Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Advice, carry gun 9MM SA or .38 revolver +p ?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Silicon Wolverine 
#1 ·
Limited budget yet again. Dang economy anyway. I can pick up a .38 that will accept +P and 5 shots with a 3" barrel for under $100.00. Local stores actually have 125Gr target ammo for it. Sporting goods store has +P JHP's for it. Compact enough for easy concealment.

Would prefer a .357 but can't find one in a stubby and probably couldn't afford it anyway.

The .38 is looking pretty good to me but I am not familiar with the ballistics on the .38

Anyone familiar with it. Shot a .38? Trust your life on it?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. I have two loaded guns in the house condition 1. (no kids)

My baby .357 with 6 1/2" barrel 125 Gr JHPs. and my Taurus PT99 Remington Golden Spears 124Gr +p JHP's. (Replaced my C9. Long story for another time. Actually, story not done yet.)

And trying to also not have to big a spread in ammunition. I can shoot the 38's out of the .357 so leaning heavily toward that. I think based on all your comments, I can't go wrong getting the .38 as a concealed carry gun.
Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Carry them both. In my CC class the instructor said something that has stuck with me. He said, "Two is one and one is none." Basically, if you carry one gun and it fails, then you are SOL. But if you carry 2 guns and one fails, then you have a backup.
Carrying those two guns I would need suspenders to hold my pants up AND wouldn't be very concealed. one is a 5" barrel, the other 6 1/2"
I could carry the 6 1/2" at 12 o'clock, think anyone would notice? LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.