Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm gettin a little bummed. i haven,t shot a lot of handguns in my life but i decided to get a 9mm for home defense. i,m really having accuracy problems. i,m at 7 yards and i am all over the place. i believe i have the right grip and stance but maybe just being a rookie i just need more range time. anyway done whining i guess i,ll just keep practicing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't speak specifically about the C-9, but having large group sizes isn't uncommon for a new pistol shooter. Way back to the first time I shot a centerfire pistol I'd say that first group I had was a good seven inches across.
One thing I do as a supplementary form of practice is shoot an airsoft pistol. While it isn't the same, it has the advantage of being something you can do every day, within your home. Range time and ammo all cost money. An airsoft pistol and pellets are cheap. The pellets can be reused too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
for me my biggest issue is trigger control. Get some snap caps and practice dry firering it. I THINK you can dry fire a hi point fine since it's striker fired but don't qoute me on that. I dry fire my SR9 with the mag in though. I found right near the end of the trigger travel I tend to wana move the gun around alittle.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Always wear ear protection (other than saving your hearing, the sound will make you flinch) in training. Get your feet apart about shoulder width. use both hands on the pistol with thumbs laying beside each other and palm heels together. put your sights on the target. squeeze the trigger with the pad of your index finger only, steady pressure, straight rearward. imagine you are a machine with the only part that moves being the muscles that control your trigger finger. Everything else is stationary. Learn and use a good sight picture. aim at a spot on the target, not at the target. Shoot slowy at first and allow speed to come as your skill increases.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Always wear ear protection (other than saving your hearing, the sound will make you flinch) in training. Get your feet apart about shoulder width. use both hands on the pistol with thumbs laying beside each other and palm heels together. put your sights on the target. squeeze the trigger with the pad of your index finger only, steady pressure, straight rearward. imagine you are a machine with the only part that moves being the muscles that control your trigger finger. Everything else is stationary. Learn and use a good sight picture. aim at a spot on the target, not at the target. Shoot slowy at first and allow speed to come as your skill increases.
Oh yeah, and relax your shoulders.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If, after a while you still have a problem and you think it is your pistol, go with a buddy or two to the range and shoot a couple of their handguns just to check what your accuracy is like with different hand guns.
Or, you could go to a shooting range that rents guns, rent a C9 and test your accuracy with another example of the same pistol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts