Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 995 with laser and compensator up on a local classified to see what sort of bites i could get. I got an e-mail today from a guy who is wanting to trade me straight up for his SKS...he told me he doesnt know much of anything about the gun other than he bought it new and has only put about 100 rds through it.

I will be honest i dont know much about the SKS either, only that it comes from a few different countries and this can affect the value.

My question is would it be a good trade? the 995 for the SKS? I will try and get the picture that he sent me up here ASAP.
Also any info on the SKS would be appreciated being that i know very little and have not fired one ever!

G

·
that looks like a nice clean chinese sks. i cant tell from the photo if the barrel is pinned in or threaded in .and the trigger assy.if it is stamped out or machined .my opinion would be if the barrel is pinned in and the triggers are stamped out i would definitely say no.but, why would you want to trade an american made,no questions ask warranty,cheaper to shoot,firearm for a sks.but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have both the 995 and a Norinco SKS, and I like them both a lot, but I have to go with SW on this one. If it were a Russian or Yugo in good shape, I'd say go for it, but not for the Chicom.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are prob right....what was i thinking?!?! I will just keep the 995 and enjoy the luxuries of an amazing AMERICAN gun.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
That is a great deal, if you can find 995 for under $200, make the trade. The SKS in that condition would likely get $300 + on GB right now.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
that looks like a nice clean chinese sks. i cant tell from the photo if the barrel is pinned in or threaded in .and the trigger assy.if it is stamped out or machined .my opinion would be if the barrel is pinned in and the triggers are stamped out i would definitely say no.but, why would you want to trade an american made,no questions ask warranty,cheaper to shoot,firearm for a sks.but thats just my opinion
Why?

I have a few couple SKS's, and one has a pinned barrel. It doesn't make the rifle any more or less reliable. If someone wanted to trade me a 300+ dollar gun for a still in production, dime a dozen rifle, I would jump all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my hi-point, but my SKS's are better rifles.

As for the American made thing, unfortunately that doesn't mean much today. It generally points to equates to overpriced, and built with materials bought from the lowest bidder. It's sad really.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Are chinese SKS going for $300 now? I only gave $180 for mine, and that was not eight months ago. I know that the Eastern Bloc guns are harder to find now, and thus more expensive, but I thought you could still get chicoms for under 2 bills. Thus my recommendation not to trade a $180 gun for a $275 H-P (what mine cost with laser & 2 extra mags).

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
If you can find a 995 for under 200 and have the money to replace it if you want to, make the trade. Yes they are going for 300 and up! So if you let loose of the 995 and hold the sks for a couple more months, you might get even more for it.
I just depends on how much you like your 995, but you could come out ahead money-wise in a pretty short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you can find a 995 for under 200 and have the money to replace it if you want to, make the trade. Yes they are going for 300 and up! So if you let loose of the 995 and hold the sks for a couple more months, you might get even more for it.
I just depends on how much you like your 995, but you could come out ahead money-wise in a pretty short amount of time.
Well, my IRA may be in the tank, but at least my gun collection is increasing in value!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well, my IRA may be in the tank, but at least my gun collection is increasing in value!
Truth

My gun safe is my new 401k

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the info...

i talked to some local guys who sell guns and they all said its worth the trade so i think i will do it....I bought the 995 for $175 and i am sure i will make a profit on the SKS if i can sell it for anything over $250.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
In the Phoenix Sprawl, SKS rifles are going for about $300 to $1600 depending on who's pushing them and who's dumb enough to buy them. Hell, my "neighbour" (and I use the term loosely. He lives in my building but I try not to socialize with him) was bragging about his "Choppa": A Romanian SKS with a bad tacti-cool bodge job ATI stock and tin 30 rounder fixed that he bought for....$900!!! :wideeyed2: He insisted he got a "killer" deal on it, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that his gun was probably bought in the US for less than $200 after a UN arms redistribution after the Bosnian/Serbian civil war. Hell, I don't even think he KNOWS where Serbia is!! :cantlook:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I grew up shooting an SKS that was my father's gun, don't remember what it was, but I liked shooting it a lot. He eventually sold it though. But to make a profit I would agree with trading the 995 for the SKS. I've been thinking about an SKS again too, I miss that gun. But yeah here at the gun shows the prices on some SKS have been outrageous. I think my dad bought his for less than $120? But that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Norinco SKS's are awsome weapons I wish I woulda had the money to buy a couple more when I bought mine for $120.00 back in the day. But they are going for $300-$400 easey right now, 995's are going for around $250.00 so you would be coming out ahead on value and in my opinion you would be getting a better weapon.

I have a WASR-10, Mini-14, SKS, Sub2000 and 995.
of those the SKS has proven the most accurate and dependable.
My 2 cents YMMV

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you've never had an SKS you don't know what you're missing. You should have at least one. They are among the most reliable rifles ever designed, they have almost no felt recoil, are generally more accurate than AKs of similar overall length, fire the hands down best intermediate rifle round ever designed, and as you can see they're handsome to boot.

995s are fun to shoot, but you're talking two completely different classes of weapon here. The SKS is head and shoulders the superior firearm. Vietcong would tie ropes around them and anchor them to something, then sink the guns in rice paddies because they knew all they had to do was come along, bring the gun up, empty the water from the gas tube, and they'd be ready to rock and roll.

Make the trade, you won't be sorry. You can get another 995 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys...I am all for the trade now but it seems the other guy is trying to back out. I am hoping it will all work out, but if not i always have a 995! With a Laser!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts