Advce from the internet/tech savvy crowd

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Jan 17, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Ok internet savvy folks. Looking to upgrade our intreweb speed. Did this on a laptop connected to wifi while 2 smart bluray players were streaming Linnet...which is a common occurrence for us. We have the standard internet service from Time Warner.

[​IMG]

We have a Medial Link router - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3YN0Z0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router (300 Mbps)-2.4GHz-802.11b/g/n
    Thinking about upgrading our intenet. We can go Turbo for $10 more
    Download speeds up to 20Mbps and upload speeds up to 2Mbps

Or

Extreme for $20 more
    Download speeds up to 30Mbps and upload speeds up to 5Mbps

Not too worried about the price difference. I want speed that will meet out needs. But I want to make sure that we aren't paying for more than our router can handle.

In a few weeks, we will also have a second latptop. We have 2 Kindle Fires, 2 smartphones, and who knows what else. Oh, and we let our nextdoor neighbor use our wifi for small monthly fee.

Thoughts, input, suggestions appreciated

2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are all your systems using WiFi or are you also using ethernet connects?
    If all you have is the WiFi, you'll be wasting money upgrading your service. WiFi is a maximum combined aggregate total bandwidth and not individual like you would get in a switched port environment. Your bottle neck is the WiFi not the Internet connection. Connect your laptop directly to the TWC router and run your speed test..... it will confirm what I am saying. ;)

3. tallbump

The only thing using Ethernet is one of the Bluray players.

So, since it really isn't practical/possible to put anything else on ethernet, is there any way to boost the wifi?

A better router?

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you can segment your traffic it will help. There are WiFi boosters, but I have never used them. I use Cisco WiFi controllers and can adjust the power higher or lower depending on needs. Home WiFi can be a bear since signals can be reflected, absorbed, and/or bounced all over the place with walls etc. Any time you can hard wire you are better off. If you have a 1 story home, you may be able to pull an Ethernet run to the attic and make drops to the rooms from there.

5. tallbump

I just discovered powerline adapter kits. I think I am going to try this.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=lp_1194444_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1421547770&sr=1-1

The TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit uses your home's existing electrical wires to create or expand your home network. Without additional wiring, you can simply plug the TL-PA4010KIT into existing power outlets and instantly establish a networking infrastructure. With high-speed data transfer rate of up to 500Mbps, you can enjoy HD video streaming, online gaming, VoIP, and any other bandwidth intensive tasks. Plus, its miniature design gives you the flexibility to place it anywhere in your home.

Up to 500Mbps, 1000 Feet

With advanced HomePlug AV technology, TL-PA4010KIT provide users with stable, high-speed data transfer rate of up to 500Mbps on a line of up to 1000 feet long. You can use up to 8 adapters to create an entire home solution that connects all network enabled devices - from computers and game consoles to printers, NAS hard drives, and set-top boxes for IPTVs.

TL-PA4010KIT is truly plug and play. It doesn't need configuration in a web interface to operate. All users have to do is plug the kit into power outlets and physically connect them to your router and other devices.

1. Plug the TL-PA4010KIT into the power outlet
    2. Connect the TL-PA4010KIT via network cables to your router and other devices
    3. You're done!

You can add additional ones to it, up to 8. The starter kit comes with 2 for $38. With Amazon's awesome customer service, can't go wrong trying it

Oh, I also forgot to mention we also have a wireless printer. That and the second Bluray player are at teh opposite end of the house from the router.

I am going to put one of these units on the other Bluray player, which is the where we notice the slowness the most.