AD's, happens to the best of us....I guess

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SWAGA, Jan 5, 2015.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

2. That was an ND there are no AD's. Need a bit more information, like why was the pistol on the bed while she was sleeping? Was the pistol still holstered?

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Keeping a loaded, round chambered and cocked handgun in your bed with the safety off? That is just crazy! :eek:

Rule #2: Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to destroy.

Very unfortunate, but certainly unavoidable. :(

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The Glock was in the bed with them and he moved it, maybe in his sleep.
    There have been more accidental shootings with a Glock where the trigger was accidentally manipulated.

Besides Chief he's also been a firearms instructor for years.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Is it really that hard to put it on the night stand?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I built a bedside holster to prevent just such an occasion. I sleep on left side of the bed so i picked up a left handed serpa holster on the cheap and cut the paddle so that i could bolt it to a piece of flat steel bent at a 90 degree angle Slide the flat plate between the mattress and box spring. The holster hangs vertically and is covered when the bed is made. it keeps my gun off my nightstand and puts the added security of the serpa retention system in between my glock and anyones negligence.

Instead of steel my friend revised my plan and made the same thing with acrylic that he bent with a heat gun. i like his better.

7. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I have a cheap nylon holster for my c9 that I swapped to left hand and it hangs on the night stand drawer front.

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    A holster truly is the key to keeping a pistol safely ready. Keeping it loose is asking for misfortune. Nocturnal movements or drowsy slow-wittedness both spell disaster around loaded weapons that don't have their trigger guards covered.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of AD. If you ever saw the video of the deputy shoot himself in the leg. One of the guys I'm in training with worked with him. Thought that was interesting.

10. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    I agree this isn't an AD. It's ultimately the result of improper handling and counts as ND.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, it IS a Glock...you know, the gun with no safety other than the Safe Action Trigger?

Which isn't, apparently, that safe.:cool:

12. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Sorry, no offense poster, but this is one of by biggest pet peeves.

Unless you are saying that in every ND there is intent to shoot, then it's wrong to say there are no ADs. I agree that at least MOST are NDs. But that doesn't mean they aren't accidents.

Accidents of all types happen all the time, and most, if not all, happen because of negligence, but that doesn't make them not accidents.

13. This always drove me nuts.

IF you put the safe on the trigger its basically only a drop safe. Every rifle has a safety, because sometimes you bump the trigger, you snag the gun, you drop it on a rock. The safety is for when you ACCIDENTALLY pull the trigger. And if that happens the glock isn't very safe.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

There are several variations of this argument. In general, I agree. However, I have found my personal opinion to be somewhat nuanced as to what constitutes an AD and what an ND with lots of crossover between the two. As a personal decision, I've started referring to them all as an "Unintended Discharge," a "UD." :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Like a revolver?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Most revolvers do not have light switch triggers...

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The point stands that lacking a safety switch doesn't make the revolver any more inherently unsafe.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. I disagree, a 10lb trigger, to a 4lb trigger?

Apples to oranges.

would you load a revolver, pull the hammer back and feel safe? go ahead re holster it.

19. yetavon

yetavon Member

As a Medic, I always ask family if a compromised person keeps a weapon around. I have had patients start coming around only to discover strangers in their bedroom, and went for their weapon.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Trigger weight is not a safety switch.

You're agreeing with me.

It's not the safety switch alone that makes the difference. Trigger weight, in this case, and, in other cases, any number of other factors all coalesce.

It's not just the safety switch so when smart people write things like, "The safety is for when you ACCIDENTALLY pull the trigger," I know that they've gotten tunnel vision or are unjustifiably over-simplifying.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk