Accuracy comparison

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by FRED J WAHL, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hi , All,
    I own 8 Hi-Points, 7 of which are handguns in all the calibers that H-P makes. I was wondering what the experiences are of other H-P handgun owners, regarding the accuracy of their respective pistols and calibers. I normally shoot at 25 yards, and being a long time hand loader, have been able to come up with several good and accurate recipes for .380 ACP, 9MM, and .45 ACP, (as yet I'm not satisfied with the reloads accuracy for my two .40 S&W H-Ps).
    I am curious as to what other H-P shooters are achieving at 25 yards distance, from a rest, and also to share the good loads recipes I've come up with, thru private E-mails. (I use lead bullets and my own cast "boolits" as much as possible, as they cause a lot less wear and tear on the barrels.)
    In spite of my 79 year old age and deteriorating eyesight, I am still what I consider to be a good marksman, due to lots of practice!
    I'd be grateful for any and all responses, (other than the usual sarcasm and insults we old timers so often receive!)
    Thanks,
    Fred J. Wahl, a.k.a "Honcho"

2. pghrich

pghrich Member

Hello fred, I too am old(67) and reload all my own, I buy my lead bullets local , my 45acp heads are usually 230 grain coated cherry (color) rn, they run me about $48.00 per 500. It usually cost me around $7.50 per box of 50. I am getting great accuracy at 25 yards from my jhp, usually hit most of the bowling pins, I average about 23 hits out of 25 when the lighting is right, rich pyle

3. Hi, Rich, thanks for the response!
    I have 2 H-P .45s, one of which is the old "Stallard" model, and both of them give very good accuracy with a load I have come up with, using Bullseye powder. (The Bullseye formula is now over 100 years old, and hasn't changed in all that time-- gives me great accuracy in all my handguns, including "wheel guns"!) Who says we "Old timers" can't still "Git 'er done"!
    I sometimes buy cast bullets, usually from Missouri Bullet company, but they hit you over the head with shipping costs because of the weight. My best performing bullets have been the 200 Grain Lead Semi Wadcutter bullets, and I have had no problem with feeding in any of my .45s, (2 H-Ps and an Armscor 1911, and a old Ruger P-90).
    I also use a lot of my "Home brewed" cast bullets, cast from aluminum Lee molds, and they perform almost as well as the store bought bullets.
    I'd be interested in knowing what your accurate load recipes are, as it is getting expensive to try a bunch of loads from the manuals, which seldom give you good accuracy. I would also pass on the good loads I've come up with, which have made my inexpensive H-Ps perform like guns costing 3 or 4 times more than I paid for them! Since you can't post load recipes on the Forum, my E-mail is: [email protected]
    Cheers,
    Fred

4. pghrich

pghrich Member

Hey fred I sent you a pm, rich pyle

5. pghrich

pghrich Member

Okay , i will try to resend from my other device, rich pyle

6. Use regular E-mail address

Hey, Rich,
    Don't know why the P.M. is not receiving, I tried sending myself a P.M., and it didn't go thru, so suggest using my regular E-Mail: [email protected]
    Cheers,
    Fred

7. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I have had great results in my 40 S&W high point pistole and carbine using lee molds and hodgen HS6. I have the lee mold 145 grain and the 175 non tumble lube bullet. I have also used rainier 165 grain copper plated hollow point bullet. This bullet gave awesome groups at 25 yards with hodgen HS6 out of the carbine. The lee Bullets I use lee liquid Alox for lube or the white label lube of LLA JPA and mineral sprits.

8. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

Sorry it should be JPW Johnsons paste wax . If any body needs load info let me know

9. .40 S&W Load recipes

Hi, I'd be very interested in your .40 S&W load recipes, as stated in my original thread, I haven't been able to come up with any that I would consider good, accurate loads in my two H-P .40s, and that's with having tried about 100 different loads!
    Please send them to my E-mail address, since my Forum "Private Message" is not working for some reason.
    Thanks, Fred (A.K.A. "Honcho")
    [email protected]

10. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

I will send u the load I use its in my lee book and also the hodgen web site. I have the 175 grain lee billet mold . Since hodgen doesn't list lead 175 bullet data I use the berb 180 data. That bullet is a plated soft lead. Also I have used Rainer 165 grain plated hollow point bullets with great results. I use also the data on hodgens site for the 165 grain lead bullet

11. jniedbalski

jniedbalski Member

Also with the lee bullet mold I don't size the bullet and shoot as cast it seems to shoot better. Also try if u have it the lee factory crimp die. I tried it with and without but I think I get slightly better groups leaving them un sized as the lee factory crimp die can size the bullet down slightly. If u don't have problems with the round chamfering u don't need the factory crimp die but try it it might help.