ak-74 muzzle brake question

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by base871, Apr 12, 2008.

1. base871

base871 Guest

Just wondering, i've got a romy ak-74 in 5.45x39. Barrel is not threaded for a muzzle brake. Is it legal to thread and put one on? Also, i think the barrel might be smaller than a standard 7.62, so most of the aftermarket brakes will probably be too big. anyone out there delt with this?

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

If the rifle is already 922r compliant, you can add as many "evil" parts as you want, as long as they're U.S. made, or don't put you over your parts count.

Don't know what the deal is with AK-47 brakes fitting the '74.

3. Once you put an aftermarket brake on and/or break the weld on the muzzle nut or thread the barrel, bang, instant 922r compliance required.

So if its an imported sporting rifle and you add the aftermarket muzzle brake, now you have to meet 922r which mean 5-6 parts us made. Forward grip, stock, pistol grip, trigger group (3 parts) will get you there. You also could do a gas piston and not hav eto do one of the stock/grip parts.

4. I think that they make a pin on brake for the AK's that don't have screw threads. I think that all you have to do is knock out the front roll pin on the sight and slip it on and replace the roll pin with the one that comes with the brake. Remember as the other posters said about complying with the 922r law. BTW the best I can remember they make the AK LOUD.
    Spot

5. sdacbob

sdacbob Member

There's an excellent article in this month's issue of Special Weapons magazine entitled "Upgraded WASR-2 5.45x39mm. He used an adapter that mounts with 4 Allen screws and the muzzle brake just screwed onto that.

6. sdacbob

sdacbob Member

There's an excellent article in this month's issue of Special Weapons magazine entitled "Upgraded WASR-2 5.45x39mm. He used an adapter that mounts with 4 Allen screws and the muzzle brake just screwed onto that.
    He got them both from Brownell's although I've seen them from a few other places as well.

7. base871

base871 Guest

Great. Thanks for all your help. I measured the OD of the 74 to the OD of a wasr 10. Seems the same. Im guessing that they probably use the same hunk of metal for both calibers. SDACBOB-thanks, i,ll check out that article!