Advice Request

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by wingman, Dec 22, 2014.

1. wingman

wingman Member

I am considering my first Hi Point purchase. I am going to start with a carbine. It will be either the 9 mm or the 45. I have fired other weapons of both calibers and I really don't have a preference toward either caliber. Sooner or later, I will buy a Hi Point pistol in the same caliber. The weapons will be used for shooting contests with my son, target practice, and be around the house "just in case". I started out favoring the 9 mm, but here are a couple of things that are pushing me toward the 45.

1. The magazines of the 45 carbine and pistol are interchangeable.
    2. There seem to be more problems with the 9 mm pistol than the 45.
    (Just from reading the board over the past couple of months)
    3. The new Federal aluminum ammo has greatly reduced the price difference
    between 9 mm and 45.

I would appreciate any comments to help me make a decision, especially, if any of the above statements are incorrect. I know that one answer is to buy one of everything, but I am trying hard to avoid that solution. Thanks for any input.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That pretty much covers it. You've already made up your mind haven't you?

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

get the 4595 you will love it

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Get the .45 :D
    From a fellow .45 JHP owner...

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The 995 magazines also fit in the C9, though not the reverse. While it's not the same interchangability as the 4595 and the JHP, it's worth something.

This is generally true. Most, however, seem to have no problems now. Probably linked to the new follower design.

Pretty true, but can you count on the availability of one manufacturer's specialty line? You're pretty much counting on Aluminum Cased ammo from Federal, one product from one manufacturer, to put ammo prices on a par with pretty much every brass cased (reloadable) FMJ range fodder from every manufacturer. Doesn't sound like a good bet to me.

Sounds like you really want the .45ACP. Get that and don't worry about the other stuff you're using to try to justify the decision. Get the one that makes you happy. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Get a $200 short barreled shotgun for home defense from WalMart. I like my.45, and my 4095. I really wanted a 4595 but they were out. I got a smkin deal on the .40.

I have no desire for the C9.

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I bought the 995 1st & now I have them all!
    If I were to do it over, I would buy the 4095 & 40 JCP 1st. I have had the least amount of trouble with the 40 caliber. Not that I had excessive trouble with any of them, but you mentioned forum post about the 9mm appearing to be troublesome?
    The ammo is plentiful & consistently priced. The 40 S&W has considerable knockdown power, & the mags interchange the same as the 45's.

Attached Files:

8. Juniper70

Juniper70 Member

I like the 4595 and I like the use of the same ammo in my 1911s and my Bowen Ruger. Never had anything smaller than a .45ACP that I didn't trade off.

9. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your wisdom.

10. TopGas

TopGas Member

OK, this post is a couple of weeks old so the OP has prolly already made his decision and may actually have made his purchase.
    He asked for opinions so that's what he gets.:D

Based on the stated purposes; "weapons will be used for shooting contests with my son, target practice, and be around the house "just in case"", I'd recommend the 995 and the C-9 combo.

1)Shooting contests and target practice just don't require .45ACP!

2)Mag interchangeability is a bonus not a requirement (and most of the time not an issue).

3)C-9 reliability may be an issue but is most times easily remedied. Plus, the JHP-45 is beastly large:eek:! Son's age wasn't mentioned but unless he's a pretty good sized lad, he might have some issues handling the pistol.

4)9mm ammo IS definitely less expensive! Brass cased 9mm is still cheaper than aluminum .45ACP. Aluminum and steel cased 9mm is generally less than anything other than .22 (if you can find it).

5)9mm in either a pistol or carbine/rifle is certainly adequate for home defense.

Bottom line: if you want a combo in .45ACP get it! If the other considerations that you mentioned have merit, get the combo in 9mm.

All of that being said, I have a C-9 and a 4095TS. While I had initially considered the 995, I chose the 4095TS for the more powerful round. In retrospect, I should have bought the 995 (and may still some day:)).

I'm sure that's there's nothing wrong with the JHP.45/4595 combo, it just seems to exceed the stated needs. Just sayin'.
    TG

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

If you are in a state where you can get a carry permit? Size matters!

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    One other little tidbit to consider is the article on the homepage about the Hi Point .45 being used to kill a bear in self-defense. While I prefer the .45 to the 9mm, that article, in and of itself, certainly provides a bit of anecdotal evidence to support your original choice.