Advise for lefty

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Killjoy, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Killjoy

Killjoy Member

I'm about to purchase a 995 and it occurred to me I haven't talked to anyone that's a lefty. Before I make a commitment I'd like to hear from a left handed shooter that owns a HP carbine. I know all left handed shooters have learned to "adjust" to a right handed world but some weapons are almost impossible for a lefty. I'd like to hear from someone with some hands on experience. Thanks in advance.

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I don't own a 995 carbine, but as a lefty, I can give you some overall advise.

Have you shot one yet? If not, throw the carbine up to your shoulder and look were the ejection port is relative to your face. Some firearms will eject the brass right into your face if you use it left-handed. Even if the brass doesn't come back into your face, it may be a distraction as the brass crosses your field of view when using open sights.

That said, it may work out just fine for you, but study this carefully and shoot one first. I have passed on ownership of several firearms due to this factor.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Do they make a cartridge deflector for the carbine yet? I have one on my M&P 1522 and it works great even though i'm a righty. That would solve the distraction/hot brass in the eye issue. You could probably even make one on the cheap. I'm not a lefty, but just an idea.

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

When I shoot an H&K I have to use a deflector. Otherwise, the brass smacks me right between the eyes. Hard to get a follow up shot off with that happening.

You might be able to re-work the extractor to get a better "throw" but I'm not sure with the 995.

5. I'm a lefty an have NO problems with my 4095TS ejecting shells in my face or powder getting in my face.....It spit's the brass pretty much straight out the side instead of at a steep angle out and back. I like the fact that the bolt is on the left, I'd probably find that uncomfortable if I were a right handed shooter and swap the bolt over to the other side.

Can relate to having to adapt to a right handed world in firearms... I am blind (since age 4) in my right eye, so it's natural for me to do most things right handed, except shoot firearms.. then I am a lefty. It took me a while to learn to be able to work a bolt action rifle with any speed ,my deer hunting rifle I opted for a Model 94 Winchester lever action.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Whatever happened to the good ole' days when nuns used rulers to beat some normalcy into you weirdos before it was too late?

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1437613886.068129.jpg ................

8. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    I am a lefty. When I had a 995ts, about one round out of fifty would eject into my right check or right ear. The rest would eject straight out and were not a problem. That is one of the main reasons why I got rid of it. But a friend of mine also has one, that I have shot without issue. So, maybe it was a flaw with my gun?

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Bull he does have a valid point. Lefty's are the devils spawn. Just saying ;-)

10. Killjoy

Killjoy Member

Normalcy

The nuns had 12 years to beat some normalcy into me but I proved to be too stubborn.

How is the safety to operate? Is it easily accessible?

11. I learned to operate the gun pretty effectively with my left hand, the mag release can be a bit tricky but is doable. I operate the safety with my left thumb by holding onto the grip with 3 fingers and index finger laid alongside the weapon. I've large hands so reaching the safety is not a problem, dropping the mag I hold it in a similar manner but pull my index finger away from the gun and tuck my thumb in and forward, it hits the mag release... or I can shift my grip a smidge and pop the release with the joint closest to my hand with my left index finger.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  12. moona11

It has a safety? Never used it. I'm recluses and a taco sadly

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's going to haunt you isn't it?

14. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1437615789.730113.jpg ..................

15. moona11

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

All I gathered from this is he likes spiders on his salad from taco bell.

17. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I am a lefty, and I love the carbine's!

Get one and go shoot it!! You're gonna love it as well!

Fun fun fun!!

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

The 995 tosses the shells a pretty good distance. Im normal, so have never shot it left handed but i really dont think it should be a problem. There is a brass catcher available for it that might help you.

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

We took their rulers away and wacked them back:)

Besides, we're all born right handed, but some of us achieve greatness.

20. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

I'm a lefty but thanks to USMC boot camp I learned to shoot right handed

Let's just say the US Government forced me to shoot right handed