Abolish the ATF? Is it True????

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hermitt, Sep 19, 2014.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Never happen....

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

"Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) proposed legislation that would abolish the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and transfer its various functions to the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Agency."

Just trading one bunch of wangs for another. Nothing gained, nothing lost. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Interesting idea though.

The big questions:

Is it a good thing to have actual law enforcement in charge of enforcing paperwork laws, as well as things like handling gun running or illegal manufacturing?

Is it a good thing to have a more centralized enforcement of interstate commerce laws, like those involving FFL's? The NICS is already part of the FBI system, as is the NCIC and the III, the Interstate Identification Index, a database of criminal history record information. Using all of those to do FFL transfer requests could be a good thing?

Why should the DEA have anything to do with it? Maybe the importation side of things would make sense?

Of course, we all know what this really is...the same wangs would simply be wearing a different name badge, doing the same things they always did, only now they'd need even more budget for oversight and administration, as the organization is bigger.:rolleyes:

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Without really knowing all the details I'd be for it.
    Too many government agencies fishing in the same pond so merging one into the other two wouldn't be a bad move and could save a lot of tax payers money.
    A and T go to the DEA and Firearms go to the FBI.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Swags said it best, pretty much my opinion right there.
    Am I becoming more Pro or is Swaga becoming more... Con? ;)

6. Beowolf1911

Beowolf1911 Member

I'd like to keep the general law enforcement separate from this, too many big city cops who think we shouldn't have the same firepower as them.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I read somewhere that Holder is thinking of stepping down because of all the screw ups. He is the biggest screw up of all.

8. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    Why are firearms in same category as alcohol and tobacco?

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    They are all regulated items, either for taxation, or due to scariness.

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Fall guy?..... With a job waiting as a "consultant" somewhere?

11. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

If I remember my history correctly they were just alcohol and tobacco until the NFA was passed in the 30's, that is when firearms were added.