Aim Point Eye Relief Question

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by wingman, Jan 8, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Member

Received my new 995 carbine and Aim Point 4X scope today. The scope is supposed to have 3" of eye relief. I only have about 1" of eye relief. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? It is not a big deal, I just want to make sure I am not overlooking something before I try another optic. You have to start somewhere. Thanks!

I will report on the carbine as soon as the weather allows a range trip.:D

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    With red dots, you want to have as much eye relief as your mounting system will allow. Because they aren't magnified, you can--and should--push the optic out so as to free up as much vision around the optical device as possible. If you do, you will be able to keep both eyes open and scan as much area as possible, while still being able to see the red dot.

3. wingman

wingman Member

Thanks, think,

A Red Dot may be my next optic, but I am trying to find out if I am doing something wrong with the Aim Point scope from Hi Point. The Aim Point scope is supposed to have a 3" eye relief, but I only have a 1" eye relief, and I am wondering if that is normal, or if I am doing something wrong.

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Sorry about that. When I read "Aim Point" I was thinking of the M-68 or something similar. I have no experience with the device that Hi Point supplies. Nevertheless, what happens to the image that you see when you move the scope away as you look at the dot? Does it blur or disappear? Is it possible to include a picture of what it looks like? Red dots should, theoretically have really wide ranges of eye reliefs within which they are effective.

This last question is not meant to be a wise crack, but have you verified that the scope is facing the right way? I only ask because I have seen people at the range look through their own scopes the wrong way and do not know how much experience you have with them. I apologize if I have asked a dumb question.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I think he is talking about the 4x scope that Hi Point sells. If it is that scope then it is not a red dot. I don't know much about the scope but the eye relief should be between 2 to 3 inches.

6. wingman

wingman Member

You are right steve. This is not a big deal, but I was expecting to be able to see the full scope reticle at 3". At that distance, the vision through the scope tube is reduced to about half size. When I put my eye at about 1", I see the full tube diameter through the scope. I am going to take it to the range and see how it works, but I think I will be going to a red dot (tube) next.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015