AK prices soon to explode

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Digger44, Mar 26, 2008.

1. http://www.classicarms.us/

"THE AK RIFLE MARKET HAS BEEN CRAZY OVER THE LAST FEW WEEKS, AND FOR GOOD REASON. I HAVE KNOWN WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES WERE THAT HAS CREATED THIS SITUATION BUT WAS NOT AT LIBERTY TO POST AN EXPLIANATION UNTIL NOW. THIS IS THE STORY AS I UNDERSTAND IT.

THE MAIN SOURCE OF AK RIFLES INTO THE U.S. OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS BEEN THE COUNTRY OF ROMAINIA AND PARTICULLARLY THE CUGIR FACTORY WHICH WAS A STATE RAN MANUFACTURING PLANT. THEY HAD CONTRACTS WITH THE IMPORTERS HERE AND WERE BUILDING AK RILES FOR EXPORT TO THE CIVILIAN U.S. MARKET.OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS THEY HAVE SHIPPED THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF AK RIFLES INTO THE U.S.

FOR SOME TIME NOW ROMAINIA HAS DESIRED AND BEEN PETITIONING TO BECOME A NATO MEMBER NATION. ONE OF THIER ROADBLOCKS HAS BEEN THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE BEEN PRODUCING LOW PRICED AK RIFLES FOR EXPORT ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY TO THE U.S. CIVILIAN MARKET. I AM TOLD THAT THE POWERS THAT BE IN WASHINGTON HAD MADE IT CLEAR THAT AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUED THIS FOR PROFIT "PROLIFERATION" OF AK RIFLES INTO THE U.S. THAT THE U.S. WOULD CONTINUE TO OPPOSE THEIR ENTRY INTO NATO. FRANKLY THERE IS NOTHING NEW ABOUT THAT AND THEY CONTINUED TO BUILD FOR A LONG TIME SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY NEEDED THE CASH FLOW THAT THE SALES OF THE RIFLES PROVIDED.

THAT IS UNTIL RECENTLY. LATE LAST YEAR A MAJOR AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURER SET UP A NEW FACTORY IN ROMAINIA. THEY COULD NOT DO ALL OF THE WORK IN HOUSE AND DECIDED TO JOBBER OUT BUILDS ON SOME OF THEIR STEEL PARTS TO A NEARBY FACTORY. WHEN CUGIR WAS APPROACHED WITH THIS OPPORTUNITY TO RE-TOOL AND MAKE AUTO PARTS INSTEAD OF RIFLES THEY JUMPED AT IT. IT SOLVED THEIR POLITICAL DELIMMA WHILE ALLOWING THEM TO MAINTAIN A REVENUE FLOW. AS OF ABOUT 45 DAYS AGO THE CUGIR FACTORY IS DONE WITH FIREARMS MANUFACTURING AND ALL OF THE ROMAINIAN AK PRODUCTS ARE DRYING UP FAST.

ON ANOTHER FRONT. CENTURY ARMS HAS HAD AN ONGOING AND VERY SUCCESSFUL PROJECT GOING WITH THEIR YUGO B-1 AND AB-2 AK BUILD RIFLES. UNFORTUNATELY THERE WERE ONLY A FINITE NUMBER OF KITS TO BUILD THESE RIFLES WITH AND THOSE KITS ARE NOW EXHAUSTED. CENTURY'S YUGO RIFLE PROJECT IS NOW DONE. AS I WRITE THIS WE NOW ARE OUT OF THE UNDERFOLD RIFLES AND ONLY HAVE LESS THAN 100 OF THE B-1 RIFLES IN STOCK.

SO WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD?. MY EDUCATED GUESS IS THAT WE WILL SOON SEE SOME U.S. MADE AK RIFLES COMING TO THE MARKET. BY THAT I DON'T MEAN ENOUGH PARTS TO BE U.S. COMPLIANT, BUT COMPLETELY MADE IN THE UNITEDS STATES. THE PROBLEM IS THAT SINCE NO MORE PART SETS CAN BE IMPORTED INTO THE COUNTRY WITH BARRELS INTACT, AND SINCE THERE AREN'T THAT MANY PARTS SETS LEFT HERE WITH BARRELS, THEN ANY NEW BUILDS WILL ALSO HAVE TO HAVE U.S. BARRELS. COMBINE THAT WITH ADDITIONAL U.S. PARTS, FURNITURE AND U.S. LABOR. AND YOU HAVE A VERY EXPENSIVE U.S. MADE AK RIFLE. I WOULD ALSO GUESS THAT MOST IF NOT ALL OF THESE RIFLES WOULD HAVE TO HAVE SOME TYPE OF POLY STOCK SINCE WOOD STOCKS MADE IN THE U.S. WOULD BE COST PROHIBITIVE.

UNFORTUATELY WHEN THESE LAST IMPORTS SELL OUT I REALLY THINK THE DAYS OF THE INEXPENSIVE AK RIFLE ARE GONE.
    NONE OF THIS TAKES INTO ACCOUNT THE CURRENT POLITICAL CLIMATE AND THE FACT THAT WE SIMPLY DON'T HAVE A STRONG PRO-GUN CANDIDATE LEFT IN THE RACE. THIS TOO DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR THE FUTURE OF THESE TYPES OF RIFLES."

2. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

now Im really upset that i passed on a NIB Romanian SAR1 for $350 at my gunshop but im glad ive atleast got 2.

3. This is a shame

Frantic articles like this are a real shame. If the poor fellow had been killed with a 22 caliber target pistol he would be just as dead. AK47s get a bad rap. The BATFE calls it an assault weapon. I prefer to call it a "home defense rifle." I have one, and I'm glad I do.

4. Jettster

Jettster Member

If I recall, more Americans are killed each year with 22's than any other caliber. So...

5. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

It doesn't matter what angle the media emphasizes. I can see plainly from under the brim of my tinfoil hat :D what their ultimate goal is.

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

I have three and thats likely all ill ever want. Also this story smacks of BS created to increase prices over fair value.

SW

7. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

Quite possible. I guess we will know for sure about a year or so after the election, and much of the I have to get it while I can momentum has been spent.

8. Ari

Ari Guest

Labor cost here are way cheaper then they would be in the EU LOL. BBC reported that BMW are laying off 8000 Germans and moving that production to their Southern Cal plants.

9. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

poor krauts just can't compete with mexifornia.

10. So the important question is...
    does any body know what Dunhams has them for right now? I need to know if I should make the drive

11. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member

Looks like I'll never have one...

12. I really do not think so. Classicarms has an excellent reputation in the business, keeps prices low, and has honest dealings.

The yahoo story is bunk, so I agree with you if that is what you are referring to.

13. I just bought another AK today. One of the AES10Bs at Classic Arms.

Awesome looking gun, I am going to refinish the stocks though, they are in natural and not very pretty.

I might also duracoat over the parked finish. Might make it smoother and slicker looking.

But what a deal.

That makes I think 6 or 7 aks I have plus the 10+ kits in reserve. I might be sitting on some money in the bank. :)

14. Fenix

Fenix Guest

So anybody here think I should buy an AK now for 300 or save up and build my AR build(~1200)? I don't like the idea of not being able to have another politically incorrect rifle in my collection because of politics.

15. Dave_H

Dave_H Member

Well, that is a good question. I'm in the same boat. I was going to buy an AK anyway, but there are a few things I was going to get before I did that.
    I figure there is no harm in switching the order around and getting the AK first.

AK's for less than $400 are a great bargain.

16. i'll be getting one on fri. WOOT!

17. Yeah but I'm not gonna be able to afford to shoot it for a few weeks. What decided me me was hitting a couple of stores since since this got posted and all seemed to have had a run on the AKs. Even the overpriced store full of snobs was down to a single underfolder that they have had for months. All the wood stock ones were gone.

18. Sniper 995

Sniper 995 Guest

same here in my neck of PA, most places sold out, even bigger run on ammo. It seems america is arming up with AK's for some reason??????? :eek:

19. For the oldest reason of all...

To make a profit. If you can buy one now for $450, and sell it in six months for $700....that's what most people have in mind, I believe.