Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a proud and excited owner of a 995 which I have been loading for and shooting for about a month now. I love the weapon and have had absolutely ZERO failures in about 320-350 rounds. My issue is accuracy. I am not sure if the problem lies with me, the gun or both. The issue is not severe but when I compare my results to some of the claims on this site and elsewhere I fall short. My best groups are about 1.75" @ 50yd with plated or JHP 115g ammo. Notice I said BEST; often my groups are 7"-8". This is using the best rest I have available (at that given time) and the 4x scope with see through rings that came on the weapon. I would think that using a scope and a rest I should be able to very consistently shoot 2" @ 50yd and 5"-6" at 100. is this realistic or what?
PS there are no other factors to consider such as wind etc.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Did you account for the height of the scope off the bore axis? The see through rings raise it up at least another 1/2" or so. Not really an issue for close in but farther out, it matters a lot.

Don't own a 995 personally yet, but from experience with other weapons, see through rings are a bad idea. You need to get the scope cross hairs as close to the bore axis as possible. Type scope may also play a large role in it. Did you sight it in using iron sights first? That might tell you if it's the gun or the optic.

If it's the gun HP will fix it, if it's the optic,...

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
realistically thats not bad. i shoot for a paladin sized target at 100 meters and i can hit it every time if im doing my job. thats my standard of accuracy with a pistol calibner carbine with iron sights. i dont use scopes so i can say what mine does but ive shot it off a lead sled at 50 meters and been under 2.5"

SW

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I don't know what brand of scope you are using, however BSA and low end Bushnell, Tasco, and some Center Points are known to not hold zero. Try your Iron sights if you have them or a known good scope. I get 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards with almost any 115 FMJ and 3 to 4 at 100 with a BSA RD30 red dot sight. Check your rings and base, I had a loose ring the caused my sight to jump around. See through rings can tend to make good and repeatable sight alignment difficult. Accurate bench shooting is not as easy as you may think. Do not rest the fore end on your hand and brace the but with sand bags. Place a sand bag at your trigger arm elbow to force you in the same position each time. The most important thing is to do every action the same each time.

Ron M.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is this accuracy with all different kinds of ammo, or just one particular kind?

I've run two kinds of reloads through my 995. One was with Winchester 115gr Silver Tip hollowpoints, the other was with 125 grain lead round noses. The Winchester HPs could shoot 3/4" groups at 50 yards. The lead round noses were doing good to hold a 4" group, and more normally it was 5 to 6 inches at 50 yards.

If you've only put one kind of ammo through it so far, I'd give some different ammo a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys Thanks for the great input! The scope on this weapon is the first I've ever had and I did not think about the heightened rings. They are likely SOME part of the problem. I really need to try the Iron sights, that may give me some more info----but unfortunately one of the allen screws is stripped on the mount (at purchase) so I have not been able to take the scope mount off (ie I wouldn't be able to mount all the screws back even if I could get it off) I don't know how that happened unless the dealer installed the scope for display. the rings on the scope don't look like they are cinched together properly but they are tight.
As far as ammo I have stuck primarily to Winchester JHP115 loaded on top of Winchester AutoComp powder. The load could probably use some tweaking but I need more consistency to do that work. I have tried a Round Flat bullet that I cast (about 131grains) that was on top of a minimum charge of Clays Universal I got about the same results out of them. I just picked up about four--Actually I tried plated 115's also, which were the same---new projectiles to try.
The rest is also something I need to work on. This stuff is not easy!!

I wonder what I should do about that screw? I don't want to send the gun in for that!!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Hey Guys Thanks for the great input! The scope on this weapon is the first I've ever had and I did not think about the heightened rings. They are likely SOME part of the problem. I really need to try the Iron sights, that may give me some more info----but unfortunately one of the allen screws is stripped on the mount (at purchase) so I have not been able to take the scope mount off (ie I wouldn't be able to mount all the screws back even if I could get it off) I don't know how that happened unless the dealer installed the scope for display. the rings on the scope don't look like they are cinched together properly but they are tight.
As far as ammo I have stuck primarily to Winchester JHP115 loaded on top of Winchester AutoComp powder. The load could probably use some tweaking but I need more consistency to do that work. I have tried a Round Flat bullet that I cast (about 131grains) that was on top of a minimum charge of Clays Universal I got about the same results out of them. I just picked up about four--Actually I tried plated 115's also, which were the same---new projectiles to try.
The rest is also something I need to work on. This stuff is not easy!!

I wonder what I should do about that screw? I don't want to send the gun in for that!!
If the scope or sight mounting is damaged, send it back to HP with a letter explaining the problem. They'll take care of it and make sure new bolts are put in so you can use it properly. If you send the gun in, not only will they fix it, they will probably send you an extra magazine for your trouble. You kill two birds with one stone that way, you get your problem fixed and get another, free, magazine. You know you were gonna buy more mags anyway,.. :)

I would also suggest getting one of those laser bore sighters from wally world and checking your scope alignment. Once the scope issue is fixed and it's bore sighted in, then you can start to make some worthwhile observations. Trying to gauge accuracy with faulty equipment is never a good idea and will always end in disappointment.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bore sight tool might be a valuable option. I Think I will head to the range with a box of shiny handloads and see what sort of results I get using the front sight and my "see through" rings. I should probably be using them for "seeing through," as they are likely contributing to my problem. Here is a pic of the rings and their attachment to the rail, as well as an arrow the stripped part.
Even though they look really bad they are tight. I could not get them to grab any better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The bore sight tool might be a valuable option. I Think I will head to the range with a box of shiny handloads and see what sort of results I get using the front sight and my "see through" rings. I should probably be using them for "seeing through," as they are likely contributing to my problem. Here is a pic of the rings and their attachment to the rail, as well as an arrow the stripped part.
Even though they look really bad they are tight. I could not get them to grab any better.
That scope looks pretty high off the bore axis to me. Is there a rear sight for you to "see" through the rings? If not the front sight isn't gonna do you any good,... Is it possible to remove the scope and grip the bad screw, carefully, with a pair of vise grips or something? I don't know, that's why I'm asking, I don't own a 995 yet.

Come to think of it, that scope rail looks pretty dang tall too. Is that the factory one? I thought they were shorter than that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I could probably get the screw out its back in I am worried about. The rings do not have a rear sight per-se but their is plenty to line up with. It isn't perfect for the iron sights but it will work. I hope I can get the scope to work. The idea was scope for 25-100yd,, iron sights for quick acquisition out to 50yd,,, and a laser for up close and personal. It might be that I am just a bad shooter. I hear claims like " I can hit a soda can with Iron sights at 100yds all day long!" and I feel like crying. I know I can't do that! I mean you can barely see a soda can at 100yds!!!!!
And yes the rings are 1" tall

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes I could probably get the screw out its back in I am worried about. The rings do not have a rear sight per-se but their is plenty to line up with. It isn't perfect for the iron sights but it will work. I hope I can get the scope to work. The idea was scope for 25-100yd,, iron sights for quick acquisition out to 50yd,,, and a laser for up close and personal. It might be that I am just a bad shooter. I hear claims like " I can hit a soda can with Iron sights at 100yds all day long!" and I feel like crying. I know I can't do that! I mean you can barely see a soda can at 100yds!!!!!
And yes the rings are 1" tall
Well if you can get the damaged one out, HP would probably send you a new set that aren't damaged for free. Easier than sending the whole gun in. :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm not an expert, but jacketed hollow points in 115 grain at 100 yards? That's kind of unreasonable isn't it?

Basicly for distances past 50 yards you should be using a heavier bullet with a much higher charge.

147 grain would have more velocity and kinetic energy past 50 yards. You are going to have slightly higher recoil but longer combustion through the chamber so you will have a higher initial spin trajectory meaning it will shoot a little high at short range but more standard at long range.

The big question is what do you want from the ammo. What are practicing for? Is this self defense shooting or is it ranged plinking? Hunting?

Just for plinking you might want to avoid hollow points. If it's self defense I would still say go with a heavier grain, but don't practice at 100 yards. Practice at 25-30. I don't know where you live but if you feel threatened at 100 yards the DA is probably going to call it murder instead of self defense.
If you want to hunt, then go with a heavier grain. You'll have more kinetic energy at the longer range.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes a heavier bullet would be better. Right now I take what I can get. I plan on developing a load for several bullets. the 147g HP will be the main defense load. I practice for use of the gun as (this sounds horrible) a killing tool. In an emergency/survival hunting situation or a SHTF scenario. If there is something I need to shoot I want to shoot it at 100yds if I can. I want to be the best I can be with the gun. If this gun won't allow me to shoot within 8" everytime @100yd and a little better @50,,,I'll need to find a gun that can. perhaps my expectations are too high.?. I think with practice and the right load it will do it. I just need to work the bugs out. (and find me some 147g HP bugs to work out really fast)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!!! I removed the scope from the mount and re-attached it; this time with violent force. At the range today I also borrowed a friends rest and bags and shot very meticulously loaded Winchester HP 115. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I was consistently shooting 1&1/4" groups (or better) @50yd and repeatedly shot 2" at 100yd!!!!!!!! (I can not quite figure that out, but I will take it.)The 995 is one fantastic weapon!!! The proper rest and bags also helped me to improve groups with my Mosin 91-30. This sort of accuracy is excellent for any application suiting the 9mm Luger. The proper rest is so important. I thought as long as the front is steadied on SOMETHING it would be good---NOPE For real accuracy EVERY SMALL DETAIL IS CRITICAL. Now I can begin to fine tune my loads. I have slugged the barrel and I know that this barrel will shoot better as it is worn in. I am more than pleased.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Update!!! I removed the scope from the mount and re-attached it; this time with violent force. At the range today I also borrowed a friends rest and bags and shot very meticulously loaded Winchester HP 115. The results were FANTASTIC!!!!!!! I was consistently shooting 1&1/4" groups (or better) @50yd and repeatedly shot 2" at 100yd!!!!!!!! (I can not quite figure that out, but I will take it.)The 995 is one fantastic weapon!!! The proper rest and bags also helped me to improve groups with my Mosin 91-30. This sort of accuracy is excellent for any application suiting the 9mm Luger. The proper rest is so important. I thought as long as the front is steadied on SOMETHING it would be good---NOPE For real accuracy EVERY SMALL DETAIL IS CRITICAL. Now I can begin to fine tune my loads. I have slugged the barrel and I know that this barrel will shoot better as it is worn in. I am more than pleased.
Congrats, glad you got it sorted out. The scope probably wasn't mounted right or securely when you got it. Based on experience with other HP weapons, I knew you should've been getting better groups than you first described.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad I read to the end of the responses! I was about to agree with Ron, for the most part, and lecture about sight picture, etc. :embarrassed2:

Glad you got it squared away. My two cents about the 995 in general: I have shot lots of high-powered military and commercial rifles and carbines from 25 to 100 yards. And the first time I shot my 995, I was amazed at how well it can group at 25, 50 and 100 yards. For a pistol-caliber carbine, it is above average, in my opinion. I make ragged holes at 25 and 50 yards and hit paper plate-sized metal targets at 100 yards most of the time.

ENJOY and be safe!

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Here's how I did with my 995, standard sights with WWB 115 gr. This was at 50 yards, good crosswind with a jiggly target.
I shot as quick as I could acquire the target using a bench rest.

Here's another.

This is freestanding.

I would say it is a darn accurate rifle out to 50 yards. I would personally scope it in at 25-50 yards.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was literally shocked how accurate mine was right out of the box just using Iron sights at 25 yards.

I just think it is unreasonable to expect pistol calibers to be 100 yard guns. Under 50, yeah, I'd grab the carbine before I grabbed the rifle. But over 50, or a questionable long distance I can't guesstimate at, I'm gonna go for a larger caliber without hesitation.

But then all my shooting is preparatory for SHTF situations, so I expect to have my entire collection loaded and at hand or within sprint distance of any "event" that takes place.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
Did you account for the height of the scope off the bore axis? The see through rings raise it up at least another 1/2" or so. Not really an issue for close in but farther out, it matters a lot.

Don't own a 995 personally yet, but from experience with other weapons, see through rings are a bad idea. You need to get the scope cross hairs as close to the bore axis as possible. Type scope may also play a large role in it. Did you sight it in using iron sights first? That might tell you if it's the gun or the optic.

If it's the gun HP will fix it, if it's the optic,...
had the same problem with my .22 ....got the lowest rings i could....now i can put all 10 in 4" at 100 yds.....not too shaby for a poodle shooter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts