Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime rifle shooter, new to handguns.

I'm very close to getting a C9. I asked for a .45 but the only Hi-Point handgun my shop could get right now was the 9mm.

Since I would primarily use this pistol for target shooting and wouldn't even be allowed to carry it outside the range, I don't need something very small or light and I don't want a compact or "snub." I know I want something with good, adjustable sights. After trying a bunch of handguns, I think the Hi-Points have great sights.

But I'm wondering if the C9, with its 3.5" barrel might not be as accurate out to 25 yards as a gun with a 4" or 4.5" barrel.

To anyone who has tried several lengths with the same round, is there a big difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would venture to guess that all things being equal that the longer the barrel the more accurate. Same reason those nut cases being shot out of a cannon have loooooooong barrels, :D

If you are strictly target shooting at 75' why not consider a .22? Cheaper ammo and more accurate at long range.

Craig

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
to a point, the accuracy is a function of distance between the sights - longer is better of course. Many will say a 3.5" barrel is only a little less accurate than a 5" barrel when shot off a bench under controlled conditions. When aiming, the longer sites sort of force you to be better.

Good suggestion on the 22lr. If you're buying for practice/target only - 22 is a lot less expensive. And you can get 5" or more 22lr handguns that can be pretty darn accurate.

·
514 Posts
+1 to the idea of a 22lr. I have a Baretta U22 Neos with a 5" barrel that is dang accurate. Also, the U22 will only set you back about $200 including a case and an extra mag.

What I can also tell you is that once you buy one handgun you will buy another and another and...

cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

I know from rifle shooting that a shorter sight radius will always make a weapon harder to shoot, since it exaggerates your errors, even if the weapon on a bench is just as capable as the longer one.

I guess this problem is even more pronounced with a very short pistol barrel.

I'm still on the fence, not about the C9 but about the whole permit process itself! I just can't bring myself to be voluntarily finger-printed. photographed and questioned, like I'm being arrested, just because I would like to have a handgun to take to the range!

I'm not even asking for a carry permit, even though I am a store manager and lock up every week, and this is what I have to go through!

So, all you guys in Free America, feel sorry for your brothers trapped behind the lines in NY, NJ, MASS, CT and CA! :'(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS.

It will cost me at least $210 in fees, just to complete the application process. I was in a gunshop today and he had a few 995s in stock- I was thinking: "I could grab another 995 or 1,000 rounds of 9mm for what it's gonna cost me just to roll the dice on a NY permit!" I may spend the two bills and get nothing for it. Nuts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does all this bureaucracy apply to private sales as well?

Craig

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In NYS, you don't have the legal "right" to purchase, hold or fire a handgun unless you have undergone all that bureaucracy and received a pistol license.

If I already had one, buying a second handgun would require a one-page form sent to the county and a week or two for them to respond that it is OK or not OK for me to purchase another handgun.

This is why I'm hesitating about the whole process; buying long arms, I am subject (good word) to the same modern restriction as all Americans, namely an instant ATF check and I'm on my way when they find that I am a good boy. But when it comes to handguns in my state, I feel like I've committed a crime for just wanting one.

If not for some very close family around here, my wife and I would love to "escape" to a free state! It would save us a bundle in state taxes too!

·
Registered
88 Posts
My god.

Well, one thing I can point out is that a few of these states with more gun control have a higher, more dense population than some of the states with less gun control. I would infer from this fact that the more dense the population of a state is the harder it is for everyone in the state to receive and understand a copy of the constitution and bill of rights of this great country.

Why doesn't the NRA send out a free copy of the above to everyone? Perhaps after becoming educated in their rights people will be less likely to submit to unconstitutional restrictions in the name (but not practice) of safety.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts