Advice needed for .40 for carry.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by bluharley, Jan 21, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

I was comparing bullets last night, .380 vs .40....sheesh. So I've wanted a Kahr CM40 for a long time. But the Taurus PT740 Slim looks good too. I pocket carry, so what's your opinions for a .40 to pocket carry. Size and weight being a big issue. I haven't seen a Kahr anywhere I've been locally to check it out, and I just started looking at the Slim. But there might be better options. One nice thing about the Taurus is the $100 cheaper part.

2. Grant

Grant Member

Both are pretty big for pocket carry, but can be done with the right pants, pockets, holster combo. In my opinion both would be better IWB.

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

Yea, I'm not going to find one small and light enough for the pocket. I have problems with IWB because I'm fat! I can carry on my back, but even my BG prints loud. I'm wondering about those Sticky Holsters, maybe that would work.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I kind of agree with Grant. I think even my PF-9 is a bit big for true pocket carry, which is how I DO carry my P3AT.

In cargo pockets, a coat pocket, an ankle holster, sure, but in my jeans....not so much.

But IWB, the small single stacks are REALLY easy to carry, & it doesn't take some crazy holster either. The newest generation of minimal Kydex with a hook work really well.

5. TopGas

TopGas Member

The Taurus PT740 is definitely too big for pocket carry if you're expecting full concealment. As stated above the Taurus Slim series is just that and lends itself nicely to IWB carry in your favorite holster. I've used an Uncle Mike's IWB as well as a VersaCarry with my PT740 and I'm satisfied with both. I'm intrigued by the "newest generation of minimal Kydex with a hook" holsters that I've seen lately. Several DIY vids on YouTube. May give it a shot.

Note to Ajole, congrats on your new PF-9 (saw your comment in another post). I'm surprised that it's taken you so long to get one! I've had mine for several years now. (Hope this doesn't derail the thread:rolleyes:)
    TG

6. Grant

Grant Member

For comfortable IWB try AlienGear, 1 of our sponsors. Their holsters are comfortable. Wear a t shirt between you and the holster if it pinches...I'm not small either.

7. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'm in Florida, t-shirt and shorts is pretty much it year round, not enought shirts for one in and one out! My bodyguard is probably as big as I can go in the pocket.

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    IMO a "pocket gun" should be barely larger than my palm ;) Not sure if a P3AT could do that.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I don't know who this pic is...but there ya go.

[​IMG]

P3AT is 8.3 oz empty. PT 740 is 18 oz, XD-SC is 26 oz. PF-9 is 12.7
    P3AT is 11.1 oz (310 g) w/loaded magazine, PF-9 is 15.5 oz.
    Length 5.2 in (130 mm) PT 740 is 6.2 My XD -SC is 6.25. PF-9 is 5.85
    Barrel length 2.75 in (70 mm). PT740 is 3.2. XD-SC 3.0. PF-9 is 3.1
    Width 0.77 in (20 mm). Pt740 is .95 XD -SC 1.2. PF-9 is .88
    Height 3.5 in (89 mm). PT740 is 4.5. XD-SC4.75. PF-9 is 4.3

The extra inch Length and height is a big deal for a pocket, not so bad for an IWB. That quarter inch more width in my XD gives me 3 more bullets, but the gun is 1/2 pound heavier...that's a lot for 3 rounds, but may make follow ups easier?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

P11 iwb with s&w 5900 mag as back up.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Now That Would Be Great... plus it's a KT :D

12. TopGas

TopGas Member

Thread has morph'd a bit but still kinda on topic.
    Taurus PT740 is still too big for pocket carry! The palm of hand requirement isn't met:
    [​IMG]
    I know many like and swear by the KelTec P3AT but I think that the Taurus TCP (PT738) has serious "contender" potential AND definitely meets the "palm of hand" requirement.
    [​IMG]
    (and my hands are by no means large!)
    The Taurus PT740 is a great IWB CC gun just not a pocket carry gun. If shorts and a t-shirt is your "out and about ensemble" a PT740 my not be your best choice. As we've discussed here, a TCP (my choice) or a KelTec P3AT (the choice of others) is the way to go. I have both the PT740 and the TCP and like them a lot:).
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty much personal choice tho.
    TG

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

P11 Keltec or a SCCY can be pocket carried. Cargo pants Top pocket on your shootin hand side. I have been known to pocket carry a G27 or G23. You might want to try a S&W Sheild9. Daltech makes a belly band. I have one. https://www.daltechforce.com/belly-band-holsters/ Other companies make one that is a mesh.

Either that just open carry everywhere you go and keep one of these on the other side of your belt. Tell the cops you are going to and from fishing per Florida law! http://www.walmart.com/ip/As-Seen-on-TV-Ronco-Pocket-Fisherman/10727613

14. bluharley

bluharley Member

Well, yea this thread has wandered a bit. I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 that I pocket carry. I want a .40 in my pocket, thus the tread title. But I think even if I found a .40 that worked in the pocket, I probably wouldn't want to shoot it, it might be a wee bit snappy:eek:

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    In my pockets, the P11 is not a pocket carry gun.

Never tried a SCCY at all, but it's the same size as the P11, but shorter like the Glocks.

The 26 and 27 are way too long for pocket, though the height is better than nearly any other gun, as long as you are OK with barely two fingers on the grip. My XD is shorter in length, same width, but taller at the grip.

A 23, really?:confused:
    That's nearly too big for a cargo pocket.

16. bluharley

bluharley Member

I see a Kahr in my future.

My BG,
    Specifications and Features:
    .380 ACP caliber
    Double action only semi automatic
    2.75" barrel
    6 rounds capacity
    Polymer frame
    Crimson Trace red laser sight
    Drift adjustable front and rear sights
    Overall length 5.25"
    Weight 12.3 oz
    Matte black

Kahr CM40
    Specifications and features:
    .40 S&W Caliber
    5 Round capacity
    Double action only
    Lock breech Browning type recoil
    Passive striker block
    3.0" conventional rifled barrel
    1:16" right hand twist
    5.47" Overall
    4.0" Tall
    .94" Slide width
    15.8 oz (magazine 1.9 oz)
    Textured polymer grip
    Drift adjustable white bar dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
    Matte stainless steel slide

It's a hair bigger all the way around, but not much. I think it would work.

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That doesn't sound too bad.

It's smaller in some dimensions that my PF-9

I guess as long as you stay with loose fitting cargo type shorts with large pockets, it will work.:)

18. bluharley

bluharley Member

That's what I wear. I think it will do just fine.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The Wranglers seem to have the best pockets. I wore Basic Editions cargo pants today to the range. I pocket carried a 2213 S&W in a BlackHawk #3 pocket holster. My 27 I use a #4. The butt hangs out of these pants. Including 2213, and it's small. The #3 fits the SCCY too. I don't pocket carry the Glocks in these pants.

Just compared the grip area between the 23 and the 27. it is pretty much the same when I use the Pearce +2 extension. I was watching a video with a guy using his middle finger for the trigger on a small gun the other day.

I can curl my finger or fingers under the 27. I just had to modify/practice my grip.

Here is a brand new G2 Kahr video from Shot Show [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLLJGVTO32I&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

20. bluharley

bluharley Member

Way too big! that doesn't look like a CM40.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015