Accuracy Problem SOLVED!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by wingman, May 21, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I recently purchased a 995 TS, and for several weeks, I have been trying to get past the first step with any new rifle I purchase. My first step is to fire, with the aid of a bench rest, to get the rifle "sighted in". The best I could do was about an 8" group (at 50 yards), keeping most of the impacts on a 12"X12" target. I have tried three different optics, an aluminum top rail, and everything I could think of. Today I figured it out. It was........................the SANDBAG!!! The SANDBAG????? Yep. I was supporting the front end of the rifle with a sandbag under the lower rail, but not under the bare barrel. As soon as I moved the bag to the rear, just in front of the trigger, the groups tightened up to 2" at 50 yards. Maybe everyone on this board knew that supporting the carbine barrel near the end could cause accuracy problems, but I sure didn't! I am now very happy with my 995TS.:D

2. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Its a little thing called "Barrel Harmonics" .... ANY decent target rifle, or any rifle for that matter does a LOT better in accuracy when the barrel does not contact ANYTHING. Free floated barrels shoot better that ones that touch the stock or have barrel bands. All barrels vibrate from .22s on up, even the thick Bull Barrels do. Tuners are used to adjust the Harmonics (vibrations). I know you were not resting the barrel itself on the bag but still you have to find the sweet spot on where to support the front of the rifle. I dont know anythig about the 995, dont think I have even seen one but I would bet the barrel is not free floated ahead of the receiver.

Last edited: May 21, 2015

3. wingman

wingman Member

I have several rifles and have never run into this problem before. I will sure pay attention to "harmonics" from now on. Thanks for the explanation!

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

An 8" group at 50yds using a rest is awful. You should be able to do groups half that size from the shoulder.

5. wingman

wingman Member

I think you missed the point, Talon. Resting the forward part of the barrel on the support caused the inaccurate impacts. When I moved the support back to just in front of the trigger guard, the groups improved to 2", which is good enough for me. Now that I know that the gun is accurate, I will move to unsupported fire.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Don't worry about Talon. He's just perpetually grumpy. He's married with children so what do you expect? :)

I found a pic of Talon.
    [​IMG]

:rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

lmao :d :d :d

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Again with the likes... :p

Attached Files:

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If you're old enough to remember it, Al was an icon and a sort of combination everyman tragic anti-hero. You always rooted for him, but you always knew he was going to fail. Kinda like the Cincinnati Bengals only more likable. ;)

I'm a Dayton Chapter charter member of NO MA'AM and keep looking for Psycho Dad on Netflix.

I knew Talon would get it. :cool:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  10. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    :rofl: (old enough)

...and the "Bungals"
    [​IMG]

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member