AK-47 lower handguard question

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by 47_MasoN_47, Feb 28, 2008.

1. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

I'm looking for a good lower handguard for my GP WASR-10. I read a few reviews on a product similar to this one and some people mentioned melting after shooting 200 rounds or so. I personally have gotten my WASR hot enough to make it produce a substantial amount of smoke and am wondering if melting is something that is highly probable.

If anyone has another alternative, I'm looking for a lower handguard that I can attach a foregrip to and a flashlight on the side.

Thanks guys.

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Can't see the link from work, but does the handgaurd have a heat shield?

3. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

It WILL melt if you get it hot. ther is no heat shield inside it. You could fab one if you wanted.

SW

4. 47_MasoN_47

Yeah I figured that, I didn't think it had a heat shield but I wanted to get another opinion. Is there somewhere that sells those heat shields? I don't have the equipment to make one (that I would trust) myself.

5. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

not that i know of. a local machine shop could make you one but it would likely be spendy.

SW

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Try this one it is a UTG series. All the UTC series I have seen look like they have done pretty good with them. I do not think you would have trouble with it...

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html

[​IMG]

7. I have had synthetic furniture on several AK's and have it now on my Saiga. I have never had any problem with it melting in a semi auto AK. Im sure its possible if you just bump fired like there was no tomorrow and swithched mag after mag. I just dont have enough money to waste ammo like that.
    I dont know if it would work with the handguard you are looking at but Kvar sells heatshields.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16817&cat=296&page=2

8. 47_MasoN_47

That UTG looks pretty sweet. I have a UTG scope mount on it right now with 2 picatinny rails, I've been very impressed with how strong and sturdy it is. Right now I'm leaning toward that option. I may have to go ahead and switch out the buttstock too since it will look a bit odd being the only wood on the gun. That'll come later though.

Thanks for the link on that heatshield. I may still look into getting that if I can't get enough money to get the other one within the next few weeks. I just bought a new CD deck for my truck (Eclipse 3200) and paid my credit card bill so I have $22.13 in my checking account right now.

9. Ari

Ari Guest

$22.13 I guess you eat popcorn tell payday :wink:

10. 47_MasoN_47

Haha I have $120 in my pocket for food/gas for the week :p

11. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I have a buddy with the UTG one, and he likes it. I have the UTG quad rail on my AR, and it's nice and solid too. They're a little heavier than some brands, but they're good stuff!

If you still want the poly stuff, a heat-shield could easily be made with "roofing flashing" from Home Depot.

12. 47_MasoN_47

Sounds like the UTG is the way to go, I'll probably order one of those within the next 3 weeks or so. Gun parts are always keeping my fund levels low.

13. Oh the pain. I just ordered 6 cases of 5.45x39 ammo from Century today. And bought a shotgun last week and 25 AK47 mags from Aimsurplus.

But yeah, stick with the UTG rail. Gets good reviews from the AK guys.

14. Ari

Ari Guest

I would like to play with the 5.45x39

15. Dude, if you have any disposable money at all, buy buy buy 5.45x39 from Century. Buy as much as you can ever afford. It is 119 a case with 12 dollar shipping per order (not per case) unless you go over 500 which then makes it free shipping.

Don't buy the gun, buy the ammo and buy buy. It is the cheapest ammo period on the market today. Its less than cheap factory reload 9mm.

16. 47_MasoN_47

I wish I had more money to spend on firearms. I only have 10 mags for my AK and 3 for my HP. I'd like to have about 30 for each haha. Being in college sucks balls though, I can't work full time so my pay sucks. Generally if I get above $500 in my checking account, it's time to buy more parts.

17. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    Hey Mason,
    have you considered a Romanian wood lower HG with the vertical grip? I see them for sale pretty cheap sometimes when guys do builds, and you could screw a rail right to the side of it. It's cheap and easy, just not as tacticool as some of the plastics, and it won't melt.

18. 47_MasoN_47

I thought about getting one of those. Do they make any where the grip is straight down? All the ones I've seen seem to curve forward a bit. I don't think I'd like that too much.

19. Huggy

Huggy Member

SEPA
    I haven't seen any with the grip straight down, but there's plenty of other stuff I haven't seen :|. The forward curve is actually more comfortable than I thought it would be, and it could always be cut a little and sanded to look less curvy. There's the underfolder LHGs which have a slight backwards curve... but they're probably near impossible to obtain on the cheap.