Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a new CF380 through Davidson's about a week ago. Field stripped it for a pre-use clean and lube. I was surprised to find what looks like accidental tooling marks on the inside top of the slide near the breach face (see pics). I wondered if maybe they weren't accidental. Then I figured I'd ask folks who know about HiPoints if this is common on theirs too.

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Rim
Bumper Font Composite material Metal Rectangle
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Wheel
Automotive tire Bumper Air gun Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

I'm gonna guess it was just sloppy tooling. I scrutinized the slide more and noticed the bare metal on one side of the slide is shorter than the other (see pics). Maybe the fitter just had a bad day that day.

Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Font Automotive exterior
Window Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Grille

I'm not expecting $1K fit and finish on a $180 pistol but the seemingly accidental gouge in the slide looks pretty sloppy—unless there's a reason for it...?

I haven't shot it yet. I racked the slide on a snap-cap filled magazine. The slide didn't go fully into battery and the dummy round got wedged in the chamber. I needed a cleaning rod to pop the dummy out. Maybe the gouge in the slide surface kicked the round in crooked...

Any insights on what this is, if it matters, and if I should do anything about it? I'd rather save myself the headache of a failure at the range if can avoid it.

Thanks!

·
Resident PITA
16,234 Posts
It's fine. Hi-Points don't hand cycle worth a shit. Leave the mag loaded to help break in the spring and go shoot the hell out of it when you can.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Looks like someone on the mill machine got a bit rambunctious on slide exterior side. Might of been the slide wasn't locked down in the holder correctly (or cutting chips weren't cleaned out of holder well enough when slide was flipped over to mill) to have one side cut a few thousandths more than the other side. I wouldn't worry much about the interior cut unless its deep enough that you think it will make the metal brittle and crack in that area from usage. You can call MOM and ask about it, along with some pictures to show. They'll probably send you another slide for both conditions. If they do replace the slide, might as well ask them to send out another firing pin and springs for the future need. It'll all be free.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
Probably a bit of slag left there from the casting process and somebody was a tad too aggressive with a grinder.
Shoot it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't think this is unusual, my .40 S&W JCP has similar marks in it. I DO find it odd that proper deburring doesn't seem to take place prior to applying finish/paint to the components; but the gun only has to go bang, not look great, and I hear very little about HiPoints not working right even when they're not properly cared for.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,151 Posts
I don't think this is unusual, my .40 S&W JCP has similar marks in it. I DO find it odd that proper deburring doesn't seem to take place prior to applying finish/paint to the components; but the gun only has to go bang, not look great, and I hear very little about HiPoints not working right even when they're not properly cared for.
I'm just surprised they don't take a minute or two to knock down the burrs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts