Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I write this as a lesson for even the most safe and caustious gun owners .. :yes:Every year I have all my friends out for a shooting bash .. They all bring out all thier guns and we shoot and have a BBQ. The next day while I was cleaning all my guns I got the biggest wake up call in my life .. I just picked up my C9 and did my normal routine of removing the clip and locking the slide back when the slide would not move... So I checked the safty and saw that it was in the half on position .. So not even thinking I moved the safty to off and then BANG .. :eek:pps:The gun went off.. Luckily I had it pointing down in a safe direction as I alway practice, :wideeyed: but then I thought what the hell just happened .. I believe that when someone was firing it they must have somehow jamed the safty shut while pulling the triger andthe firing pin got stuck .. When I released the safty the pin fell and hit the live round in the chamber .. I leared from this to always check the indicator before doing anything .. And yes I had to fix the whole in my floor . ::)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not sure what happened here, but the sear is held up by a spring, which is only compressed by pulling the trigger. Was the slide locked back and
did you already have the slide retainer unpinned? When you lift the slide to remove will also release the firing pin.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I don't have the 9mm but I have the 380 which is the same as the 9mm, I don't see how you could do this. I tried do you the same thing that you just stated with my 380...nothing happened. The only way it could fire is if you had a round in the barrel, the slide was cocked and you pulled the trigger. Other wise, no. The way HP hand guns are made...I don't see how that accidental discharge could happen with out pulling that trigger. I would send that gun back too HP, telling them about what happened.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realy don't know the root cause of it .. I was trying to rack the gun to verify that it was empty and to lock it back to clean it .As I said eirlier I could not rack the gun due to the safty being half way between on and fire. When the safty was released ( which was kind of stuck )it went off .Thinking about it the slide was slid back about 1/8th to 1/4in before sliding the safty .. I did not have my finger anywhere near the trigger durring this .. I have tried several time to duplicate it and have had no luck in doing so .. I have put at least 2000 round thru the gun in the past year with no other issue . As well as a tear down clean and lube ..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got 3 bucks on "He pulled the trigger."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a guess, but this could have been a sort of "slam" fire. Some defect or object embedded in the breach face could have hit the primer when the slide was released. Or the firing pin could have been stuck and released after it was josteld just right.

I am thinking this could also have been a misfire/hang fire initally and was never cleared on the range. Then when "something" happened the volitile round was set off.

I have heard other stories like this from other manufacturers. Hearing these stories is why I try to handle my guns as little as possible in the house. I never cycle a weapon vigorously with live ammo for fear that I would be the unlucky "one in a million" lol.

I live in MD where you cannot transport a loaded handgun. When home, I leave the pistols with one in the pipe and safety on. So every time I come home from the range, I am VERY cautious in loading that one in the pipe.

BTW, safety lever issues are everywhere. I read that on some Taurus pistols, if the trigger was not absolutely all the way forward when the safety was engaged, you could still pull the trigger and fire the pistol. I tried it with mine (no live cartridge at the range) and got the dreaded "click!". Now I know to check the trigger before engaging the safety.

I guess these things are why we should never trust a safety and follow the other rules, huh? lol.

Splitter

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had a scary one with my muzzleloader. I had a misfire, laid the gun down with the muzzle downrange, and then the gun went off. Scared the $#** out of me.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I read a quote somewhere--once--that sticks out in my head 'til this day:

"The loudest firearm is the one you never thought was loaded."

I may have botched it slightly, but you get the jist.

Glad you're alright, man...it really is a wakeup call when things like this happen. I work on cars all the time with all type of tools. The day a side-grinder got away from me and slammed into my glove-covered wrist like a 5lb sledge hammer, it seriously woke me up. You get comfortable with thinigs like this and it sucks when they turn around and bite you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts