can't lock up every firearm and it's very difficult to stop kids from stealing firearms if they are not locked up. I guess the best of a bad situation is to keep one out for self defense and lock up the rest. Also parents have got to know their kids and what they are doing. In just about all these cases, warning signs were there, but the parents ignored them. Perplexing problem, but if something isn't done, the Feds will be passing gun locking legislation that we are not going to like.

18. bluebone

if i owned 15 guns, i'm not going to need 15 guns to deal with an intruder nor are all 15 of those guns suited for handling a home invasion. most of my guns are much better locked up and kept out of site and easy access because i will only use them in very specific situations. i will only have a cpl or three guns that i'll depend on for home defense and it's vital that these weapons be ready when needed but safely stored when not needed. that is simply the terms i've accepted as part of being a responsible gun owner. just because i own a few guns doesnt mean i need to proclaim it by running out in the yard with a gun in each hand and yelling.."YEEEEEHAAAAWW!!"