Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Powered by air
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if anyone had an acquiponics project they would like to share.

For long term survival, or even off-grid living, something like that would seem pretty important. From what I understand, with a greenhouse, some solar cells, and some electronics smarts, you can make enough food for two to four people in a very small footprint - year around.

Anyone considered something like this? Anyone doing something like this?

If anyone is interested, I'd be willing to offer some expertise if they are willing to report on experimentation and results.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Hey that is mine. Yeah, I am kind of on hold right now. Had to remodell the entire outside of the house, so money got tight. Should be back to getting it up and running in the next couple months. Any questions I would be glad to answer, harvested some stuff a couple days ago, and planted a bunch more. It is going to be run off solar, and wind, with back up grid power.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Ha, small world. Me and the wife are remodeling 2 houses, so I see where you're coming from.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts

·
Powered by air
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap, I got a much bigger system than that and I won't be anywhere near that cost.
Ya, a system can be done on the cheap if one is willing to to DIY it. That especially includes the electronics.

·
Powered by air
926 Posts
Thought I would share
with you so you can see that you don't need large and expensive stuff to do an acquiponics project. It can be done very affordably if you're willing to DIY.

Helomech, would you be willing to talk some more about your system since you already have one in place?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Helomech, would you be willing to talk some more about your system since you already have one in place?
Is that your system?

Sure fire away, mine is not complete, but it is up and running. I still have a lot to learn, but more than willing to share what I know. I am trying to stay away from electronics in my system. I am hoping to only have 3 water pumps, or 2 air compressors. Starting to think I may try a airlift system using air compressors instead of using water pumps. That way I can do everything with only 2 12 volt air compressors.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Thought I would share this video with you so you can see that you don't need large and expensive stuff to do an acquiponics project. It can be done very affordably if you're willing to DIY.

I like that Arduino control system.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I like that Arduino control system.
I would love to get something like that to monitor my system, but I don't want any vital components controlled by any electronics. I am looking for something to monitor the water, PH, Temp, Nitrites, Nitrates, and oxygen. But have no idea where to get something like that.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Last week I harvested some plants from my system and replanted. I left the peas, becaue they are not ready to harvest.

The peas

And here is a eggplant sprout, I put the seeds in last Monday.

·
Powered by air
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No, the arduino system isn't mine. I showed it because that's a surprisingly low cost solution, capable of some fairly complex sensing and automation. It is in the general direction of what I'd like to do sometime down the road. Considering you can get started with an arduino for roughly $15-$20 and an AVR (the type of microcontroller [uC] used on an arduino) for $1.50 - $7.00 (plus an ISP programmer for $4 - and you only need one), its hard to ignore.

In part, learning more about aquaponics is why I posted. I was hoping to figure out what has and hasn't been done, why, get some good ideas, and hopefully expose some to the notion who may have never heard of it before.

All of the systems I've seen use pumps and gravity. While I do know some use air, I don't know anything about this type of system. Would you care to provide a little information as to why you prefer an air system over pumps, how that works, and perhaps some implementation details?

As for sensors, some of them are fairly cheap. Some not so much. Something like a humidity and temp sensor can be had for a couple of bucks. In fact, I'm looking at one right now (DHT11). If you tie that to something like an AVR chip (have five, looking at an atmega8-16pu now) or a full blown arduino (looking at two), you can use it control your greenhouse; including opening and closing vents and turning fans off and on. Its this type of automation I was hoping I could help in exchange for simply documenting and sharing your result.

But have no idea where to get something like that.
I might be able to help.

BTW, thanks for sharing the pics. More pics and details on anything you guys have been doing in this direction would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
No, the arduino system isn't mine. I showed it because that's a surprisingly low cost solution, capable of some fairly complex sensing and automation. It is in the general direction of what I'd like to do sometime down the road. Considering you can get started with an arduino for roughly $15-$20 and an AVR (the type of microcontroller [uC] used on an arduino) for $1.50 - $7.00 (plus an ISP programmer for $4 - and you only need one), its hard to ignore.
I know nothing about computers. But I would like to monitor water temp, Nitrites, Nitrates, Amonnia (spelling), and PH for sure. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I won't have any automted vents are anything, like I said just pumps or a compressor run of batteries with solar power.

In part, learning more about aquaponics is why I posted. I was hoping to figure out what has and hasn't been done, why, get some good ideas, and hopefully expose some to the notion who may have never heard of it before.
Would be more than happy to anwer any question you have.

All of the systems I've seen use pumps and gravity. While I do know some use air, I don't know anything about this type of system. Would you care to provide a little information as to why you prefer an air system over pumps, how that works, and perhaps some implementation details?
I am just trying to power my system with the least amount of power I can. Solar is expensive, and the less I have to buy the better. I THINK I can power it with less power using 2 small aircompressors than using 2 or 3 pumps. Besides I would still need a aircompressor to provide more aeration even if I go with pumps. Air lift is very simple, just pump some air in a tube and the air makes the water rise to the top. It is used for deep water wells around here. No moving parts except the piston and motor in the pump. And since water does not go through the compressor it stays cleaner, nothing below water to clean.

As for sensors, some of them are fairly cheap. Some not so much. Something like a humidity and temp sensor can be had for a couple of bucks. In fact, I'm looking at one right now (DHT11). If you tie that to something like an AVR chip (have five, looking at an atmega8-16pu now) or a full blown arduino (looking at two), you can use it control your greenhouse; including opening and closing vents and turning fans off and on. Its this type of automation I was hoping I could help in exchange for simply documenting and sharing your result.

I might be able to help.

BTW, thanks for sharing the pics. More pics and details on anything you guys have been doing in this direction would be awesome.
Not worried about controlling the green house, but humidity would be nice along with the things I mentioned above, water temp, Nitrites, Nitrates, Amonnia (spelling), and PH.

Your welcome. As soon as I finish my house which should be fairly soon, then I will get back on my system. Won't be much new other than cinder blocks for a while though. I will do some experimenting with my airlift this week when I get back in from offshore. I can post updates on that.

·